Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Sat, 24 September 2005 10:26 Go to next message
after gettin my 1G-GTE RA40 celica running (its a manual), i took it for a drive and something weird happened. i was going along, turbos were probly just starting to spool and the engine died for a second without warning. i kept driving and was about 300 metres further along the road and it died again without warning. i gave it a second , cranked it over and it started no problems. then i just parked it in the shed.

i checked the check engine light and got the following codes;

- 14. according to toymods tech articles this is ignitor related. at the moment, the coil pack is bolted to the engine bay with one M6 bolt (tempory). could it be a earthing issue maybe?? Confused
i assume this is the cause of the dieing whilst driving?? Confused

in the toymods 1g diagnostics table thing there is no listing for a code 16 Confused . however after searching the forums i found this;

ddeane wrote on Sat, 30 November 2002 17:55

Gee I hope u have not taken the car for a drive yet 'cos u will be real disappointed. Check light 16 refers to the knock sensors - which means the the ecu will have reacted and retarded the ignition lots - the car will run like a dog. Most likely cause will be loose plug on one of the knock sensors. There are 2 of them and they are located under the inlet manifold.

Unless u have also swapped over the speedo U will also have a check light 42 when u get the beast on the road. This is easy to get around just use a cruise control pickup on the tailshaft. A 42 appears if the engine runs for 3,000 rpm for longer than 20 secs while stationary!

Craig

from this thread;

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=7009&rid=4696&S=a6be19aef9614f10e396455e 3475a1a7&pl_view=&start=0#msg_57518

another thing to note is that while the engine is idleing, it splutters a bit, like popping sound. could this be the ECU going into "protect engine mode" and retarting the timing?? - due to the code 16? Confused

the engine seems to go fine whilst driving though.

im totally confused now. help me!!! Razz

thanks in advance

brett

edit; something else weird is that the idle stepper motor seems to be dead. after the first ever time i started it, it seemed to be jammed open. the engine would idle high and once it started to warm up, it wouldnt idle properly. it would go; idddddddddllllleeeeee(2 secs)......ddddddiiiiieeeeeee(2 secs)....iiiiiiddddddddd....etc.

so what i though with that, is that the ecu though the engine was idleing while there was infact a whole heap of air bypassing the TB - ie fuel not being kept up.

could it be that i forgot to connect an earth wire or a postive in the loom somewhere that supplies power to either the knock sensors of idle stepper motor?????

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2005 00:42]

Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help Sat, 24 September 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RE: the idle hunting issue, it's the ISCV not getting power, get out your multimeter and see for yourself - the 1g wiring diagrams should help you figure it all out.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help Mon, 26 September 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, forget the code 14, it was a loose wire.

so...., can anyone confirm/dismiss the code 16???

thanks

brett
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought code 16 was to do with asutomatic transmission

usually the knock sensor is code 52 or 53
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to clarify, it has "M/T" sticker on the ECU box so i assume that means manual transmission. and yes, it has got a manual gearbox.

could it be speed sensor related thing?? the engine is in my RA40 so there is no speed sensors hooked up.

okay.........just took it for a drive with both knock sensors disconnected. low and behold, it threw a code 52. however, code 16 was still being thrown though Confused

could the code 16 be idle SV (whatever its called) related?? ill go out and check that there is power being fed to it later

brett
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1G coil/igniter grounds through its base so if u dont have good contact/earth it will be a little bitch Rolling Eyes
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my friends 1ggte used to thro out code 16

i could not find what it was except some toyotas had code 16 for the auto

i just said to him to put switch on the ecu light or not worry bout code 16

i know some 1ggs have a knock control box i think

maybe its something to do with that
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 1g-gte M/T is throwing out a code 51... only just started to happen, really odd! Apparently its the neutral start switch or A/C switch - neither of which are in the wrong!

It's causing me a few headaches because the car seems to be running richer than normal and the idle is high and a bit rough...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 13:04

My 1g-gte M/T is throwing out a code 51... only just started to happen, really odd! Apparently its the neutral start switch or A/C switch - neither of which are in the wrong!

It's causing me a few headaches because the car seems to be running richer than normal and the idle is high and a bit rough...

51 means you haven't hooked up something properly.
In a factory car, it means the auto is not in P or N, OR that the fan and AC are turned on.
ie, its not in the proper mode for diagnostics.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 1G has throws 51. but since i am using the old loom to actually start the car i didn't wire the N/S but i have just ignored it, i will wire it one day Smile.

As for an ECU with M/T i am not sure if the gen3's are any different to the gen 2's but all of them are manual ECU's, and they come with a separate "add on" for the auto's.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZida, the only reason i'm puzzled is because I haven't change a thing, and never have seen the code pop up before Smile

I am going to go over the wiring tommorow or tonight.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 16:05

My 1G has throws 51. but since i am using the old loom to actually start the car i didn't wire the N/S but i have just ignored it, i will wire it one day Smile.

You didn't wire in +12v to the ECU via the STA wire when it is cranking? Or you just haven't shorted the NSW switch in the 1G loom (so the ECU doesn't get +12v at the NSW pin when cranking, but still gets voltage at STA...).

Cheers
Wilbo
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just haven't shorted the switch. i still wired the 12 STA signal. i will get around to it. it will take me all of 1/2 a second to do
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota likes to use same codes thru most of the engines

code 16 for a 1j and also for a 1uz has something to do with
the automatic transmission

says a transmission control signal problem

what about the neutral start switch
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 19:50

toyota likes to use same codes thru most of the engines

code 16 for a 1j and also for a 1uz has something to do with
the automatic transmission

says a transmission control signal problem

what about the neutral start switch

Confused Confused Confused

very strange considering as far as i kno, this engine has always been a manual transmission.

the engine is a gen3 so it was probly made in 1989/1990.

is there a code for the ISVS (whatever it's called Confused) because having it unplugged doesnt make the ECU throw any other codes.

another thing to consider; i disconnected the battery for 10mins and reconnected it. without starting it, the code was flashed imediately Confused

its got me bluffed.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just one of those weird things

i have th ejapanese workshop manual on a 1ggze and it doesnt have anything on code 16

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 19:18

another thing to consider; i disconnected the battery for 10mins and reconnected it. without starting it, the code was flashed imediately Confused

That usually means a sensor is out of spec, or possibly the ecu is fried.
Can you try another ECU?

Also, check the continuity of every sensor from the ecu plugs.
Check it against the 7MGE TSRM.
Make sure all sensors are within spec.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Mon, 26 September 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hows it drive now?

is code 16 giving you any driving issues?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Problems with my 1G-GTE - need help - code 16 Tue, 27 September 2005 11:22 Go to previous message
Bugman wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 09:15

hows it drive now?

is code 16 giving you any driving issues?

car seems to drive fine although i assume it hasnt been fully boosted yet. IC is bolted in place but not connected. i got a dodgey (temporary) flex hose that joins the IC pipes.

time will tell i guess Confused

being in townsville, i suspect that i would own the only 1ggte in town Razz - but if the code 16 seems to affect the drivability/performance ill have to organise a test ecu.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4A GZE Intake Manifold
Next Topic:microtech vs haltechvs anyother eng manage sys
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:46:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055179595947266 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.