Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
more power out of an aw11sc Mon, 03 October 2005 22:46 Go to next message
ok guys, I am looking at getting a bit more power out of my sc aw11, problem is I don't know of a much more I can do.

what i have so far:
-hurricane extractors
-2 1/2 inch mandrel bent zorst
-high flow cat
-175mm overdrive pully
-koni top adjustables
-droped 1 1/2 inch
-nulothane (sp?)bushes
-k&n pod filter

what I plan to do:
-ecu (can anyone suggest a good one to use, that works well with the sc)
-fuel regulator (anyone with a good brand)
-injectors (dose anyone make bigger ones that fit in standard, or will all need custom fitting???)
-anything else you guys could suggest

I don't want to go down the turbo path yet, or of the rebuilding path yet (both an an expensive up front fee, which i do not have)

any help would be greatly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
De@Noo
Regular

June 2004
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Mon, 03 October 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From those mods that you have i would think about next getting a biger size intercooler
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Tue, 04 October 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The mods that you have listed don't require that you upgrade your injectors or fuel regulator.

If you upgrade your injectors without replacing your ecu it will run like crap anyway in open loop mode.

A replacement ECU will net some benefits now and open the door for future upgrades as it allows you to tune properly for anything that you do.

As stated before an upgraded intercooler would help as the stock one is a little average at best. Spearco make a really nice kit that just bolts in to the SC AW11 but it's not cheap...

For my AW11 (which has pretty much the same engine mods) the plan is:

-intercooler
-bigger cams
-adjustable cam wheels
-under bucket shims
-replacement ECU

With cams big lift with short(ish) duration is a good way to go with forced induction. To tune it properly you really want the adjustable wheels and some dyno time.

A cheap cam upgrade is to drop a set of NA bigport cams in to the GZE. They have slightly more lift and duration than the stock supercharged ones (as far as I know the stock bigport cams are the most aggressive of all the 16v cams from the factory).
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Tue, 04 October 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like you have pretty much maxed out the power you can get from the engine cheaply. I'd definitely suggest a better intercooler will improve things and agree with the above guys that cams, maybe cam gears and an aftermarket ECU would be a good idea. You could consider an SC14 too and maybe an improved intake manifold, though those two are a little fiddly and take some fabrication.

If you are running a bigport (AW11) 4AGZE you already have the biggest factory cams.

Shim under bucket is only really needed if you go to BIG cams (9mm+ lift) and are in danger of spitting out shims.

Also you don't need to fiddle with injectors or fuel pressure regulator unless you are maxing out your current ones. But as a side note I *think* 7MGTE, CA18 and some 13B injectors will fit the factory rail. Surely Google can confirm or deny that though.

Hen
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Tue, 04 October 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is power to be had from an aftermarket ECU, I'm not sure of the increase, but, Dale (10sec_rx7) claims that they are a worthwhile upgrade.

Your standard injectors will be fine for the power you are going to get with a SC12.

A decent intercooler would definately be your next step, I managed 114kW out of mine with a similar setup and an ARC intercooler.
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Tue, 04 October 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
A larger throttle body is another possibility.
There is some threads on www.mr2oc.com that talk about the throttle body swap.
Swap to a later model sc12 with the smaller pulley. A bit more power.
SC14 swap would be the next option.
I think an intercooler swap would be the most beneficial upgrade for you though.

Cheers
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Thu, 06 October 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for all your replies, yes I forgot about the intercooler, i have been planning on adapting a gt4 water to air cooler, or some other water to air intercooler for some time now.
In regard to the ecu, does anyone have first hand experiance having an ecu with a ze, I have heard they are hard to program or something.
114kw pretty much the same mods and a cooler, thats cool, I was hoping for around 100.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Thu, 06 October 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale has plenty of experience with Microtechs, and I'm sure he would be happy to help you out. I've got a Haltech on mine, and still haven't done much tuning yet, but, so far it seem to be going well (got a base map from a guy in the US).

It's funny, I was hoping for around 100kW when I went to the dyno, I was impressed to say the least Shocked
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Fri, 07 October 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can tell you now that an aftermarket ecu will get you the biggest gain but will be $$$$ but as mentioned b4 will allow scope for further modifications.
If i were you i would start with an aftermarket ecu one which has a few inputs and outputs as you will need one for the s/c relay so you can tell the ecu at what throttle postion and load to turn the s/c on.

I would reccomend a wolf 3d ver4 plus as a good mid range ecu you can expect to have one installed and tuned for about $2500 in my experience.
Almost all half decent aftermarket ecu's will work fine on an 4agze. The thing with the wolf was that mine came with all sensors needed to run the motor and has a built in map sensor with the ability for boost control amongst other things plus the hand controller is quite usefull.

To give you an example of the gain that i got from an aftermarket ecu with a slipping s/c belt and only making 5psi i made the same power as they make stock atw.
Unfortunatly i havent had a chance to strap it back on the dyno while it was making full boost.

One thing with a bigger i/c is that it will allow you to make the power more consistantly. I would lean towards the pwr barrel i/c's they may not be cheap but will cool you charge down considerably more than an air/air mounted in the engine bay. plus they wont take up as much room.

edit: you can also strap a davis craig thermofan to the underside of the stock i/c then wire it into the relay for the engine fan so that when your at the lights the i/c wont heatsoak as much. Watching my hand controller on the wolf the inlet air temps rise as much as 15 degrees while waiting at the traffic lights.
Also if you had an aftermarket ecu you could use an output on the ecu to trigger a relay for the fan to come on at a certain inlet air temp.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 October 2005 01:37]

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: more power out of an aw11sc Fri, 07 October 2005 02:52 Go to previous message
General,

here is some stuff i posted on the AW thread a whil ago pages 52 and 53...hope this works Rolling Eyes
Check out the attached dyno chart.

Just got the car back from CV performance they have been playing around with a few things on the car.

Only just drove it around the block but i think i need some better tyres sooner rather than later.

Check out the attached dyno chart.

http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?image=resizeddy nochart246051yf.jpg

mk1sc wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 16:51

holly shit gunmetal how do u get so much power?
whats the full detail of ur mod if u dont mind telling
and how did u go over 200km/h in 4th unless ur pass rev limit or difference gear ratios?
man and it looses no power towards top end aswell

i only have stock s/c aw11 with nevo175. i wanted to get a computer but tuner said i wont make more power as my a/f ratio is pretty much perfect from about 3000rpm onwards. i start dropping power at about 6500rpm though

what drag time would you be able to pull with that much power? im guessing low13s to high 12s?

Well this is only what i have been told and have reciepts for as i did not do the work.

Remeber also this is a 94 spec engine with coil paks and the smaller SC pulley etc etc so they make more power straight out of the box

different/ bigger valves and valve springs

Head ported and flow tested

HKS cams...dont know the specs

HKS exhaust and 2.5 inch high flow cat and exhaust

Motec M4 ECU

175 Nevo crank pulley

alternative / relocated intercooler (could be much / better / bigger)

lightened flywheel and heavy duty clutch again dont know the specs but it revs very well and hooks up nicely, never had a prob launching it.

With the motec obviously everything is adjustable including timing fuelling and rev limit etc

Also a note this test was done with 225 45 16 rear tyres that increase the rolling diameter and hence speed per engine engine revs. Not that its

As for standing 1/4 times hand held its in the low 14s, i think you would be looking closer to 200kW for those sort of times

hope this helps,

PSS its also got a set of sweet custom chrome moly drive
shafts

i think thats all on the drive train anyway...... phew

I think this is about asfar as you can go with the SC12. I am very happy with it.

If i want more than the 139 KW i may investige some bigger cams and some adjustable cam gears, bigger/ more efficient cooler and retune using 98 or 100 octane fuel.

If i had purchased it without the motec it would have been a different story. Unless you are going to turbo it i dont think i would go for aftermarket ECU with an SC12, Its alot of $$$ for not much extra performance.

As previously stated you have allready done the good bang for the bucks mods Very Happy

I agree with pretty well everones previous comments

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke70 strut brace
Next Topic:legality of a 4agze/ae82 in nsw ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 23:43:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048840045928955 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.