Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 09:54 Go to next message
hey all i was just wondering about my SA63 celica.
it has the original back set up with the drum brakes and was wondering if i was to pull the drum brake of would a rear supra ma61 disk brake and calliper bolt right on or is there alot of mods needed to be done as the drum brakes are now down to the screemers and was wondering if this disk brake conversion would be easier then replacing the crappy pads and still having shit back braking.

cheers
matt
Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replacing your rear drums with discs will not give you much better braking anyhow.. if you want braking, look at your front setup Smile
just replace the drum pads (or shoes, whatever they're called.. drums are for old fogies like river Razz) and look at some performance pads or a brake conversion (depending on how serious you are) for your fronts
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the front brakes are fully rebuilt and are in good nick but i want rear discs for that little bit better braking and it looks better then drumies lol.
so does anyone know if they just bolt up the same or is there a bit of work involved.

cheers
matt
Smile
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not too sure on the rear setup of an SA63 but if they do have independant rear suspension like the RA65 and MA61, they should just bolt on. Don't hold me to that though
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it has the independant rear suspension the t diff i think it is of the f series. the one with the drum brakes.
but since you said it should im going to HOLD YOU TO YOUR WORD lol only joking but thanks for that.

cheers
matt
Smile
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure RA65's use rear discs aswell, ill check tommorow when i go to the wreckers, becuase you could use them if you can't find any MA61's. If you do find an MA61 though, i'd suggest swapping the diff at the same time, LSD!
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear discs may have been an option on Aus RA65s, but I've seen or heard of one.

I believe the rear drum and disc swingarms are different, so you need to grab the whole swingarms (or just swap the complete rear subframe, and get an LSD too) from an MA61. Another alternative is the rear discs swingarms from an IRS Corona - I bought a pair of these for my RA65 - but unfortunatley they are non-vented discs.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What he said - it will bolt right up but you need the whole assembly with the trailing arms etc.

It's a shame you're in Adelaide, I have the whole setup from an MA61 sitting in my garage looking for a new home.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 29 September 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As above, you have the choice of just using MA61 trailing arms and hubs to get the discs, or you can use the whole MA61 rear subcrossmember and get F-series diff at the same time.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SA63's have T series IRS btw, is everyone 100% that MA61 swingarms bolt up fine still? I suspect that they prbly do...

Cheers
Wilbo
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swingarms yes, stub axcels & diff cradle I believe no. But if you swap the whole subframe, no issue. (I'm assuming driveshaft is the same...)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When Frank and I compared his T-series subframe to my F-series subframe, the only thing that was different was the bit that the diff bolts too.

We didn't get out the tape measure, but by eye the rest was identical.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 10:44

(I'm assuming driveshaft is the same...)

It isn't Wink The SA63 drive shaft is (at a guess) ~ 30mm longer, it would appear that the T series diff is not as long as the F series (makes sense).

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/diff/T_vs_F_2.jpg
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who's the shoeless hippy?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shoeless Frank Jackson
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 12:27

who's the shoeless hippy?

Why must is always be you Greg that picks on my shoelessness?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Rear Disk Brakes Fri, 30 September 2005 07:30 Go to previous message
*shrugs*
I'm totally hypocritical - come summer I never wear shoes Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ta23 swaybars
Next Topic:3SGTE in a ESTIMA