Forums Junkie

May 2002
sw20 shocks in ae86/ra60 struts Tue, 27 September 2005 03:37 Go to next message
dug this up off:

http://driftworks.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=242 1
Rolling Eyes

anyway...

Quote:

SW20 fronts or rears will work, but are slightly different strokes and damping.

I run SW20 fronts with a 12mm spacer in a 40mm chopped strut.

If you want superlow ride height (which I think you probably do), you may as well just get the HTS with a bigger spacer, as the stroke is even shorter than the SW20 stroke.

is that seriously how much you have to space/cut things up to fit the sw20 shocks into the struts? how much different are the fronts vs the rear sw20 in this application?

surely theres a better option out there re: shock interchangability, than this???

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sw20 shocks in ae86/ra60 struts Tue, 27 September 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't you listen? Razz Like I said, the fronts are much lower than the rears, by around 20mm IIRC. The rears only need a ~40mm spacer and are also a slightly shorter stroke, which is a good thing with a lowered setup.

I have some rear SW20 shocks that I haven't installed yet, like I said, and am happy to measure them for you - all you have to do is ask.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sw20 shocks in ae86/ra60 struts Tue, 27 September 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man i must be blind - when did you write that??

still, 40mm is quite a bit of a spacer... how did you make it? just a turned down slug of alloy in there? or did you cut the top off the struts?

cheers
ed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sw20 shocks in ae86/ra60 struts Tue, 27 September 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Sat, 24 September 2005 01:54

Yes, Sw20 mr2 strut inserts fit - I have rear ones ehre I plan to use in mine with a ~40mm (rough estimate as I don't have stock ones out to compare to) spacer. Front ones are even shorter still, IIRC (it was a long time ago I worked this out) ~60mm shorter. Lots of nice adjustable stuff available for these Smile - I'm got some GAB 8-ways.

Go to monroe.com & have some fun with the online parts ctaalogs and .pdfs of shock dimensions.

i think i mustve been concentrating on the 'monroe dot com' bit and went hurridly off trying to get some dimensions... that said, monroe dot com was pretty crapola...

cheers
ed
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sw20 shocks in ae86/ra60 struts Tue, 27 September 2005 05:19 Go to previous message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 15:05

man i must be blind - when did you write that??

still, 40mm is quite a bit of a spacer... how did you make it? just a turned down slug of alloy in there? or did you cut the top off the struts?

cheers
ed

I wrote it in your other "what strut inserts fit xA6x struts" thread.

Haven't made the spacer yet. You can't really re-thread struts, so I can't see cutting the top off ever being an option. I was going to use a stack of big washers, actually. Some of the yanks do this, normally most of the advice or "facts" on celicasupra.com is bs, but in this case I don't think it's such a bad idea.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Torque specs
Next Topic:4AGE Loom questions with pics...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:29:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042140483856201 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.