Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » water bypass needed?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
water bypass needed? Tue, 27 September 2005 12:12 Go to next message
The thermostate blocks water from going through the radiator, when cold. But when the thermostate is closed, the pump still circulates water though the motor via the bypass hose/port. In some motors (4A-GE) there is a plate on the back of the thermostate that also blocks the bypass a bit when the thermostate is open.

Question: do I need this bypass? If I don't it makes my 20valve rwd conversion easier. The heater pipe works as a bypass, but thats not always on. If I have no bypass, will the motor get hot spots and die?
  Send a private message to this user    
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: water bypass needed? Tue, 27 September 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a post some time ago where I think someone used a 4AC thermostat housing to keep the bypass. I think the 4aAC one was "free floating" supported by the hoses and not bolted to the gearbox. I'm not quite sure without going and having another look but if you block the bypass I would expect that you will get hot spots in the engine with less than desireable consequences. Yu need some wter circulating around the engine at all times. The radiator just gives you an external way of automatic variable control of exess heat.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: water bypass needed? Wed, 28 September 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 100kw 4ag fwd and mr2's have a remote thermostat housing!the are great for conversions
mick
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: water bypass needed? Wed, 28 September 2005 05:36 Go to previous message
do a search for witzl's article on the subject, its the way i did mine.

4AC FWD corollas have remote thermostats too, from what i could tell they are identical to the 4AGE ones.

and to answer your question, yes, use a water bypass, it will heat up your water quicker and avoid hot spots. No real reason not to do it, apart from neatness at the cost of reliability.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ARP head studs where
Next Topic:Low ratios for F series
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:29:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060529708862305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.