Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Idle-up VSV?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ctan13
Occasional Poster

September 2004
icon5.gif  Idle-up VSV? Sat, 24 September 2005 07:30 Go to next message
Hi all,

My 4AG redtop is having some idling problems and I've been trying to locate the idle-up VSV and the closest thing that I could find is this. Can anyone tell me what is this part exactly as I can't seem to find any info in the web by it's part #. And can someone be kind enough to take post a pic of your idle-up VSV. Thanks heaps.

http://nikonnut.multiply.com/photos/photo/3/1.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
ctan13
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Sun, 25 September 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I see that no one has picked this up. Reason for my asking is that my engine rpm drops once the electrical load increases. Even when the engine fans come on, the rpm will drop 100 somewhat, then comes back up when it turns off. Same thing happens when the brakes are depressed. For the aircon though, it will idle up when the blower is at the slowest speed, but the rpm drops progressively when the blower speed is increased. So it gets pretty bad (rpm drops to 500 and near to stalling) when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day with the aircon on, a hot engine and with the constant stop and go. I'm thinking there could be something wrong with the idle-up vsv, or is this part just for the aircon? Anyone? Thanks.
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Sun, 25 September 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think thats the ISV
Theres another idler up valve thing as well, the section on the side of the air box that runs up the throttle body to bypass it, effectively oppening the throttle a touch.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=77169&rid=4570&S=d06a3a04fdefec6390564af 3fe3b589b
theres some pics of the part i'm talking about here
ctan13
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Sun, 25 September 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lachie, I don't see any pics in the link you gave.
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Mon, 26 September 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Their there, if you PM me an e-mail addy then I'll send them to you
ctan13
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Tue, 27 September 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lachie,

Check your PM. Another question ... how easy is it to wire up this valve? Two wires only right? One to the ECU and the other?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Tue, 27 September 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you wire up the electrical load sensor (ELS) to the ECU? Sounds like it could be a problem with your alternator too - the regulator might not be picking up the voltage drop when the load on the system increases?
ctan13
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Wed, 28 September 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat,
sounds ligical enough. Where is this ELS located and what does it look like?
ChrisTH
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Idle-up VSV? Wed, 28 September 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a 1J myself but have been through similar problems. The hardest thing is to get proper docu. For your case, try to load the following manual. I think it will be usefull for you in general (a big file, just to warn you).

http://www.foriago.com/EngResource/Automobile/toyo tacentral/engines/4AG/Docs/4A-GEManual.pdf

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2005 06:32]

ctan13
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Thu, 29 September 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,
After combing thru the forum for pics, I found 1 from HighRolla that showed the part I might be missing. HighRolla, hope you don't mind me using your pic.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~benl1981/corolla/Throttle%20body%20pics/TB1.JPG

The valve with the green electrical connector at the lower right - is this the idle-up VSV? The hose runs from the n-port to the valve but where does the other hose go to? - the intake box? I have the same looking connector but it's not green in colour and not connected to anything. So one of these wires should be connected to the VISC pin at the ECU? Any inputs appreciated.

ChrisTH, thanks for the link. Nice to have the whole manual in pdf format instead of the individual image files.
ChrisTH
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Idle-up VSV? Thu, 29 September 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check this one out also:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h26.pdf

That explains all the types of idle control that are in use and how they are connected.

I think your engine has the VSV type Idle control. That means that the valve muset be connected to the V-ISC output on the ECU. For the vacum hoses it is streaight forward. 1 is connected somewhere before the throttle and one after (somewhere on the manifold, or just after the throttle).

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 02:13]

sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: Idle-up VSV? Thu, 29 September 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

(a big file, just to warn you).

MAn I think everyone on toymods must be looking at this site. I am using one of the fastest academic internet links in Australia and it is taking ages! (unless the server that the file is on is using dial up!)

Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: Idle-up VSV? Tue, 11 October 2005 01:47 Go to previous message
Any one know if the part (the ISV) that is in the pic of HighRolla engine bay is a standard AE82 part? The same part on the AE92/3 (100Kw smallport) a solenoid that lives in a housing that is moulded part of the airbox, so you can't remove it when you remove the air box.

I've thought about cutting the moulded section of the airbox (since I now have a pod) out an AE92 airbox, but if this part is a direct replacement (excluding the plug), then I might just use that
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need help with turbo timer.....
Next Topic:20v Kw reading???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:49:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053579807281494 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.