Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon9.gif  Running in a motor Fri, 30 September 2005 11:02 Go to next message
as the title says, any suggestions, recommendations or any tips??
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Running in a motor Fri, 30 September 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These are good.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running in a motor Fri, 30 September 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as seen in posts such as 'do a search' and 'search, your best friend'... i suggest you USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION Nod

Rolling Eyes
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running in a motor Fri, 30 September 2005 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YES ASIDES MY OWN RESEARCH OR SEARCHING...... i was looking for others opinions and experiences do u know what i mean??
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Running in a motor Fri, 30 September 2005 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leighp wrote on Sat, 01 October 2005 02:33

YES ASIDES MY OWN RESEARCH OR SEARCHING...... i was looking for others opinions and experiences do u know what i mean??

erm.. wouldnt be the results from searching then? OTHERS' opinions, unless you found a result with your own in it?

o_O
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Running in a motor Fri, 30 September 2005 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there seems to be a few camps.

treat it genteel for the first 500km, keep revs down, change oil regularly and be nice.

keep the revs low but thrash the begezus out of it to load up the rings and get them to bed in.

progessively, but quickly, load the rings up, but being kinda nice to it..

personally i'll be using the "break-in-secrets" method next time (kinda method 3).. but i'll also get it properly honed this time...

to be honest, if the surface are prepared correctly, it shouldn't matter too much... what does matter is that you have the correct amount of flat surface on the bore walls after running in and that the rings and bore are actually round, so they touch (well.. oil film apart)... if you are going for a low friction race surface, pre and break in procedure will be different to a higher friction, low wear surface/prep...

edit: personally i've done some pretty nasty things during prep/break in (ie wet'n'dry and then towing it up a hill to make the oversize oil control rings fit Razz ) but they still have ok blowby for the first 50Kkm.. Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 30 September 2005 18:22]

Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running in a motor Fri, 30 September 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old rolla, love ya work, that is fantastic, i love ya info that i needed....any other old rollas out there with great advice.

L
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leighp wrote on Sat, 01 October 2005 09:45

old rolla, love ya work, that is fantastic, i love ya info that i needed....any other old rollas out there with great advice.

L

maybe if you SEARCHED this forum, youd save the people who have typed out the advice for this question the inconvenience of doing it again... Rolling Eyes

seriously, its all here, go look
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try this link bud.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=64942&rid=6957&S=af0b23cce41333d241137dd b5f8fc9ac&pl_view=&start=0#msg_603694msg_6 03694

Honestly, it took me 30 secs to search and find this. All the info is there. Its about 10x more productive then this thread.
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would the oil you use be a huge factor?

What oils have you guys used to run in an engine?
(factory spec?)
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61: do u have searching fetish?
ive never read a reply from you that hasnt included search
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Sat, 01 October 2005 15:08

ed_ma61: do u have searching fetish?
ive never read a reply from you that hasnt included search

dude, if i were you i would not start hassling a good moderator..

i gave a synopsis only because i was bored, and it could give leigh MY opinion, and a few terms to search for..

i know you are new here, but this forum has been around for a loooooong time, and even longer if you include the original world toymods list Wink

most answers to questions have been thrashed out thoroughly, and so a SEARCH will find you most of the answers you need. if you ask a question that most ppl have seen the answers to, they will suggest a search first, and then the protocol is that you ask questions to clarify points you don't understand...

and ONCE again, i will post the sticky from the TOP OF THE LIST OF THREADS in TECH (just for you love ke70 Wink)

Quote:

Tech Section Moderation... Please Read Wed, 04 February 2004 22:40

Hey folks...

As part of the Board's ongoing efforts to make these forums, in particular the "Tech and Conversions" section, a safe harbor for the sharing and archiving of high quality information, we're going to start cracking down hard on 'off topic' crap.

Firstly, it goes without saying that personal attacks, flame wars and other shit will be deleted without blinking...

Secondly, "Tech and Conversions" means exactly that. Postings in this section need to be relevant, informative, and to the point. The Outhouse and General Discussion sections are available for mindless banter when you're bored at work/uni/home etc.

BEFORE POSTING a new thread, please use the Search function to look for any existing material that may already exist in the Forum back catalogue. Use of Google is also encouraged to get an idea of basic concepts BEFORE asking more specific questions.

If a point of technical interest is raised within a thread that does not relate to the original topic, please start a new topic.

Please do not continue to banter on about irrelevant shit once discussion over the original topic has concluded. Random crap at the end of posts will be deleted.

Where possible, please limit 'me too' posts. Please create a new topic if your own issue is not resolved through the existing discussion.

PLEASE do not simply regurgitate what you've overheard or read somewhere else, and call it your 'expert' contribution to a thread. Posts like this simply propagate misinformation. If you think you can refer someone to relevant web resources, by all means do so, but please do not make an independent 'statement of fact' about an issue unless you can substantiate it.

Remember, what you post on here is available to the entire web via google etc, as well as our own search engine. Write only what you would expect other people would want to read!

And please - no l337 5p34k and other web shorthand typing

Cheers
Ed

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 16:42] by Moderator

as for running in, t some it is a black art. some reasonable serching o gogle will get you many many diferent opinions, but in the end, the difference it makes may not be huge Wink

edit: thanks for highlighting \/\/ the important bit Jeffro Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 01 October 2005 05:57]

jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think ed is trying to enforce the rules of the forum. Have u read the rules?!?!

Quote:

BEFORE POSTING a new thread, please use the Search function to look for any existing material that may already exist in the Forum back catalogue. Use of Google is also encouraged to get an idea of basic concepts BEFORE asking more specific questions.

EDIT*** dang im to slow..

[Updated on: Sat, 01 October 2005 05:54]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think he prawls these forums with no point other than to find posts to which he can direct people to the search button...
j/k
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm me sorry Embarassed
only joshin with him, coz he does seem to refer alot of people to searching, but it is the rules, i did know.
often there are pages of returns and its a daunting task to work out whats worth reading. so they just create a new thread. ill keep my mouth shut next time aye Razz
l8rz
~andrew~
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Sat, 01 October 2005 16:09

hmm me sorry Embarassed
only joshin with him, coz he does seem to refer alot of people to searching, but they are HIS rules, i did know.
often there are pages of returns and its a daunting task to work out whats worth reading. so they just create a new thread. ill keep my mouth shut next time aye Razz
l8rz
~andrew~

fixed Wink
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason i write "search" i lot is because there is an ENOURMOUS amount of information archived here. if i know the info is there, i simply say so. why waste everyone's time because its too hard to do some background reading??

ok? so yeah, i dont want to scare people off, but be reasonable. i dont just say 'search' because its fun, rather, its because there's already a good discussion on the topic worth reading...

as for oils to run in an engine... most oil manufacturers have a monograde 30w running in oil - use this stuff Nod
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woah i feel flamage...... Sorry all and ed fair point, i was a lazy fu$#er...... cheers for the link mid way, but i better search eh

L
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Running in a motor Sat, 01 October 2005 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use google and enter your search criteria followed by 'site:www.toymods.org.au' without quotation marks. It's a better way to search in my opinion.
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running in a motor Wed, 05 October 2005 00:09 Go to previous message
chgeers again
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gearbox recon
Next Topic:1UZ on LPG
Goto Forum: