Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
1ggte plenum Wed, 26 January 2005 00:37 Go to next message
how much can the standard 1g plenum handle?? im looking at putting a big single turbs on it for 200rwkw and not shure if it will handle it
jesse

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2005 14:39]

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenim Wed, 26 January 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That should be fine.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggte plenim Thu, 27 January 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about 250rwkw?
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggte plenim Thu, 27 January 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock plenum flows 280cfm, the stock head only flows about 150cfm, even a fully done head, with about as much port work as possible and stock valves only flows 200cfm, so the answer to your question is that the manifold is good for as much power as your engine will ever make. I have made 310rwkw so far with one, although it melted 1 and 6 as the stock manifold flows 10cfm more air on 1 and 6 than every other runner, and if you keep the factory butterflies in there, they also make 1 and 6 flow 10cfm more again, so 20cfm total more air on 1 and 6. Thats a big difference when your running fair amounts of boost, or leaning it out past about 11.5/12:1 A/F.

I have since had mine power ported to solve the problem and built a new engine, I'm hoping for 358rwkw when my new engine is tuned and cams dialled in. One thing that may help you, if you pull out the stock butterfies and look at them, the shaft that goes through the runners and has the butterflies on them finishes short in runners 1 and 6, there is nothing in these ports, and this is responsible for the extra 10cfm of flow in these cylinders. All you need to do is drill and tap a hole for a 4mm bolt in the ends and screw a long bolt into the port. Problem Solved!! Now you only have to worry about the 10cfm difference in the manifold:)

6BOOST
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggte plenim Thu, 27 January 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you mind if i ask what modifications you have to be making 358rwkw on a 1GGTE?
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenim Thu, 27 January 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
600ST,

Would also love to know more about your insane 1G. Pics would be nice? Whats it in too?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a note to start with, it's Plenum, not Plenim. Anyhow.

I had heard from a rather reputable power porter that the 1g inlet manifolds are fairly crazy as is, better than a rb30 on after it's been ported, and that's in stock form. Evidently the heads are a limiting factor, so I would have to agree.

And as for the 1g making 350kw, I'd love to see what you have done, because I've done just about everything I can do past porting the head and inlet and I don't think I will be making quite that much power.

(Although that's not what my diff's been saying... .Wink
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol @ plenim
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 12:33

Lol @ plenim

LOL @ Strads diff going boom Laughing
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 13:18

Lol @ plenim

LOL @ joo's going LOL

*Wimpers over diff*
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 13:28

MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 13:18

Lol @ plenim

LOL @ joo's going LOL

*Wimpers over diff*

its ok strad...

*offers strad cheap price on G Series LSD Wink
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it 1380 mm wide and LSD? or is it just a center? if so, what center?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it has come out of a supra/soarer so I am assuming it is a clutch LSD, it has a housing attached but it is IRS...

Please note i have not pulled the back plate off so I cannot entirely verify it is an LSD but the way the axel mounts on the housing move indicate that it is LSD Smile
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AH, fair game, got the picture then, I'll get back to you if I need the center.
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car when it made that power had custom manifolds with a 65mm XF throttle, merge collector exhaust manifold, garrett 600 roller, 3" exhaust all the way through, ported head as fas as possible with standard valves, 5% better than specailised power porting have done, custom cam gears, and 29psi of boost. The car runs Motec M48 pro with individual coil packs. This combination was somewhat on the edge and made 431rwhp, and 521 crank horsepower. These are genuine numbers too, not bullshit hype figures.

The engine now sports massive Ivann tighe cams, power ported TT intake manifold, new extractors, a garrett 700 roller, a PWR water to air intercooler with dry ice tank, makes peak power at 9200rpm and revs cleanly to 10, and has made 380rwhp on less boost, LOTS less timing, and relatively untuned AF at 10.4:1. The auto also has cost me 50hp at the tyres, which would bring that figure up to 430rwhp to compare to previous when it was manual. I'm hoping to make around 420-440rwhp on pump fuel and 25-27psi and conservative timing, and plan on backing up the dyno with some 9 second passes. Its all stuffed completely under the bonnet of a KE70 corolla panel van with borg warner diff, billet axles, and VT commodore brakes front and rear.

As for pics, you'll have to watch zoom magazine in 5 or 6 months, they are hopefully shooting the car next month.

6BOOST Smile
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where'd you get the adjustable cam gears from? and how much of a pain in the arse is taking off the head to get it power ported? Becuase all that shit you have there in the first run is exactly what I go, short of the cam gears and the porting.. Makes me wonder a touch.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats awesome 680OST Very Happy

i wonder how mine is gunna go if i lean on it Confused
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenim Fri, 28 January 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
680OST wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 17:21

The car when it made that power had custom manifolds with a 65mm XF throttle, merge collector exhaust manifold, garrett 600 roller, 3" exhaust all the way through, ported head as fas as possible with standard valves, 5% better than specailised power porting have done, custom cam gears, and 29psi of boost. The car runs Motec M48 pro with individual coil packs. This combination was somewhat on the edge and made 431rwhp, and 521 crank horsepower. These are genuine numbers too, not bullshit hype figures.

The engine now sports massive Ivann tighe cams, power ported TT intake manifold, new extractors, a garrett 700 roller, a PWR water to air intercooler with dry ice tank, makes peak power at 9200rpm and revs cleanly to 10, and has made 380rwhp on less boost, LOTS less timing, and relatively untuned AF at 10.4:1. The auto also has cost me 50hp at the tyres, which would bring that figure up to 430rwhp to compare to previous when it was manual. I'm hoping to make around 420-440rwhp on pump fuel and 25-27psi and conservative timing, and plan on backing up the dyno with some 9 second passes. Its all stuffed completely under the bonnet of a KE70 corolla panel van with borg warner diff, billet axles, and VT commodore brakes front and rear.

As for pics, you'll have to watch zoom magazine in 5 or 6 months, they are hopefully shooting the car next month.

6BOOST Smile

That is teh shite I like!
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Fri, 28 January 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater, I can understand wen some people get scepticle about comparing thier own engine to ther figures, but, there are many factors that make huge differences to power. I forgot to mention in my first engine it had NA cams in it, which is no big deal. The head is relatively easy to remove if your mechanically inclined, my head is hand ported and my new intake manifold is a TT one power ported. The engine when first built had a supercharged intake manifold, cut off just where the plenum usually joins the runners, and had a 15mm flat plate welded to the runners. it was 75mm wide and I think about 450-500mm long, and this was thick enough to hand port bell mouths into the top of each runner. It then had a curved aluminium top, not unlike half of a 4" tube welded on, with an XF throttle on the front.

This, with cams, and possibly cooler and exhaust manifold could realistically add 100hp to your engine, i don't know, I had as big a cooler as would fit from Micks metalcraft, at 600x280x90mm, and my exhaust is basically a straight pipe all the way through, under the diff, with 1 straight through muffler and not cat in sight. Then there is the 4 pounds extra boost, and the possibility that I was running 5-10 degrees more timing, I think I had 21 degrees of ignition timing at 29psi and 12.8:1 A/F.

Compare these to some of the similarities of your engine and see whats different.

6BOOST Smile
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Fri, 28 January 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and I used to be a fitter and turner by trade, so I made the cam gears myself with help from a friend who had an indexing head, which is the bit to cut the slots for the bolts.

6BOOST
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenum Sat, 29 January 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome anymore info u got i would love to hear...
where abouts are you located?
id love to see this thing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Sat, 29 January 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6boost

are you the same guy that used to own a fairly insane turbo falcon?
jcmunga
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Sat, 29 January 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this has gone a bit off topic dont ya think, should this be moved to general car talk
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte plenum Sat, 29 January 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jcmunga wrote on Sat, 29 January 2005 15:57

this has gone a bit off topic dont ya think, should this be moved to general car talk

SSHH we are trying to listen
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenum Sat, 29 January 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siktoy ra23 wrote on Sat, 29 January 2005 17:54

jcmunga wrote on Sat, 29 January 2005 15:57

SSHH we are trying to listen

amen to that... ive never checked toymods so much waiting for somone to reply Shocked
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Sun, 30 January 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wanna do a bulk lot of cams Shocked love your work Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Sun, 30 January 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might have missed something here but I didnt read anything about forged pistons, or rods...does this mean you are doing all of this on stock internals?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Sun, 30 January 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
680OST wrote on Sat, 29 January 2005 10:48

I forgot to mention in my first engine it had NA cams in it, which is no big deal.

Having noticed that there is a fair bit of difference in the way the Gen2 and Gen3 turbo cams perform, I was wondering how it would go with the N/A cams in it. Did you notice much difference with these?
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Sun, 30 January 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

title=gold28 wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 10:12
Having noticed that there is a fair bit of difference in the way the Gen2 and Gen3 turbo cams perform, I was wondering how it would go with the N/A cams in it. Did you notice much difference with these?

Interesting, what is the difference in the way gen 2 and gen 3 cams perform?

Cheers Adam

[Updated on: Sun, 30 January 2005 23:26]

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Sun, 30 January 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You see, one get's up and dances, where as the other is more of a singer...
Wink
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty much what strad said.

I had a gen 3 (GZ20 grey plug) in my 28 it went well and cut out at 16psi boost. The big ends in the Gen3 died after a day at wakefield so I put the old gen2 (GA70 yellow plug) long engine back in. All the ancillaries, got transferred over including turbos sensors etc so all the external stuff is still gen3.

The gen 2 is a little sluggish between changes, whereas the gen 3 was making good power immediatly after changing gear. And here is the strange one. The gen 2 motor is swallowing 18-19psi of pressure and not cutting out. The only think I can put this down to is that it needs the extra pressure to make the same power/airflow as the gen 3 did at 16psi..... My poor little CT12's Lucky I have a spare set. I am going to turn it down after my run at eastern creek on the 16th. Very Happy

Thats why I was thinking about experimenting with the N/A cams.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm interesting, i thought that one done more of a PRANCE to Up and down by the Venga boys and the other did a rather merry jig.

Gold28

Were you doing this expirmentation via a stock computer, and if so did you run a gen 3 computer on the gen 2 motor or run a gen to ecu on the gen 2, as you describe it cutting out. Though i know that the cutting out is done via the afm maxing out.

Interesting you mention NA cams, i have heard that they seem to make the engine rev more but due to the overlap it tends to just loose half of the boost out the exhaust before it gets used not sure if this is true or not. Perhaps some could clear this up for me.

Cheers Adam
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it would make sense wouldn't it adam, given the fact that an NA motor enjoys overlap, whereas a turbo wouldn't.

And I believe the merry jig is more of a feeling mary, and apparently mary enjoyed it.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep everything was gen3 including ecu The only things that changed are what is inside the block/head/cam covers. The AFM maxing out is what made me think that the gen2 needs more pressure to get the same mass flow rate through the afm. Consequently it would take more pressure to make the same power as a gen3. I haven't put it on a dyno to confirm this though, the gen2 may infact be making more power due to the extra boost.

Oh and it think of it more a like comparing trance to a mosh pit. The gen 2 builds up it's power to a frenzy whereas the gen 3 is crazy all the time Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2005 05:05]

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was hoping for more of a 'get down and boogy' bobby brown style cam??
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a James Brown HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY, I FEEL GOOD sort of jig?

Interesting that you mention your comparison of the 2 versions of the motors, if you had changed everything over then it would have to be cams, unless there was something wrong with cam timing or you didnt time the dizzy right, though do you knwo if the NA cams would make all that big a difference as specs on cams for these motors i cant even find.

Cheers Adam

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2005 06:42]

Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do the later model 1G motors have the same size cams from the late model lexus ??????
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1g-fe ones?
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 19:31

the 1g-fe ones?

Yes
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To my knowledge (and it's limited) the fact that the model number is 1G - FE means that it's a different head. I know that much for a fact.
The block is the same but the head is different.
that said.

Don't those later model lexus's have vvti? If so, there goes your compatibility.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, they definetly have vvti. Being an FE head, it'll have scissor gears on them too.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, I think what JCMF's trying to say is, you haven't even got a snowflakes chance in hell that they are going to fit.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the translation Laughing
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Mon, 31 January 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the timing could be different, the top end of the Gen2 is also a little worn too but they do definitly perform differently. The Gen 2 delivers the power a lot smoother as well.

I guess short of pulling the cams out and comparing them, it is only conjecture but I am still interested to hear how the N/A cams compare.
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 01 February 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blacksupra, yes, I used to own the Turbo falcon, the white one in issure 59 of Zoom.

As for camshafts, cams with more overlap don't mean les power and you blow all your intake charge out the exhaust in a turbo engine. They will however be more laggy, as when the turbo is coming on boost through the mid range, they are to some extent doing that, blowing it out the exhuast. What will happen is the engine will make peak power higher in the rev range with more overlap, such as NA cams, as it can breath easier at high revs. When you have less overlap, at high revs the engine is struggling to get all the gas out of the cylinder as the exhuast valve is closed for longer while the intake is open, hence killing power.

I guess its all a trade off, you can have more peak power and a bit laggier engine, or quicker spool, less power and at lower rpm. My engine made peak power at 8200rpm on 15psi with NA cams, and 7600rpm at 29psi. You will find most engines will make peak power ealier with more boost due once again to cylinder pressure and back pressure starting to overcome the efficiency of the engine. The NA cams have 7.5mm of lift, and the turbo cams have 7.3. Not much of a difference, but everything helps. I think the NA cams have around 205deg of duration as opposed to the turbo ones which I think we measured at 194 degrees.

The one thing that changes it all is adjustable cam gears, as you can simply widen or narrow the lobe separation, which effectively change the overlap. I had mine set at 1deg negative on the exhaust cam, and 3 degrees advanced on the intake. We pcked up 23hp at 5000rpm, but lost 3hp at 8000rpm. For the ignition you will need to either have the single coil setup from a turbo engine, or 6 individual coil packs, as the factory waste spark coil packs from the supercharged engine, or any waste sparke arrangement won't handle anything past around 300-350rwhp depending on your plug gaps and if you have CDI. I use regular cheap plugs in my engine, they are BSPR7E-11's, with the plug gaps closed down to .8mm, I have 6 coils with CDI and it still breaks down with stock 1.1mm plug gaps, but close them down to .8 and it will make another 100hp at the tryres without breaking down.

I'm think of tryin the same plugs they use in big HP nissan engines, the number is R5671A-8, the electrode doesn't stick out the tip of the plug in the chamber, its nearly flush with the bottom of the threads on the plug, this pulls the flame front out of the squish in the chamber so its not blowing the spark out, as I think this might be the problem with the standard type plugs. Sorry if this is a bit off topic of the manifold, but I guess its only helping with what the engine can and can't do.

And the stock bottom end can handle this fine, Racecraft run 10.0's in the celica with stock wrecker engines, how long they live depends on how you tune them and how you treat them. I now only have forged pistons and shotpeened factory rods becuase my engine bay is too nice to be pulling engines in and out if I do break shit wrecker engines, no other reason. Don't go leaner than 12:1 A/F with the stock plenum, and don't run more than 16 degrees of ignition ting on 30psi of boost and it should be fine. You can run around 25-28 degrees on 15psi.

6BOOST Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 01 February 2005 01:26]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 01 February 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks 680OST!

Your information will be extremely helpful for when my new package is running Very Happy
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 01 February 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks 680OST,
You finally been able to give me an answer to what exactly does the NA 1g cam do in the turbo motor and some really dencent specs to compare them to the turbo cams which just shows that they are just that little bit better for the motor to make power but you managed to explain what happens due to the increased overlap. Though i suppose that this can be reduced or made bigger with adj cam gears.

Though when you say dont run any more than 25-28 degrees of ing timming on 15psi does that mean the max timming that you should run?

Cheers Adam
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 01 February 2005 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That means I wouldn't recommend running more than that of total advance, as in the numbers you punch into your computer in the 15psi load sites, as you may break things, namely your pistons. I didn't break my engine doing this, but ran that timing successfully, and it is a fair amount of timing on that boost, and we were always 3 or 4 degrees away from detonation from reading the spark plugs, which is plenty, just make sure you have your air and water temp compensations setup correctly.

6BOOST Smile
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 01 February 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and you don't need expensive cam gears, for those who don't already know, A lot of 1G's come out with different pin holes in the cams and a timing gear with 3 holes. So the end of the cam is drilled with 3 holes, one at about 9 o'colock, one at 12 o'clock, and one at 3 o'clock roughly, and the cam gear has 3 holes in it coresponding to these holes in the cam, except being smart cookies, Toyota have drilled the 2 holes at 9 and 6 3 degrees out of alignment to the cam centreline, so if you just pull the dowel out move it, you can advance or retard the timing, and for free!!! Just have a look next time your looking at some cams, it may just be the NA cams and cams gears, but it make be something to look for if you go chasing them.

Cheers...............6BOOST
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 01 February 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't even own a 1g and thats solid info! as I'm trying to get a grasp on this tuning thing.
When you traded 3 peak hp and gained 23hp in the midrange, what did it do for your torque ? Is that why that cam gear adjustment made ?
I'm trying to understand what has the greatest effect on torque;
ignition advance ?
Boost and displacement (obviously?)
Is that why some street turbo motors run an intake cam with more duration, for torque. I see most u.s. guys run a cam with more duration on the exhaust, and I'm wondering if thats done for higher pk hp.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 27 September 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy bejeebuz... how did i miss this thread for so long...

well just wondering if 6800ST could enlighten me as to the deg changes possible with the cam gears?

also i was wondering about the compatibility of ignition systems between the 1G-GT, and the 1G-GZ 'cause from what i can tell the Z has individual coils for each plug... how hard would it be to adapt something like this to the Turbo?? any suggestions?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 27 September 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GZE has waste-spark not Coil-on-Plug - so there should be 3 coil packs, each driving 2 plugs.

it would be easier to wire in an aftermarket ECU with a single crank trigger and drive the GZE coil packs. IF you wanted Coil-on-Plug then you need crank adn cam angle sensors.

have a search thru the Technical Articles at <http://www.autoshop101.com/>, from memory this PDF goes into how the Toyota waste-spark systems work.

the short answer: yes it would be hard to adapt, but if you feel like being a pioneer go for it! Wink

cheers, charles.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Tue, 27 September 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh fair enough... lol, no pioneering from me at the moment... too busy just getting the car on the road... off to the auto electrican tomorrow... wish me luck...

P.S. can anyone remember who was doing the 1UZ into RA28 conversion??? was that M.W.P.??
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: 1ggte plenum Thu, 29 September 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been looking into running a GZE ignition system on a GTE. If you could build a circuit to divide the igniter pulse to the relevent coil pack per revelution, it could work. Otherwise forget it on a standard ecu.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenum Thu, 29 September 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 22:52

GZE has waste-spark not Coil-on-Plug - so there should be 3 coil packs, each driving 2 plugs.

it would be easier to wire in an aftermarket ECU with a single crank trigger and drive the GZE coil packs. IF you wanted Coil-on-Plug then you need crank adn cam angle sensors.

have a search thru the Technical Articles at <http://www.autoshop101.com/>, from memory this PDF goes into how the Toyota waste-spark systems work.

the short answer: yes it would be hard to adapt, but if you feel like being a pioneer go for it! Wink

cheers, charles.

coil on plug might look trendy but far from being the most beneficial, so why would anyone wanna do that ?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Thu, 29 September 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my understanding was along the lines that it's hard to beat coil on plug... of course, it's one of those things... you can beaf up a standard dizzy ignition, but to compare them like for like... i thought coil on plug would have won...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1ggte plenum Thu, 29 September 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont get me wrong individual coilds for each plug is great but not just on the plug itself, to much heat will effect the performance, and since heat rises the coils will be effected more

hope this makes sence Smile (tired)
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1ggte plenum Thu, 29 September 2005 12:22 Go to previous message
surely it wouldn't get hot enought to make a notable difference though???
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to get off a steering arm? help!
Next Topic:scraping 4age efi for side drafts??????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 20:19:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010740995407104 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.