Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Gremlin
Regular

June 2002

ST185 Boost Problem Sat, 01 October 2005 13:45 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Got a very annoying problem in my Grp A GT4... i'll do my best to explain it.

When boosting hard under load (ie anything over about half throttle) I seem to hit a fuel cut or boost cut at around 6PSI... it feels like a boost cut, but no dash lights come on and im able to keep driving wothout reseting the ECU. It feels as though the engine is hitting a flat spot. I have almost no power and it is reflex to back off when this happens.

However, if i boost up slowly (ie under half throttle) i can reach any PSI i set my boost controller to, which at the moment is set all the way closed so im running 8PSI ish.

Now, to try and solve the problem I have checked diagnostics and get no error codes, I have changed the plugs, igniter, coil pack, fuel pump,fuel filter, checked the resistance on leads which was 10 ohms, 8 ohms, 7 ohms and 5 ohms (working from furthest to nearest dizzy) checked dizzy and dizzy lead which was 3 ohms.

I am out of further ideas... has anyone come across this problem?? And if so how do i solve it? I am desperately trying to get the car ready to go to Wakefield on Monday and am really running out of time... This problem has only occured in the last 2 months and up until then i had happily ran 13PSI for 1 year without and problems whatsoever.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John
  Send a private message to this user    
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 Boost Problem Sat, 01 October 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats definately not boost cut..as when u hit boost cut it kills ur ignition and ur stuck rolling down the road in a car going brrrr that does nothing when u put the foot down...until u kick the clutch in and realise its dead lol....well thats my experience in the 165 anyway....
there was a dude on here having 185 boost issues a few weeks ago..it sounded similar to urs but worse, check the little rubber connecter between ur IC and tb...i think he had split his or something
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 Boost Problem Sat, 01 October 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like an airleak, check for them. Could be anywhere, loose hose that only opens up under boost etc...
Gremlin
Regular

June 2002

Re: ST185 Boost Problem Sun, 02 October 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, i just checked the hoses between the IC and TB and the turbo and IC... doesn't appear to be any cracks there...

What other hoses should i check?? Could a leak in my Boost controller hoses specifically cause this problem? If not what other hoses?

Thanks,

John
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: ST185 Boost Problem Sun, 02 October 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your intercooler hoses if they are tight!

also - what boost controller are you using? are the lines kinked? they have to the routed as direct as possible with no sharp bends
Gremlin
Regular

June 2002

Re: ST185 Boost Problem Tue, 04 October 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

The boost controller is a GFB one, and i've been using it for the past year without a problem... and no, there are no kinks in the lines... but i think that one of them might be split... that might explain why the engine stops under load...
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ST185 Boost Problem Tue, 04 October 2005 23:31 Go to previous message
I was gettin a problem in my st185 gt4 boosting where it wouldn't boost past 4 or 5 psi. Dunno if its the same sort of problem but mine ended up being that one of the two small rubber pipes that connects to the actuator near the boost sensor had come loose. So check the 2 pipes connected to the actuator near the boost sensor against the firewall. Hope u sort out your issues mate Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1UZ on LPG
Next Topic:removing crank pulley from 1G
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:17:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048079490661621 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.