Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 05:45 Go to next message
Hey guys , how much will it cost me to drive from ADELAIDE to PERTH in a GZ20 ??

Ross has told me they do 12L/100km ,

whats the distance ADL - PER ?? anyone know ??

also how many days will it take 2 ppl to drive pretty much non-stop ??

all help much app

cheers
-Richo
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt it would have poor fuel economy on a highway cruise unless you were on boost a chunk of the way. It'd probably take you a day and a half to get there.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look at this:

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/mapping/geocodeAddr essesForDirections.do?brandid=1&fromStreetNumb er=&fromStreetName=&fromPoiType=&fromS uburb=Adelaide&fromState=South+Australia&f romLocation=-34.927766%7C138.60124%7C%7C%7CCity+Ce nter%7C%7CAdelaide%7CSouth+Australia&toStreetN umber=&toStreetName=&toPoiType=&toSubu rb=Perth&toState=Western+Australia&toLocat ion=-31.950682%7C115.860334%7C%7C%7CCity+Center%7C %7CPerth%7CWestern+Australia&modeOfTransport=1 &x=100&y=5

I like this bit the best:

Continue along EYRE HWY, PORT AUGUSTA WEST
Distance 1664.36 km Time it will take 22 Hrs 12

Looks like an exciting drive Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 05:58]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is's timing is very generous too, ie i drove to goulbourn/wakefield park and it took me under just under two hours (and i can only do 100kmph on the freeway) it estimated around two and a half hours to get there.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Where is's timing is very generous too, ie i drove to goulbourn/wakefield park and it took me under just under two hours (and i can only do 100kmph on the freeway) it estimated around two and a half hours to get there.

The times for Where Is are based upon the average driver in the average car, not a highly skilled dorifto pilot in an RT142 touge weapon. Of course you're going to get there quicker Rona Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How's i know something like that would come up Smile Rolling Eyes

Actually they allow a lot of time for traffic etc. Pretty much everywhere i have been using it it has taken a lot less time to get to the destination then said and I have not been speeding or driving abnormally at any time.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whereis told me it would take 55 minutes to go from North Ryde to Engadine. I guess Whereis wasnt adding in the fuckaround factor caused by Idiots that cant drive in peakhour traffic without causing a major traffic jam, cos it took me 90 minutes.

Not Happy Jan
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bwahahahahah it told me it'd take over an hour to get to the go-kart track at picton when we went it took about 30mins and that included getting stuck behind some really slow cars.

It told me it'd take a long time to get to silverwater for the dyno day ie over an hour, i devised an easier way to get there and alas it took like 45mins.

Generally in the above situations i have been driving early morning or the middle of the day on weekends which probably helps a lot.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're picking up a car it might be cheaper to ship it back to Perth via rail. A girl at my work did this a few years ago and it was around $350.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay heres some advice from someone thats driven it 5 times..

Adelaide City to Norseman (WA) is 2750km. Add 250km to go north to Kalgoorlie and add 550km to Get to Perth. All up 3550km.

Doing the math, 12L per 100km, you should expect to use a total of 426L of Fuel, equating $553.80 if you go by $1.30 a Litre but do not go by that figure because fuel between Norseman to Ceduna is overinflated and through the roof in price, to nearly double that.

Its going to cost you like 500 to stick it on a Vehicle Transporter so you might as well do it.. Its not worth driving it back.

Oh you could do it in 2 1/2 days between 2 people non stop by the way. The Greyhound bus does it in a little over 2 days, but the problem is that you need to watch out for Roos like mad!
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have never driven it before it might be worth it just to see some new places but otherwise just transport. Your time = money
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow ! what a response guys !

well i really would love to do the drive , because it will mean i *might* have a soarer a bit sooner ,

the only thing stopping me is the worry i have about wasting the car on the big drive by hittin a roo

so i guess $600 and a 2 week wait from TOLL is the best option :(Sad
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoTrans should be cheaper than Toll..
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just called them then (autotrans) , will be $700 - $750 and 6 days (inc sat+sun) for transport from the day the car is dropped at the depot in ADL

Autotrans = SAFE
Driving myself = fun and quick, but i think the riskyness out weights the fun and quickness.

but the woman from Autotrans told me when driving a loudish car it normally deters the roos from running on the road - so she said it would be kinda safe to do the drive. or i could just sit behind a truck ?

Ticket to ADL is $200 - 300 and the fuel will be $600

gah so many things to think about

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 07:43]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sit behind a truck and ruin your headlights windscreen and paint with flying gravel?

id def get it sent over
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John, lets go next week ok, Smile
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-AE86 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 16:08

John, lets go next week ok, Smile

oi matt , im seroiusly considering it !
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuel to cover the trip - say $600

Getting the car Shipped - Say $700

Breaking down in the middle of the nullabor , with an imported car , that no Road assistance jockey will know about, and that you really dont know the service history of = $priceless!

Just get the damn thing shipped , save your time , wear and tear , and possible risk of breakdowns ..

Its logical !
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 16:33

Breaking down in the middle of the nullabor , with an imported car , that no Road assistance jockey will know about, and that you really dont know the service history of = $priceless!

Just get the damn thing shipped , save your time , wear and tear , and possible risk of breakdowns ..

Its logical !

im with him!

ive lost a car on the nullarbor before. sure it was only a shitty old Civic but thats still enough to write it off.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 18:33

Its logical !

Road trip come on if it all works out fine what a cool way to christen your new car. Risky yes, boring more than likely but i still say do it.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Tue, 27 September 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
driving is the way to go IMO, but then i like being on the road, while others dont. Smile
it may be tiring at times, but that's what a tent and the side of the road is for. Razz

in March i drove from Bundy down south and over to WA and back (you can read about it in the link in my siggy), i originaly drove over from WA to Qld back in 98. (actualy been the whole way around Oz in the feral).
i am heading back to WA mid october to live again, will be driving my feroza and was hopeing to find a cheap car trailer to tow the feral over with, i cant find anything thats with-in my price range (and the cheap one i seen wouldnt hold a go kart). i do not want to send it on transport.
so it looks like i might have to tow my box trailer over with all my junk in it (i was going to send it via transport) and will have to leave the feral in Brissie and come back and get it later and drive it back. (heres hoping fuel has gone down by then). Confused
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
road trip in the hizzay!!!

w00t

oi coffee when do you want me to call this chumparoo about this car?
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remember what a certain comedian said (i can't remember his name Embarassed )

"If u are thinking about getting in a car and driving across the nullabor...fucking don't!"

LOOONNNNGGGG straight section...whilst at 150-160 it MIGHT be bearable, i tend to think it would be boring as hell

And also what classique said, if something breaks, well u are stuck in a desert in the middle of no-where...enjoy!
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i say DO IT!

if anything dose happen(u brake down) think of it as part of the adventure... who knows mayb there is some hot country chicks out there(like my wonderful stay in Coober Pedy)

but make sure to post pics when u get back.

(make sure to get insurance b4 u take off then if anything does happen its only a waste of time)
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
..and if you do break down expect the bill to get your car back to perth to cost more than the car did.. you break down out there, consider your car a writeoff.

and the straight stretch youre talking about up there is the 90 mile stretch after Caiguna. you sit in cruise control for 150km doing nothing but staring at the road wondering if theres a lake at the end of it because the mirage's are so bad.. it makes the road longer than it actually is. and you dont speed along here, because eucla cops are scum that patrol the highway back and forth all day looking for revenue and catching speeders..

trust me its a boring arse drive. the only things worth seeing on the way are -

1. norseman BP. trucker scum, trucker scum and more trucker scum.

2. madura cliffs at sunset.

3. the cliffs over the nullarbor at either 5km south of Eucla, 1km south of Nullarbor or offroad near Border Village (SA)

4. the locals in ceduna. theyre not quite south australians, theyre definitely not west australians. in fact im not even sure if theyre australians.

other than that its a boring arse drive that you should only ever experience once.. by watching "Thunderstruck"

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2811/sign2xz.gif

dont let signs like this bother you, only thing i hit was a magpie... Laughing
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/5440/animalsign6nt.th.jpg

if your car is in good mechanical order there is no reason why it should break down. at each stop i had and meeting the other Mr2 guy's the feral copped another flogging and still made the trip there and back with out any problem. (well other than having to replace a heater hose i noticed had a small split in it after i got to WA). Wink
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ive investigated,

$700 and 6 Days , Mon - Sat of next week from Austrans

or , Tuesday $315 Ticket to ADL , Free Accom, Free Food then a $600 fuel cost to get back in 3 days

HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROFL at the Spare Tyre on the Roof of Teh Feral! Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Wed, 28 September 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy i had no where else to put it, usualy dont carry a spare (just a couple of them tins), as i was going so far i thought i better take a 'real' spare tyre. so i whacked up a aluminium frame and bolted it to my lift up eng lid.
i liked it, gave the car a touring look IMO. Wink
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coFF33 wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 20:51

ok ive investigated,

or , Tuesday $315 Ticket to ADL , Free Accom, Free Food then a $600 fuel cost to get back in 3 days

I don't know where you are getting $600 fuel bill from.

The distance is 2698.67km city centre to city centre.

The car should not use any more than 10L/100km so = 270 litres

Average fuel price will be around 1.55/L = $420.

For better scenery once you get to Norseman go south to Esperance then Ravensthorpe, Lake King, Newdegate, Lake Grace, Dumbelyung, Wagin then get onto Albany Highway at Arthur River. There is negligable difference between this way and Kalgoorlie, you do get the bonus of driving across the super flat and straight road across Lake King, maybe stretch the Soarer legs a bit Wink
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but whatever you do.. do NOT take the "shortcut" from balladonia to esperance (bypassing norseman).. it will add a day to your trip, possible five days in a GZ20 mark my words!
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that "track" is a bit rough. Apparently they were going to seal the road but Norseman kicked up a fuss, don't know whats happening or has happened to that project.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 29 September 2005 08:07

coFF33 wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 20:51

ok ive investigated,

I don't know where you are getting $600 fuel bill from.

The distance is 2698.67km city centre to city centre.

The car should not use any more than 10L/100km so = 270 litres

Average fuel price will be around 1.55/L = $420.

i was told the GZ20 1ggte does 12L/100km
and i also heard on the way the fuel is near the $1.80 mark

but hrmmm if it is that price it would be worth going on a drive !
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said right at the top of the thread, it's not going to be that bad fuel economy on a big highway drive. 10l/100km is probably a fairly realistic estimate (even though I'd say it should dip under 10 comfortably).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and be prepared to enjoy the 108kph buzzer and cruise that doesn't work above 108kph Razz
Phyro
Regular

September 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI, as you know i just got mine (gz20 aswell) down from sydney, so double the distance,
But in the end i flew up on a cheap flight with qantas satday morning, was there by 12:45 i think, checked the car out, did the paper work, and was on the hume by say 1:30. doing about 1xxkm/h along the hume, stopping for decent sized lunches, was no major drama at all. Chuck a fuel additive cleaner in your tank aswell coz nows a good chance to clean injectors n shit. not shit. dont clean your shit, just flush it down man. Ignore that comment. anyway, the ding ding noise kicks in about 105km/h on my model but i was getting 600km to a tank
well i would have if i wasnt enjoying the boost a fair bit - hey boost virgin remember.

makes for a fun trip.
if i lived near, i'd come along for the ride too.

cheers
Phyro
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The buzzer problem is simple as follows:

1. Remove buzzer
2. Throw buzzer out window

You might pay 1.80 once at border town caiguna or something like that but a full tank in adelaide will only cost 1.3x (please correct if wrong adelaide locals) Norseman is about 10 - 20c cheaper per litre than the most expensive servo on the nullabor. Get the owner to through in a couple of jerry cans as a sweetner and fill them up with cheap fuel Razz
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN YOU GUYS MAKING IT SOUND SO FUCKING FUN !

i think im gonna do it guys , i think i will !
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's an experience.

If you have already done the trip like me (4 times) there is not much chance id drive it just to pick up a car, but if I had never done it then it would be a definite consideration. Your choice of vehicle will make it alot more pleasant aswell, i mean luxo soarer. Ive done it in buses and a piece of shit 2.2L diesel Hiace van that could only do 90km/h on a flat road with no wind blowing and no aircon fitted in the middle of summer.

Which reminds me it was so hot we had a whole heap of soft drink cans explode which i think myth busters have shown twice is impossible??
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Thu, 29 September 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 29 September 2005 10:07

For better scenery once you get to Norseman go south to Esperance then Ravensthorpe, Lake King, Newdegate, Lake Grace, Dumbelyung, Wagin then get onto Albany Highway at Arthur River. There is negligable difference between this way and Kalgoorlie, you do get the bonus of driving across the super flat and straight road across Lake King, maybe stretch the Soarer legs a bit Wink

indeed, i was born in Esperance. it's a very nice place and some top beaches. the feral (and most of the other cars i've owned over the years) enjoyed the esperance to perth route.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Fri, 30 September 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have driven from Bris > Syd to get on the boat back to hobart and that was a pretty good trip, make sure u take someone with u, else u will be fucking bored!
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: WHAT IF I DRIVE ADELAIDE TO PERTH ?! Mon, 03 October 2005 15:53 Go to previous message
sure its an experience, maybe even an adventure but will it be an adventure when ur pullin over to change a tyre then some fat ass lonely trucker stuffs u into his trucks probes the lviing shit out of ur asshole with his penis and his club lock and wat other shit he can find near him, then he beats the crap out of u and dumps u on the side of the road then before u die all u see is ur new soarer that u will never be able to drive cos ur ass hurts so bad ur never gonna be able to sit properly again yeah waiting a week or so for shipping doesnt seem so bad now does it im just joking and am bored i reckon u go raod trip baby wOOt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How many toyota's have you got around your house?
Next Topic:enthusia professional racing help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:21:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073919296264648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.