Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
birdie
Regular

November 2004
HB4 -> 9006/9005 Conversion Sun, 25 September 2005 12:25 Go to next message
I have recently bought some new headlights for my AE102 Corolla. They are a dual bulb headlight using a 9006 and a 9005 bulb. My old stock headlights used a single HB4 bulb.

Now I have installed the headlights while i was down on holidays, and wired them up. They seem to be working ok. But I noticed when I was wiring them up that the light socket used a common power and switched grounds for low/high beam.

What I did was hooked up a relay to both low beam and high beam. and hooked the power directly to the battery and ground to the body. and then used the common power and switched grounds to opperate the relays. I also hooked a diode between High beam and low Beam so that low beam stays on when high beam is on.

The problems are: I had to change the spot light connect wire for some reason? I had tapped into the high beam switched ground but after i hooked up the new lights they stoped working. I fixed them I can't remeber what I hooked them to now. And also the high beam dash indicator no longer comes on (I do have the light in the spotties switch though so i can still tell if i'm on high beam) but I got no idea why.

So can someone give me the correct method for wiring up the new lights (with low beam staying on when high beam is on) so that all it works 100% as the stock does (with dash indicator and such)
  Send a private message to this user    
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: HB4 -> 9006/9005 Conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump

Someone has to know how to do this correctly
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: HB4 -> 9006/9005 Conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
write the circuit down on paper and double check your logic.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: HB4 -> 9006/9005 Conversion Wed, 28 September 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.birdiehq.net/images/hlsch.JPG

That isn't a very good schematic, but thats how I have it atm. The diode may be the wrong way on the schematic but its connected correctly on my car. It turns low beam on when high beam is on.

So I can't understand why the Hi beam light doesn't work, and why I had to change which wire my spotlights were connected to? Could it be to do with not having anything connected to original driver side light socket?

I used the passenger side socket and then ran wires across to the other light rather than use another two relays.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 September 2005 23:16]

birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: HB4 -> 9006/9005 Conversion Sat, 01 October 2005 12:59 Go to previous message
I'm just attempting to rewire it now. The headlights work fine except when i flick it onto high beam, low beam turns off. If I connect a diode between high beam active and low beam active low beam stays on but then the dash light for the high beam doesn't turn on

I'm sure Low beam is supposed to stay on when you turn on High beam? This is with the new dual bulb headlights

Why does this have to be so hard?

Does the corolla use a common ground or is it a common power?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:thinking of carb conversion...
Next Topic:changing celica ball joints
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 13:22:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054609775543213 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.