Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cool write up on custom coilovers

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
icon6.gif  Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 09:06 Go to next message
Ive been crawling around the net looking at some various supension guides and products all afternoon. I came across this article which looks pretty interesting.

Its specific for the AE86 but I dont see why it couldnt be used for a whole heap of difference cars. Wink

I havent read through the whole thing yet but its got lots of old school mechs and stuff so they look like they know what theyre doin. Razz

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Short%20Stroke%20Guide/SKR_TU18.jpg

Anywayz, check it out!
Click here!!
  Send a private message to this user    
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry but this is old school

Razz

their basically for short strokes such as the HTS and the trd's, hence why you need cutting them!

but yeh, great read. I've got a printed version, basing my conversion on these!

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 19:06

I came across this article which looks pretty interesting.

I havent read through the whole thing yet but its got lots of old school mechs and stuff so they look like they know what theyre doin. Razz

bestest reason for posting a thread EVAH Laughing

so they didn't even weld the top and bottom half of strut together and are just relying on the tack welds to the sleeve to take all the upward force or the shock? eeek
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hm, i thought that they welded the strut casing back to gether then welded the sleeve onto that? .. oh well

Yeah this guide was pretty good explanation on WHY and HOW with short strokes..
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, im doing this conversion for my car. i also queried the point where they didnt weld the strut back together. i thought that was the only real weakness in the setup. apart from that, i though it was a really well done guide.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fOOZ86 wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 19:54

Hm, i thought that they welded the strut casing back to gether then welded the sleeve onto that? .. oh well

yar i thought so at first, but in the pic where you can see inside the strut casing, it looks like either it's not welded, or it has no penetration to the inside... sinc ethey have alot of other pretty pics, i would have thought they would show the grinding back of the weld to be able to it the sleeve over after..

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Short%20Stroke%20Guide/SKR_TU20.jpg

heh heh, methinks the WHY is what escapes most people, and how to calculate the actual amount of drop needed.... most people don't even need short stroke shocks (and probably shouldn't have them), and would be better off with long stroke shocks...

the diagram there gives a head start i suppose.. but with the short strokes, you have such little travel left that it is absolutely critical to set it up right..

not much point having 30% bump instead of 60%, but thats only a couple of cm difference..

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 10:05]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are right, you only need short stroke shocks if you want your car to have hard springs and dont want it to sit any higher than standard. Very Happy

better way to do it is get new thread cut, but if one of the Clampets welds it back on then that must be fine too.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 20:01

fOOZ86 wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 19:54

yar i thought so at first, but in the pic where you can see inside the strut casing, it looks like either it's not welded, or it has no penetration to the inside

That "line" you can see in the inside is actually a machined lip to allow clearance for the "sleeve" on the nut that helps locate the top of the shock insert. The actual join is abou 2" lower down, abou half way down the threaded sleeve. While i would weld this join myself, i have spoken to a couple of 86 drivers in Improved Production, and they only rely on the welds top and bottom of the sleeve. One of them just welds about 50% of the circumference (2 welds of 90 deg), the other welds the full 360.

My preference would be to weld the "inside" join, and the top and bottom of the sleeve, for the entire circumference.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 10:46]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Sun, 02 October 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh... Embarassed my bad Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Mon, 03 October 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, and as we all know improved production is the pinicle of motor racing! if your going to do a job do it properly,IP racing is great,but its about the cheapest form of full bodied racing.in all my years dealing with coilovers ive never seen a production coilover that has had tacked welds or 50% welded.there is a reason for this,if someone did a set up for me like that i would ram the tig or mig unit right up where the sun dont shine,i mean the whole welder and not a little inverter one!lol
mick

[Updated on: Mon, 03 October 2005 07:24]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Mon, 03 October 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would also like to find out as to who those two IPRA runners were who dont weld their entire struts. Certainly doesnt sound like the professionalism displayed by the AE86 IPRA runners in NSW that I know....
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Mon, 03 October 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a downside of fully welding the struts you know, the HAZ will go the full circumference of the strut, if stitching is strong enough, then thats all you need to do.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Mon, 03 October 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, got a headache...going to bed..

[Updated on: Mon, 03 October 2005 09:14]

Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Wed, 12 October 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A MATE whos A fitter machinist has a rx7 s1 with hard rate low spring in it; any ways to lower the shock he simply cut the top of the shock off & tapped a thread in it put a stud in it and merry x/mas a lowered shock: i know its mega bodgy but it cost him nothing except time at work it and now the springs are trapped for registration
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Wed, 12 October 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont lie you did this on your old boys rx7 didnt you? Very Happy
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Cool write up on custom coilovers Wed, 12 October 2005 10:29 Go to previous message
u gotta buy my corolla before i can buy the rx7 (its not me its a guy in a green rx 7 extended mild port 12a pulls 3rds Evil or Very Mad ) next for my old boys rx7 is a new set of bucket seats Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:162 wheel bearings / stud axle (front)
Next Topic:gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 22:18:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075540542602539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.