Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » scraping 4age efi for side drafts??????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Tue, 27 September 2005 22:20 Go to next message
my question, im currently converting a red top 4age in my 86, but im having heaps of problems wiring up the loom to run it.i bought a microtech system an still having trouble with it.an im thinkin of just putting side drafts on but im not sure bout how to run the dizzy??? anyone who's done this conversion any info on how u done it would be much help.

...thanx dave Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 23:49]

Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4age carby conversion??????? Tue, 27 September 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't do a search, this has never been discussed before. ever.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Strong has done it, have a look at www.racingstrong.com, it might be worth asking on www.mr2oc.com as well.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can buy little black boxes on ebay that will take care of your ignition advance for you, although they are not programable
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont bother!get someone that knows 4ag's and the microtec and get it tuned properly.i love carby's and i love efi,but the only reason to use a carby in my opinion is on a big cube drag motor to get the big flow for less money!
mick
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you are having trouble wiring up an aftermarket ECU, i think you should pay someone who knows how to.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i bought a microtech system an still having trouble with it.

even after reading the INSTRUCTIONS Shocked

I am not qualified to do squat on a car but wiring up a microtech on a 4AG was one of the easiest things I have ever done. It is about 4 wires harder than a tacho Wink

EDIT: there are also some issues around reverting from EFI to Carbs on a 4AGE AE86, you may want to ask your rego folk about that as it probably won't meet the emmission requirements any longer. Thus making rego a painful experience.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2005 06:24]

September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the more pertinent point is if you are trying to avoid the complexity of installing a Microtech by reverting to carburettors then you're definately barking up the wrong tree.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe he is being sarcastic with the eye rolling at the end of the post??????

This is the only explanation I have for why you would do such a thing.
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so waht ur sayin is that converting it to carby would be more complicated than figuring out my microtech.an also an autoelectrician is doing my wiring for me hes a mate.hes almost done the loom but hes stuck on the crank angle sensor?.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carbs on a 4AG has all the logic of inviting an alcoholic to a wine+cheese night - unless you insist on doing it for some kind of nostalgic reason, don't bother.
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i made the mistake of buyin a couple of looms an tryin to mix match standard ecu's to no avail.so i purchased the microtech but hes still runnin into problems.ive not had my car runnin for ten months an the wirin is the only thing stoppin me ive spent lots of money(because i did it the wrong way in the first place).now im just wonderin what would b the best an easiest way to get my 86 runnin an back on the road.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude.. if you already have a microtech, then it is a seriously easy job to wire it up. I have yr10 electronics experience and still had no dramas witing up my 1j (which has 2 more injectors Shocked ). You might want to find a different mate to wire it up for you... and if it's an MT-8 or one of the old ones, make sure it was set up for a 4a-ge, as they're no longer being reprogrammed by mtech
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its a mt-8 series i bought of wolfwood he said its mapped for a 4age but my mates haven trouble splicing the looms.i never got a loom withe ecu so hes splicing the micro plugs into my rwd 4age loom but hes stuck on the cas wires.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. call microtech and get them to fax you MT-8 4a-ge wiring diagram for a red top.
2. Get wiring diagram for 4a-ge redtop
3. match up all labelled wired to represented colours.
4. solder & shrink wrap
5. ???
6. Profit
7. Be touched by his noodly appendage.

seriously, with the 2 wiring diagrams, and the right tools it'll take a few hours, including removing all the shit you no longer need
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mayb thats the problem i gave him the pin diagram off there website for toyota 4 cylinder ill call em in the mornin.but the problem with that is its a different loom for my red top the looms from a jdm 86 which would b a blue top so the coulors r different??. ....guess im in a bad predicament Confused
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah forget it.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2005 12:03]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well what I did with mine (and is BY FAR the easiest) is to call up microtech, get a loom made up for your engine (if they still do them) and just tear out the factory loom (except for the essential wires, like aircon control, tacho, etc) and just run a single microtech loom, wired into the sensors/injectors/sparks.. that way there's no messing with guessing wire colours at the firewall, you know exactly what you're wiring everything to.

and if you're running a blue top loom you might want to get your hands on a blue top wiring diagram. (I have nfi about 4a engines, but I remember something about the colour of the top not being the best way to identify them, not like SR20 engines)
WYSIWYG
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Wed, 28 September 2005 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my carb'd 4AG is emmisions legal in NJ USA. check the link below for my setup
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: scraping 4age efi for side drafts?????? Thu, 29 September 2005 12:22 Go to previous message
thanx for all ur help i spoke to microtech an they cleared alot up for me my mates takin the loom to jazmac.

.......cheers all dave
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggte plenum
Next Topic:1GZ-FE V12 Firing Order ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:09:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052738189697266 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.