Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Intercooler piping question?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Intercooler piping question? Fri, 30 September 2005 13:50 Go to next message
I have a 1G-GTE setup in my RT-142.
With a small front mounted intercooler, the piping is 2.5' just from guessing.

I am getting a bigger IC but am not sure whether to get 2.5' or 3' inlet/outlet on the IC.

They both cost the same but I am thinking that the piping to set it up would be cheaper if I used 2.5'
I am not chasing huge horsepower figures but what limitations powerwise will a 2.5' setup have over a 3' one, if there is any?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Intercooler piping question? Fri, 30 September 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2.5" will flow faster (boost earlier) but restrict top ed, if you end up maxxing the capacity of a 2.5" pipe.

wont be too much difference though.
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: Intercooler piping question? Fri, 30 September 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cross-sectional area of a 3" pipe is about 40% bigger than 2.5" pipe, so in theory a 3" pipe can flow 40% more than a 2.5" pipe can.

Whether this will mean anything to your car will depend on what sort of turbo your using and what is your car used for.

Small stock turbos will mean you shouldnt need more than the 2.5" stuff as the flow they are capable of probably isnt as much as this pipe can handle. However if your planning on going to a big single, the smaller piping may considerable restrict your power levels.

Drag racing is all about top end power so bigger piping can be quite good for flow, whereas in track racing turbo response and a smooth torque curve may be much more useful to you than absolutle power.

I doubt there would be much of a price difference between the too pipes though. 2.5" may be smaller but 3" is much more popular. Alot of the cost in pipework is the labour which of course would be the same for either pipe size. Wink
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Intercooler piping question? Sat, 01 October 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the stock set up on my 1G-GTE conversion is only 2 inch not 2.5. so the outlet and inlet pipes the run along the top of the motor are only 2 inch, so unless your gonna make totally new customs runs i would only go the 2.5 IC. as the 3 inch is only gonna take longer to spool.
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Re: Intercooler piping question? Sat, 01 October 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because of my standard diff and manual boost controller she is a bit laggy but they will get sorted out soon.

Still not sure what size to go for, maybe 2.5' will do as I don't plan on getting a big single turbo even though it would be nice.

Thanks
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping question? Sun, 02 October 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why bother getting 2.5" pipe work when the standard stuff is only 2"? Just wasting money IMHO.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping question? Sun, 02 October 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How big is your throttle body? If it's smaller than 3" there's no point using 3" pipes.

In fact generally speaking 3" pipes are a waste of time unless you're going big turbo/crazy horsepower. You'd have to be pushing a LOT of air before 2.5" pipe became a restriction. Also you'd be surprised how much harder it is to route 3" pipe around the engine bay compared to 2.5" pipe.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping question? Sun, 02 October 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 21:05

How big is your throttle body? If it's smaller than 3" there's no point using 3" pipes.

In fact generally speaking 3" pipes are a waste of time unless you're going big turbo/crazy horsepower. You'd have to be pushing a LOT of air before 2.5" pipe became a restriction. Also you'd be surprised how much harder it is to route 3" pipe around the engine bay compared to 2.5" pipe.

Slightly thread hijack, but relevant. My I/C has 2.5" inlets/outlets; 1G will be completely stock other than perhaps upping the boost & fitting a plumb-back bov.... what size i/c pipes? 2" or 2.5"?

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 11:20]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping question? Sun, 02 October 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will make SFA difference performance-wise, so just use whatever is easiest. I guess if the IC has 2.5" outlets, 2.5" pipes would be easiest.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping question? Mon, 03 October 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 22:30

It will make SFA difference performance-wise, so just use whatever is easiest. I guess if the IC has 2.5" outlets, 2.5" pipes would be easiest.

Thanks. The 1G Intake piping that sits on top of the cam covers is 2" anyway, so either way I'll need 2.5" --> 2" reducers. 2" for easy routing it is!
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Re: Intercooler piping question? Fri, 07 October 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like 2.5" would be the logical choice, I was waiting for a good solid reply.

Thanks Norbie
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Intercooler piping question? Fri, 07 October 2005 13:08 Go to previous message
I just got my cooler piping done in 2.5 inch. Unless you're running more than 300rwkw, you're not going to see the restriction from a 2.5 inch pipe.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggte - major hesitation under acceleration...
Next Topic:gx81 digi dash fuel sender...soarer?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 01:22:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061910152435303 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.