Toymods » Tech & Conversions » central locking installation

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
omz23q
Occasional Poster

May 2005
icon5.gif  central locking installation Sat, 24 September 2005 13:18 Go to next message
Hey,
have a 1990 toyota camry and i wanna install central locking. I already bought a pretty good kit, but i never owned a toyota before and i seem to be having problems removing the door trims without damaging them and feeding the wires discretely thry the doors. Jst one other thing wat would be the best way to connect it to the battery...
p.s. been fiddling round with it and not gettn to far so any help would be greatly appreciated..
Cheers!
  Send a private message to this user    
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: central locking installation Sat, 24 September 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to discreetly do the wires i drilled through door and where the door comes against the chasis, if ya know what i mean, and put them in that 10mm black ribbed stuff with a split down the middle, only coz there wasnt already anythin goin thru there and it was an ass, so i duno if its the best way, only way i could think of, dunno bnout the trims, i got a ke70 so they are prob pretty different but all i did was take all the bits that stand in the way of trim, winder, handle, etc, and then there were little push in plastic clips all round the edge that u just get close to and pull away,. but i duno in ur case, connectin to the battery, i ran a wire straight to it throgh a hole in the firewall, if not piggy back off a permanent to a interior light or somethin
omz23q
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: central locking installation Sat, 24 September 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey thanx for the tip!..do u think that it is risky in any way to go str8 to the battery?..jst one other thing i got quoted $200 for installation so i am willing to do it myself but i dun wanna get half way thru and get stuck..so im jst tryin to find out as much as i can before i actually start..one other thing..is installing the actually actuators in the doors difficult or is there sufficient room for em where they wont get in the way of the window?
Thanks!
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: central locking installation Sat, 24 September 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, put a 10amp inline fuse somewhere in the engine bay and it should be sweet

installing actuators can be easy peasy or can be an effin arse, have a look, see how much room u go, remember ur actuator has to pull straight down, but u can put bendsin the middle of the rods to put them where u want them, i has issues with my winder mechanism hittin mine, but with some lookin and some fiddling u can find somewhere, have u got power windows? prob easier if u do but can be done either way.

when u drill the holes in the door for the screws to hold the actuator on the back of that inside door panel make sure u mark EXACTLY where u want them by lining them up on the outside, and marking through the holes in the actuator with a long thin scribe or somethin. then use a punch to create a indent so the drill doesnt wander. small things makes big differences, i learnt from experience Crying or Very Sad Razz Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

personally i would say its no biggy as long as ur patient, and are willing to move ur actautors again when uve moved them twice already, and u were positive they would fit. theres not alot of room for margin but its not worth 200 bucks to get someone else to do it, that cost is prob mainly labour,
g/l mate
omz23q
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: central locking installation Sat, 24 September 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah mate no power windows...i jst been trying to convinve myself for a week that i can actually do it..so yeh i guess ima have to give it a shot..the only thing that was worrying me was the connection to the battery..i jst thought it would be risky shit to fiddle with that stuff..
the bloke i spoke to said its for labour coz i am supplying my own kit..
any tips on position of the main unit where all the wires connect to..coz its a 4-door thats kinda got me stumped too...
thanks..
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: central locking installation Sat, 24 September 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got full faith that u will pull it off, i cant see connecting to ur battery a big prob, just run another cable to the where there are already some, disconnect the battery firstof course Razz well on my kit i had plenty of cabling being in a ke70 an all so i ran mine up over where the glove box is and screwed it to the beam up there, under the dash, along with my alarm. but it would be nigh difficult to do that without the front completely stripped, maybe behind a front kick panel, try hide it away behind ur blower box, under the carpet under a seat Confused
that was about the hardest decision i had to make aswell
gnight
~andrew~
Dopey_7
Newcomer

March 2004
Re: central locking installation Sun, 25 September 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have got mine done on the front doors of my sv12 fine, stuck something serious on the rears though, have moved the actuator a million times, nah seriously thought i had it this time and the screws with the brace continue to thrawt me, will take pics soon still in bed. Front doors are easy, i also put some 6: Splits in the doors on same day. but yeh got the rear ones in and they continue to rub against the door trim.
omz23q
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: central locking installation Sun, 25 September 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh some pics would be really great...i got up early this morning took the trims off the front doors and had a fiddle round and to be honest it looks real difficult..so jst thought id come back for some more advice if possible before i actually cause some real trouble with my doors and then i get stuck..but yeh pics would make it alote easier..thanx for the post!
Dopey_7
Newcomer

March 2004
Re: central locking installation Wed, 28 September 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone have pics of the back doors???

i can ge tthe front doors pics up this weekend hopefully
omz23q
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: central locking installation Thu, 29 September 2005 00:52 Go to previous message
thanx mate...i havin dun it yet...but pics would be so helpful
thanx!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hilux axle bearings, has anyone changed them?
Next Topic:Ignition Distributor question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 12:33:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00541090965271 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.