Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Tracking down a petrol smell?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon9.gif  Tracking down a petrol smell? Thu, 29 September 2005 14:07 Go to next message
Without using a naked flame or trusting a nose that has snorted too much Columbian marching powder, what is a good way to try and find the source of a strong petrol smell from inside the cabin of my RA23 (fuel tank behind the rear seat for those confused TA22 owners).
Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Thu, 29 September 2005 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get her up on a hoist, or up on axle stands, get under there, follow the fuel lines from rear to front, in the eninge bay, check all clamps and attaching area's of lines and look for leaks. If no sign of leak, try with the car on, as it may be evident (see petrol leaking Confused ) when the cars on.

Good luck.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Thu, 29 September 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its such a pain this.. I get a fuel smell in my RA28 every now and then and cannot find it. All hoses i've replaced, clamps, even the pipe between tank and filler neck. Breather line etc.

But still get the smell under certain circumstances (full tank, cornering).

I've given up.. Let me know if you find a good way!

But i've been told that a lot of hoses do 'breathe' and thats where the smell comes from.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Thu, 29 September 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fill tank up, gets mates to shake car while you 'sniff' selected locations with clean, odourless tube (much the same way you diagnose mystery engine sounds)?

Perhaps is time to change the charcoal canister in the engine bay?

Some tanks also have a primitive vapour control thing attached to the filler neck (smetimes just a tube that runs from close to petrol cap down to the tank. that system might be damaged.

The ma61 has a rubberseal between filler tube and body - if you get it on wrong (or dont have it) you get petrol fumes just after filling up tank - perhaps there is something untoward in the seals behind the filler cap in your ra23?
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Thu, 29 September 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had fuel smell in my Sprinter when the top of the pickup wasnt sealed properly, had to end up getting a new tank, that fixed it. The rubber seal could be carroded. Try replacing it, silicon doesnt work, it gets eaten. Smile
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Thu, 29 September 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can get your hands on one, there are "sniffers" out there that gas line technitions use to zero in on a leak. They basically re-set their zero as you go, so as you get closer and closer to the source, the sensor becomes more and more accurate. A bit like playing "warmer" "Colder", except with a gadget.
Their kind of hard to get though, so you might just be better off looking for "damp dust" along the lines, and dont forget the top of the tank where the sensors etc go in.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 23:47]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Fri, 30 September 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you everyone for yoru excellent advice, I will give it all a go, and if you don't hear a boom, I might have found the leak first.....
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Fri, 30 September 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is an old panelbeaters trick for finding water leaks, it would also work for fuel leaks.

Mix a couple of tablespoons of talcum powder( the better smelling the better Laughing ),with 400ml of metho, fill your paint spray gun, and start spraying around all fuel line joins, at hose clamps, and surge tank, fuel tank etc. Stand back for a bit, have a beer, or a coffee.

The metho will evaporate, leaving the powder behind, any leaking fuel, will wash the powder off, real easy to spot.

For car body leaks, just spray the door seals with the mix, let dry, and then hose the car.

cheers Chuck.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Tracking down a petrol smell? Fri, 30 September 2005 08:37 Go to previous message
TurboRA28 wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 07:01

But i've been told that a lot of hoses do 'breathe' and thats where the smell comes from.

My money is sitting here.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Is this a 4AGE Ignitor?
Next Topic:GT4 short shifter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:27:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010499000549316 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.