Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
4ag build up help Sun, 02 October 2005 16:53 Go to next message
hi all, i am going to be building up my 4ag jdm 96kw engine for next couple of months and i was wondering what performance parts i should put into the engine. like cams, cam gears, pistons stuff like that. i just want to know what other people have used in their 4ag's and what sorta price and result they ended up with. i am pretty sure i will get cams and cam gears but what brand? any help will be great, thanx! Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4ag build up help Mon, 03 October 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recentely built a 4ag with a 100kw bottom end, bigport head which was ported and HKS 256 cams. This is in my AE86.

For a budget rebuild, I am very happy with the results.

Recentely at a track a guy was following me in his 4AGZE AE86 with nevo pulley kit and said he was struggling to keep up down the straights.
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4ag build up help Mon, 03 October 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welli am using ARP studs through out my engine build up. i have a hks head gasket and im using ACL bearings and rings. i guess it comes down to how much money you want to spend.
i am a believer of what you pay for is what you get, so perhaps spending a bit more now is cheap insurance for the future....
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4ag build up help Mon, 03 October 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better of saying i have a budget of x dollars as with your question i can give you a $15k price list of parts etc!lol budget is the best way to workout what you want.unless of course you have an open check book for the job,then the sky is the limit.
mick
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ag build up help Mon, 03 October 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Things that are going to actualy effect your power are CAMS, get ones almost 300 degrees duration, but you will need a programable computer also. Adjustable cam gears can be used to fine tune this also.

Things like ARP studs and bolts, good brand head gasket etc will not give any power, but may keep the engine going for longer if raced hard. These things (like aftermarket con-rods) may increase the effective rev limit before it breaks. If its only going to rev to the stock rev limit, then you can save money and just use the standard Toyota stuff in the bottom end.

A lighter flywheel (and lighter car) can improve acceleration, but will not change power.

For pistons, I think Toyota ones are fairly good. Decide what compression ratio you want.
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
Re: 4ag build up help Mon, 03 October 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will be on a normal budget and i am thinking about putting aftermarket cams, adjustable cam gears but im not sure if i should put in forged pistons and rods? it will go on the circuit runs when i have finished with it so i do need it stronger than normal as it will cop a bit of punnishment. what are the advantages of porting and polishing the head? also what machining work should i get done and what will give better results. i will be building this engine slowly as i will be doing it at work in my own time so i am open to all input on what sort of work i should do.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4ag build up help Mon, 03 October 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
start by loking at Bill sherwoods 4AGE page to get a rough idea of what is and isn't needed perhaps?

basically, choose the rpm you want your powerband to be, then build EVERYTHING around that, and only that.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 4ag build up help Tue, 04 October 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a TRD metal head gasket is very cheap and a worthwhile upgrade.
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
Re: 4ag build up help Tue, 04 October 2005 11:07 Go to previous message
does anyone know how much it will cost me to machine all the necessary components? like porting the head and match porting the manifold.. stuff like that.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:trd gearset
Next Topic:Central Locking for AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:10:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047118663787842 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.