Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mjd5
Occasional Poster

April 2005
4agze power drop Mon, 03 October 2005 11:50 Go to next message
why my ze wont rev more then 5500k is it because im runin more boost then stanrd

need help ?????????
  Send a private message to this user    
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4agze power drop Mon, 03 October 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm no guru with factory ZE computers, but it sounds like it could be a dodgy knock sensor causing massive ignition retard or some other electrical gremlin. Check the wiring.

And no, it's not just because of more boost.

Hen
mjd5
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: 4agze power drop Tue, 04 October 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one of my mate told me that it could be knock sensor

if im runnin over size pulley ....i think the computer cut boost when more then 8pis? im not so sure

but people say if i get aftermarket comp ... i can rev past 5500
ke70rolla
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: 4agze power drop Tue, 04 October 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try a fuel cut defender.. i had the same issue with a TX5 ... it was good for about 8psi on factory computer.. but above that you couldnt really rev past 5000rpm.. you can rev it past that .. but only when the turbo isnt spooling hard
mjd5
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: 4agze power drop Tue, 04 October 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel cut defender what that????
ke70rolla
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: 4agze power drop Tue, 04 October 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjd5 wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 20:55

fuel cut defender what that????

cars that are fuel injected and are turbo have a defence against overboost, the fuel cut defender, this is so u dont kill motors that are still under warranty.. just a way of car manufacters covering there own a**es against big repair bills .. and so us young blokes cant drive an engine to its limits... GRRRR
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: 4agze power drop Tue, 04 October 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude, this is common problem, theres an old post with a really similar name to this one that you might wanna search for.

Many ppl with MAP 4agze's have the same problem of major power drop at exactly 5500rpm (20hp dyno proven for me) and as a result it feels like engine doesn't wanna rev further.

From my own experience the power cut is much more noticable after you wind boost up, which is logical considering the larger difference between uninterrupted power output and ECU retarded output. I was running 14psi last month with undersize SC12 pulley still with the above problem, however theres a friend i know whow was running as high as 18psi perfectly fine on the standard ze ECU with oversize pulley.

Is your power loss intermittent or does it happen every time you load up the engine in gear?

I just replaced my knock sensor with a 7mgte one, bolts straight in and if you don't have the correct plug you can just cut the outer plastic sheath off the existing ZE plug to make it fit. This seems to have worked well but not perfectly. I get full power 90% of the time now.

---SOLUTIONS---
1. Aftermarket computers apparently fix this problem in every case
2. Replace knock sensor has worked in some cases (~$200 genuine from toyota, or cheap if you scam from a 7mgte and butcher the plug)
3. TRUST sell a 4agze knock suppressor for ~$30 (resistor) which helps reduce the effect in some cases
4. There is speculation about placing resistors on the inlet pipe temperature sensor that a few from clug 4age have tried

edit: in response to fuel cutting due to overboost, the only problem i noticed was running 14psi flat out in 4th gear sometimes the computer would fuel cut but this is a recognisable rev-limiter type feeling. If you have MAP ze then it should be the same for you. Id still lean toward ecu ignition retarding due to false knock sensor / detection Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2005 11:18]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4agze power drop Wed, 05 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reduction the knock single to the ecu , how about dampning the knock sensor so it doesn't detect knock ie rubber mount . That is about the crazest idea i have heard in a long time , those trust engineers must have had : stage one , knock suppressor kit , stage two , lots of trust parts for engine rebuild . Doesn't the check engine light go on when this occurs ?
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: 4agze power drop Wed, 05 October 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of curiosity, where IS the knock sensor on the engine?
I've got one, and it's showing codes 43 and 52. "start somethingorother " and "knock sensor"
Cheers
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze power drop Wed, 05 October 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knock sensor is between the 3rd and 4th cylinder underneathe the inlet manifold i belive
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: 4agze power drop Wed, 05 October 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep spot on. found it myself when I noticed a plug hanging loos under the inlet. figured it looked important so odds were it was the knock sensor plug.
Pain in the ass spot to get to, so I ended up using a hose spraying water and my hands to get it on (engine was hot).
Got a blister for my efforts, but the power difference is night and day.
A LOT smother acceleration and it doesnt feel like it's holding back. 5th gear in particular feels a lot more perky.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agze power drop Wed, 05 October 2005 10:34 Go to previous message
yeah its usually the knock sensor mine broke when i was changing the gearbox and was a right pain in the ass to drive arround with for 5-6 months the fuel consumption was absolutley shocking and power dropped after 5k but an aftermarket ecu and a new s/c belt changed all that
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camshaft Design and Optimisation
Next Topic:ke 10s
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:57:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053207874298096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.