Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Sun, 02 October 2005 07:06 Go to next message
Well to confirm that i live with nutcases who will do things out of the ordinary. I present to you Scruff And Sef, my house mates, and there social experiment.

There aim, to get scurvy.

Yes yes, wtf indeed. Follow there progress here
  Send a private message to this user    
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Sun, 02 October 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry mate, but i dont think it can be done.

If your mates were living at sea and eating gruel, then yes, it can be done.

ARRR me harteys
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Sun, 02 October 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some mate of mine in wollongong either did or get pretty damn sick trying...
pretty much only 2 min noodles and home brand pasta for 3 months straight.... it is possible, but you haev to try really hard...
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Sun, 02 October 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where is mythbusters when you want them?
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Sun, 02 October 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YOu dont have to be at sea to get scurvy, its basically caused by a lack ov vitamins, especially C.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Sun, 02 October 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The British Navy in the old days (circa 18th/19th century) used to make sure they carried fruit, specifically limes, to give to the crew of their vessels to avoid scurvy. Hence the nickname of "Limeys" for the poms.

I have an inbuilt "scurvy switch" which comes on every now and then and I have this urge to eat salad and fruit things. It's most perturbing when it happens, but I think it's my bodies way of telling me to eat something healthy and resupply lost vitamins and such things.

seeyuzz
river
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Sun, 02 October 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get that with chocolate and hamburgers (and kebabs recently.. although i DID see a mobile kebab van in tokyo!!!!!)

am i ok??
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Mon, 03 October 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as you wash down that Kebab with a nice cold can of beer i think you'll be fine Very Happy
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Mon, 03 October 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 21:08

YOu dont have to be at sea to get scurvy, its basically caused by a lack ov vitamins, especially C.
Thanks mate Wink i was already aware of that
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Mon, 03 October 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 15:04

As long as you wash down that Kebab with a nice cold can of beer i think you'll be fine Very Happy

in that case i'll be very very fine Razz

mmm Sapporo beer Razz
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Mon, 03 October 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 17:08

cannonball wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 15:04

in that case i'll be very very fine Razz

mmm Sapporo beer Razz

the best is sapporo draft

yumyumyum

bring me a case back wouldya ? Very Happy
AW11 no Jitsu
Regular

May 2005
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Mon, 03 October 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This would seem crazy except for the fact that they are uni students.
Is it just me or do people seem to loose all common sense while at uni? Rolling Eyes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Mon, 03 October 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no, they just lose income...
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Mon, 03 October 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man I reckon this is a classic! Laughing Laughing
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Tue, 04 October 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A guy I went to Uni with succeeded in getting very damn close to scurvy.

His parents gave him a lump sum of money each semester to live off. In our 3rd year he used the cash for a major purchase and kept only enough to live off two minute noodles (Homebrand ones) and occassionally some bread.

Just before the end of semester he developed some really weird skin condition and looked really unwell. He went to the Dr's on campus and they said he was in a really bad way.

He had to ask his parents for more cash to buy "proper" food to aid in his recovery.

I occasionally sponsored him with funds for a beer or some potato wedges at the bar Laughing

He recovered pretty quickly but fark he looked bad before he saw the Dr.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Wed, 05 October 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat exactly is it ?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Wed, 05 October 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 12:50

wat exactly is it ?

Scurvy? It's a vitimin deficiency obviously. The guy I live with (he's a doctor) sais it's a gum desease caused by a lack of vitimin C.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Wed, 05 October 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:53

wat exactly is it ?

Scurvy? It's a vitimin deficiency obviously. The guy I live with (he's a doctor) sais it's a gum desease caused by a lack of vitimin C.

Geez from that definition hes name isn't Dr. Nick Riviera by any chance?

It's due to a lack of apsorbic(sp?) acid which I think may also be citric acid, vitamin C related. It's not a gum disease it's a whole body skin or flesh disease, one of the symptoms is hemorrhaging gums though.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Wed, 05 October 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asorbic acid is vitamin c which is NOT citric acid
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Wed, 05 October 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha I think this scurvy thing is a lot more serious that they think. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

Some extracts:

Quote:

Symptoms include:

weakness
joint pain
black-and-blue marks on the skin
gum disease
spongy gums
corkscrew hairs

Quote:

Untreated scurvy is always fatal

Hmm....
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Wed, 05 October 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kudos to your housemates...

UNI Students once again pushing the limits of complete stupidity!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Thu, 06 October 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 13:55

Shraka wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:53

wat exactly is it ?

Geez from that definition hes name isn't Dr. Nick Riviera by any chance?

It's due to a lack of apsorbic(sp?) acid which I think may also be citric acid, vitamin C related. It's not a gum disease it's a whole body skin or flesh disease, one of the symptoms is hemorrhaging gums though.

No, actualy he's a pretty good doctor. His english just isn't great. I probably misunderstood him.
Yes, he said it was due to lack of asorbic acid, which as far as I knew was vitimin C.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Thu, 06 October 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes No comment, except to show my disbelief at some peoples utter stupidity Rolling Eyes
So what is their next brainstorm social experiment going to be?

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Thu, 06 October 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

No comment, except to show my disbelief at some peoples utter stupidity

I think to top this level of stupidity they should head down to their local junky hangout and stick old used needles in their arms and then 6 months later go and get blood tests to see what they contracted Confused HIV = teh win
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Thu, 06 October 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Hi-Ace wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:29

Rolling Eyes No comment, except to show my disbelief at some peoples utter stupidity Rolling Eyes

Ha! Coming from a man who used to crawl between two cars doing a 100mph down Castlereigh Road? Smile

At least I've never done anything silly. I've always been a font of respectability and infinite maturity.

seeyuzz
river
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Thu, 06 October 2005 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oh man, I just read that and near choked on my coffee.
Old Man River

At least I've never done anything silly. I've always been a font of respectability and infinite maturity.

And yes we used to have good clean fun when we were kids. All be it dangerous at times.
Castlereigh Rd, in those days was the well know drag strip and definitely nowhere near the amount of houses or traffic as there is now.
And now when I look back on it, I think how stupid we were & lucky not to have been killed doing some of the stuff we used to do. It's this sort of thing that means when we (yes you to) get to OUR age then we can try to give advise to the young people today, because we have been there & done that and can see what the outcome of our actions can be.
As long as we don't try to pretend that we never did anything wrong or silly and we where "always been a font of respectability and infinite maturity." Wink
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Tue, 11 October 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, I don't really eat any fruit or veges yet I seem to survive just fine. The teeth get loose and fall out but I don't mind. Looking forward to getting those handmade wooden dentures to fit...

Harrr me scurvy dogs!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Tue, 11 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi-Ace wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:29

i would say more poor attempt at insanity, rather than stupidity..

social experiment? well that already got out of contorl..

Bloody "Young Liberals" Mad
bluehachi
Regular

September 2005
Re: Scurvy - what my housemates are upto...! Wed, 12 October 2005 05:05 Go to previous message
so.. whats the latest? are they dead yet?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I want one of these!
Next Topic:Living in Sydney
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:21:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065960884094238 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.