Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
optimistic26
Newcomer

September 2005

HELP on unstable Idling Fri, 30 September 2005 14:00 Go to next message
Hi! I have a 1995 toyota corolla XL with a 1300cc (2E) engine. The reading is 360,000 KM. I already had top overhaul twice before but haven't replace piston rings. Last week the engine becomes unstable, erratic idling and almost stall and lacks power.. when I depress the gas halfway the engine didn't respond at all. I replaced the spark plugs as per manufacturers specification, the idling somehow become a bit stable. The following day it didn't start at all and found out that the igniter assembly is dead, replaced it and the power goes back but unfortunately the idling remains unstable,, i tried to replace the vacuum advancer, checked the ignition coil but still no effect. I observed that if I remove the vacuum hose on the distributor the idling becomes stable but as I put it back idling gets worst. I drove it out this morning and as I step on the gas theres no response like it used to be. First I adjusted the distributor to get a good response, yes it does but the engine still has an idling problem. I remove the vacuum line on the distributor and idling is more stable. I hope you can give me an advice on this..
  Send a private message to this user    
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: HELP on unstable Idling Sat, 01 October 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds to me that you have two problems - a vacuum leak on the intake manifold (are all the bolts done up tight ?) and the carby in need of a sevicing
optimistic26
Newcomer

September 2005

Re: HELP on unstable Idling Sun, 02 October 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The problem just came out now. For the past 2 years of using the car it has been doing well. The CARB just undergone major overhaul and yet the problem is still there. Im suspecting a valve or valve seat problem... your advise are well appreciated..

CARL
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: HELP on unstable Idling Mon, 03 October 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you start ripping the head off hook a vacuum gauge to the motor and see whats happening while its running and being driven.
optimistic26
Newcomer

September 2005

Re: HELP on unstable Idling Tue, 04 October 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Re vacuum gauge. Any other measuring device I can use? Im not so familiar using this. And if ever what is the normal reading? positive and negative observation? THanks.

CARL
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: HELP on unstable Idling Tue, 04 October 2005 15:42 Go to previous message
This is what a vacuum gauge looks like.
http://images.cardomain.net/products/atm/ATM2610_1.jpg
Doesn't have to be Autometer. To hook the gauge up is as basic as teeing it into a "manifold" vacuum line (eg. something thats after the carby, like the vacuum line for the brake booster). If the needle on the gauge only works when you rev the motor it means you've hooked the gauge to "ported" vacuum

How to use it
Tuning With A Vacuum Gauge
and
Tips on Reading Gauges: Vacuum Gauges

On the positive side of having one is that you can get a better idea on how the motor is running.
About the only negitive i can think of is that since i've got mine on the dash in the car i've been asked a few times if the car is either turbo'd or supercharged and can they have a look Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2
Next Topic:AE111 Levins thoughts experiences anyone actually driven one
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:21:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055108070373535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.