Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Sat, 29 May 2004 07:15 Go to next message
Has anyone used them? and was the work performed very professionally / nice guys to deal with?

The prices would appear to be an awesome deal. Cool

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2004 07:17]

Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Sat, 29 May 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep i've been told by a few people they are pretty good. IRA11Y will vouch for them (though be careful, he is a kiwi), as will Joel and a few others.

Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Sun, 30 May 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just got a quote for $800 for a full bottom end service ill be calling them thru the week

[Updated on: Sun, 30 May 2004 05:58]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Sat, 24 September 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all, just checking if anyone has some more detailed info on these guys? I am thinking of getting the 3s-gte all machined by them. But I cannot find any good or bad info. Most engine builders you can do a google search and find lots of references but not dominator.

Any feedback much appricated.

Cheers
Joel
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Sat, 24 September 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure Josh(joshstix) has had some serious engine work done to his 3S-GTE by these guys, he could confirm though...
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominator have my engine at the moment.
Joshstix did definately get his done there too.

From what I have seen of other engines he has built he does some good work.

Only fault with Terry is that he seems to be a bit of stuck in his ways... e.g. doesn't believe in ceramic coating pistons
but then this tends to be the way a lot of engine builders are these days.
Terry will do whatever you ask him though... but if he disagree's with something he will tell you he thinks its a waste of money.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure Dominator did quite a bit of machine work to Andrew's (ULTRAV) 3SGTE too... not 100% on that though.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yups as far as i know they rebuilt Andrews 3sgte as well ..

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
notice how all the engines that have been rebuilt there seem to be 3s-gte's.... this only adds to my theory.. 3s's spend more time out of the car then in the car Razz

not knocking them they are a beaut engine to drive but them just seem to break alot more then the 4a's... dunno is thats because they cop more grief but i couldnt imagine they cop much more then a lot of 4a's do.
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 14:17

notice how all the engines that have been rebuilt there seem to be 3s-gte's.... this only adds to my theory.. 3s's spend more time out of the car then in the car Razz

Probably got more to do with the fact that they cost a lot more to convert then 4AGE's, so if you spend the money to do a conversion with one then you may as well rebuild it and make sure its spot on.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not just ones that are converetd but ones that are stocko's seem to blow up with less provocation then the 4a's and i know of a few people on here that have given a rebuild only to have it blow bits apart only 1-2 years later.

again id say they get driven hard but there are lots of 4a's that get driven equally as hard and dont seem to explode as regularly.

dont get me wrong im not bagging the engine i quite like it just seems they arnt quite as indestructabl;e as the 4a's.. going places with the mr2 club it always seems that if someone is going to break down it will be a 3sgte
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the end of the day the 4ag is still the backbone corolla motor ..

it also wont see the perfomance like treatemnt most 3s's do - so yes , in performance cars they will get a harder life , then in an economy hatch

everyone i know thats had issues have lasted 200000 KMs - but raising the boost from factory is a sure way to show up their achillies heel - ie factory headgasket and studs ..

Same thing happens with 4agze's - Seek more power - reliability drops

keep it stock - you wont have the hassles

its pretty simple when you think of it

Also most 3sgte rebuilds are done to seek more power, people will spend more to make them stronger to handle 400 + hp usually with little fuss .. they do it once , and do it right

Anyway back on topic for Dominator ....

tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Mon, 26 September 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flem wrote on Sun, 30 May 2004 15:37

i just got a quote for $800 for a full bottom end service ill be calling them thru the week

Does this mean bearings, rings and hone? That is cheap as! Almost not worth doing it yaself, eh?
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Wed, 28 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my 4age prep work done at Terry's as well. Good bloke to deal with and he'll give you straight answers. My engine won't be run till the end of this year but his work looks the goods.

Eddie.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Sponsor - Dominator Engine Reconditioning - Opinions Thu, 29 September 2005 11:17 Go to previous message
toof wrote on Mon, 26 September 2005 15:32

not just ones that are converetd but ones that are stocko's seem to blow up with less provocation then the 4a's and i know of a few people on here that have given a rebuild only to have it blow bits apart only 1-2 years later.

again id say they get driven hard but there are lots of 4a's that get driven equally as hard and dont seem to explode as regularly.

dont get me wrong im not bagging the engine i quite like it just seems they arnt quite as indestructabl;e as the 4a's.. going places with the mr2 club it always seems that if someone is going to break down it will be a 3sgte

Just to set the record straight here my engine never died... it was in fact just pulled from the front cut with 40,000kms on it and torn down to receive aftermarket goodies.

UltRAV's engine didn't die from engine failure... the jap who owned it failed when they stacked the car so bad it ripped half of the subframe out of it.

I forget what Josh did to his... BHG or something I think.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Nokia car kit wiring
Next Topic:Holden 355 in Xa70 supra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:03:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050859451293945 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.