Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Connection IPOD to car CD player?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Connection IPOD to car CD player? Thu, 22 September 2005 02:01 Go to next message
hey

ive got an ipod mini and the itrip which allows me to listen to my ipod through the car stereo system..its wireless and pretty easy to use but cause it works on FM frequency the quality of sound is crap...im looking at finding a way to connect the ipod to the cd player with wires for better quality.

does anyone have there ipod hooked up with there cars system?

How do u have it hooked up?

What options do i have?

thanks ppl
  Send a private message to this user    
lowrlux
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Thu, 22 September 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does your stereo have the option for an additional input? IF not you don't have many options. You can buy a new stereo with a simple input jack on the front face. this allows you to play through the stereo, but control the iPod via the click wheel.

Alternatively if you want to spend a bit more you can get a control box the connects to the iPod and the stereo (you need an ipod enabled stereo for this). This will allow you to control the iPod via the stereo buttons and have full text display on the unit. It will also charge you iPod as well.

There is possibly another cheap option if you have an amp, you could connect the iPod via RCA's to the input of your amp and bypass your stereo. I think this should work, but it is messy.

Hope this helps.

rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Thu, 22 September 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or if your headunit has an AUX input you could plug it in there.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Thu, 22 September 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much stuck with FM modulator or Tape deck converter Smile

I feel that all FM ones on teh market, suck! i have belkin and itrip for mine and both are useless. So i use RCA connectors into the back of my deck

Alot of aftermarket manufacturers are making little black boxes for the ipod to connect to, then connect to the CD stacker interface on the headunit and trick the deck into thinking its a stacker

Im looking at the clarion one for my car, even shows CD text on the deck so can hide the ipod away Smile
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Thu, 22 September 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Does your stereo have the option for an additional input? IF not you don't have many options. You can buy a new stereo with a simple input jack on the front face. this allows you to play through the stereo, but control the iPod via the click wheel.

Alternatively if you want to spend a bit more you can get a control box the connects to the iPod and the stereo (you need an ipod enabled stereo for this). This will allow you to control the iPod via the stereo buttons and have full text display on the unit. It will also charge you iPod as well.

There is possibly another cheap option if you have an amp, you could connect the iPod via RCA's to the input of your amp and bypass your stereo. I think this should work, but it is messy.

Hope this helps.

i dont have the manual for my stereo yet ill pull it out and have a look at it soon but i really dont want to replace it and buy one that is ipod enabled or one with an additional imput..

what input are u referring to?

if i does have an option of an additional input what do i need to connect it to the ipod?
i found the black box thing your talking about they use the 6 cd stacker imput but its $189.99
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Thu, 22 September 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most of the JVC range has a AUX INPUT.
that stands for auxiliary, which means u can plug in any device (usually through the head phone jack). it will play exactly what you would normally hear in this case; to change tracks you would still need to use the buttons on ur ipod. there might be a head unit out there which has a ipod dock of some sort.

the other option is to buy a bmw or the like which have ipod integration and it shows u track names on the dash under the speed dial. u use the steering wheel buttons to change tracks etc...

or you can wait for digi radio to come out here(prob 2 years away) and then get a digital radio transmitter for the ipod, the quality will b much better.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Fri, 23 September 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Friend bought a Clarion off the net for his subie and it had an aux input for a 7pin (think) cable from a belkin adaptor that allowed cd controls to run the ipod
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Fri, 23 September 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pioneer has an Ipod adapter.

If you have a Pioneer headunit with P-Bus (used for the stacker) you can hook it straight up and control the ipod via the head unit, it also displays the tracks and stuff on the screen.

You can also get an FM modulator that plugs into your antenna connection on the back of your headunit. I would go for that, if you dont mind controling the tracks via the ipod. Because it connects to the antenna conection it reduces the noise and improves the Sound qual. Not sure how much they are though.

GL with it.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Fri, 23 September 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got alpine with an ipod controller, can control the ipod as if it were a stacker. It is a little clunky though, as navigating days worth of music with the volume knob is a pain in the ass. It is generally quicker to select the music before plugging it in Confused
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Mon, 26 September 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/2926/image7405fo.jpg

i bought one of these today...its just an RCA adapter cable thing u plug into the back of ur headunit...i didnt do much thinking into buying it, it works but not how i want it to...because i have my 6x9s n my sub running off an amp and my front speakers off the head unit so when i plug it into the headunit it only plays out of the speakers which r connected to the headunit(Front 6inchs)..makes sense

do u reakon there is a magyverism i could pull n gettin it playing through out all speakers and still be able to play cds..even if i have to connect my 6inchs to my amp aswell thats not a problem...

the other thing is take it to a pro n see wat he suggests...
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Mon, 26 September 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have my ipod running through the p-bus on my pioneer with a rca cable that I just cut up and clipped onto the right pins. Really good quality sound, you can't use the headdeck to control the ipod but I spent $5 instead of $180 or whatever. There are premade plugs like mine that I think sell for $80.
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Tue, 27 September 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
p-bus?

ill try n draw the set up i have on paint maybe it is simular to yours
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Tue, 27 September 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a Pioneer headunit get this... http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/acc essories/cdib100/index.html

It's worth $199rrp but you can get it cheaper if you shop around.
Clarion and Alpine have equilivent units. Advantage is that you can hide the iPod in operation. Also the ability to control the iPod from the headunit and charge it at the same time is great. The use of Griffin's iTrip is OK but the iPod's battery wouldn't last long at all (experience with iPod Mini Gen1).

Cheers.
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Connection IPOD to car CD player? Tue, 27 September 2005 08:07 Go to previous message
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4216/untitled7qg.png

thats how my system is set up atm...any q's just ask
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:VIDEO- TA22 Burnout
Next Topic:What 5speed can i put behide my corona
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 00:16:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075700283050537 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.