Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » DLI For 3SGE... Sort of.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wraith
Regular

October 2003
DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Wed, 28 September 2005 06:27 Go to next message
This is my problem- I'm installing a 3SGE into a SA63 (what's new eh?) and I'm trying to work out how to manage my ignition. The intention is to use a Megasquirt, but I want to use the pickups in the distributor body instead of a wheel on the front pully like the Ford EDIS. Basically- what do I need between the distributor sensors & my spark plugs?
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Wed, 28 September 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's someone ins Sydney whose worked out how to adapt megasquirt to the factory sensors on a 3sge (turbo?) on this forum somewhere - searching for megasquirt should drag out the guilty party.

Oldcorrolas is also a confirmed user and i'm just the overly keen evangelist...

some helpful reading:

success story on 3sge <http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=8328>

configuring MSnS-Extra to talk with the stock MR2 VAST ignition <http://members.cox.net/jdlaugh/index_files/Megasqu irt%20configuration.doc> (from <http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=5417>)

OEM dizzi with 24 tooth wheel and a single second pickup and wheel with 2 teeth, or two pick-ups with a single tooth < http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/wheel2.htm l> - known as "2nd Trigger" Wheel decoder configuration for MS-n-S.

cheers,
Charles.
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Wed, 28 September 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks man. I had a dig and apparently need four "VB921", one per coil-on-plug. My main drama is that I have to lose the dizzy cap, thereby necesatating some way to ignite the spark plugs at the correct time some other way (hence DLI). I don't particularly want to bung a Ford EDIS-4 setup on (toothed wheel on the front of my motor?) but I didn't think the Megasquirt II had four igintion outputs. May have to wade through some more info...

cheers
Ash
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Wed, 28 September 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Msquirt doesn't do Coil-on-plug - just waste spark.

i'll try to find the username of the person on here who's converted their 3sge to msquirt
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Wed, 28 September 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK wasted spark and coil on plug are not mutually exclusive, you will just be firing two coils instead of one.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Wed, 28 September 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For waste spark you need 2 ignition outputs and 2trigger inputs , I'm running waste spark on my 3SGTE in my TA22 , I have kept the dizy for the triggers and discarded the cap and am using 2 4AGZE twin post coils and 2 Camry igniter's with Haltech ECU .

Trevor
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Thu, 29 September 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 21:12

Msquirt doesn't do Coil-on-plug - just waste spark.

i'll try to find the username of the person on here who's converted their 3sge to msquirt

I'm not so sure about COP. I believe you CAN do it with a 2nd trigger input.

You have one wheel with many teeth, and one wheel with one tooth. These are camshaft sensors. This means MSNS-E can synchronize with the full engine cycle, all 720 crank degrees. Next you program how many teeth each trigger point is after the sync pulse. Then you can use the LED outputs on the megasquirt with 4 VB921s to drive 4 coils. Done.

look here http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-whee l.html

MSNS-E only, not MSII

That guy you are thinking of, i think this is him...

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=usrinfo&a mp;id=10300&rid=572&S=8f5f439d527cf7409285 7f0844f109eb

username lmr052, same name on www.msefi.com

Cheers
Chris
SPYDER.UK
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Fri, 30 September 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there from a rain soaked UK! You can use coil on plug in conjunction with an DFI IGNITION UNIT from HYPERPAK in NZ.
I had one of these sent 12000 miles to england and it works a treat! It uses the existing triggers in your dizzy and takes care of the ignition advance curve. It changes from 15 degrees btdc at tickover to 32 degrees btdc at 4000 rpm if my memory serves me correctly. It requires coil plug caps of 1.5 ohms or above. These were difficult to find in the UK. I ended up with KAWASAKI ZX6R superbike plug caps (Nippon Denso) which measured 1.2 ohms plus a meaty 0.5 ohm oil cooled ballast resistor.
Four wires to the plug caps,four wires to the dizzy plus a power supply and a really substantial earth connection. The HYPERPAK box gets warm so I fitted a finned heatsink and a small cooling fan.Works fantastic!
When using a timing light it produces a really stable reading.
I am of course using carbs, not injection.
Photos can be seen at http://ntlworld.photobox.co.uk/shared/browse.html? c_album=1460235&page=all&group=

Search "SPYDER SILVERSTONE" for more details
GEOFF

[Updated on: Fri, 30 September 2005 15:20]

wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: DLI For 3SGE... Sort of. Tue, 04 October 2005 11:55 Go to previous message
I can't thank you guys enough! Great info here. I think I'll go down RA40Celica's route, as that was pretty much what I was looking for. If I can't work that out, the Hyperpak thing looks doable, though I'd rather set the ignition timing myself. Cheers Guys!

Ash
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE rwd gearbox
Next Topic:trd gearset
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:09:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043928623199463 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.