Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
for the computer know it alls Tue, 04 October 2005 23:27 Go to next message
guys i am trying to create an FTP server however its on a windows based machine. now my issue is that i am yet to find an ftp server that works well with IE /Mozilla they all suck and time out or connect very slowly downloading or uploading is shocking. I know there clients are not the best but, What can i use. I know the simple answer is use Linux but im avoiding that one as much as possible.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2005 23:31]

Send a private message to this user    
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Tue, 04 October 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use the free cerberus ftp server on winxp, havn't really tried the browser based ftp access to it tho.

http://www.cerberusftp.com
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use a tool called smart ftp to upload to my ftp.
its ok i guess, not like i use it much anyways.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.serv-u.com/ is the only option for a winblows ftpd.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you have confused an ftp client with an ftp server Wink
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i not confused i need a server damn it i have tried serveU thats also crappy.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR. 2 wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:59

i not confused i need a server damn it i have tried serveU thats also crappy.

Maybe you should be learning to use a PC before you try and do anything semi advanced? Because if servu isnt working for you, nothing else will!
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:29

sorry i was referring to this post, not your original post Smile
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
belive me i know how to use a computer quite well thankyou!
it works fine through a client (3rd party one) i want something that works well with the IE client or Mozilla Client not a friggen 3rd party client yes it wroks but it dosnt work well its very slow to resolve anything and uploads and downloads are extreamly slow if i use a client of some sort then its fine and fast. the reason i dont use a client is because i want to setup something so that i can login from any pc with installing a client!
I have tried passiv modes through IE i have even tried with out I have forward specific ports for pasiv mode also still nothing!
if you have this working well let me know how rather then say i should know a bit more about a pc!
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a command line ftp client on all windows machines back to 98 i think, dont really need a 3rd party ftp client or ie/mozzila
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Windoze Explorer will do it too if you use the proper URI.

ftp://username:password@servername.com

Although I dare say that it'll have the same performance issues as IE since it's probably the same code.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehendrikd wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 11:05

illuminatus wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:29

sorry i was referring to this post, not your original post Smile

my bad
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

there is a command line ftp client on all windows machines back to 98 i think, dont really need a 3rd party ftp client or ie/mozzila

is this the golden ftp server your refering to, if so this is no longer a command line. its and interface now, and very very limited one at that.

i will try the win exploer one thanks for that tip Nark
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you are saying you want an ftp server that will handle the ie/mozilla ftp client so you can access your ftp server from any pc. i am saying if you use one of the suggest ftp servers, even if they dont work well with ie/mozilla ftp client, you can still access the server from any windows machine from 98 on because they all have a command line ftp client.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2005 01:45]

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh im with you...

what is the exe or where is it located or called i can work the rest from there im sure.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just open a command prompt and type "ftp" Smile
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry about me just had a blonde moment i got it DRRR thanks ehendrikd
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no wakkas Smile
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They'll all be the same, regardless of what server you're using. The problem lies with IE/mozilla. Use a dedicated ftp client.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whos that ho in the avatar Dale?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my girlfriend...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well she can be mine when your finished Very Happy Lucky barstard.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha. Very Happy
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

They'll all be the same, regardless of what server you're using. The problem lies with IE/mozilla. Use a dedicated ftp client.

as said before (above) i dont want to use a 3rd party client because the idea is that i can logon to the ftp server anywhere with out problems 90% desktop users have windows IE browser.

its ok i will just install linux and go that way it will take less time and less hassel thanks to those who helped!
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR. 2 wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 16:11

Quote:

as said before (above) i dont want to use a 3rd party client because the idea is that i can logon to the ftp server anywhere with out problems 90% desktop users have windows IE browser.

its ok i will just install linux and go that way it will take less time and less hassel thanks to those who helped!

Yeah. But what I'm saying is it's slow and crap regardless of the server software. Every ftp daemon I've used is crap if you try to browse it using IE. Believe me, running a linux ftpd won't make the problem go away!
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but then i pose the question, how do web hosts have stable ftp's through IE small or large web hosts, i know most of them run on linux, also the company i work for also has a linux box for the ftp which can be access outside of the network, and this is all achived through the IE client hence my persistance, because i know there is a way.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps it's in the config of the ftp server?
Don't know much about the performance implications of using PASV mode and stuff... But it could be related to that.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 17:04

Don't know much about the performance implications of using PASV mode and stuff... But it could be related to that.

Exactly what I was getting at above. No point trying different servers if you dont know the basics.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale_ta22 wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 16:11

haha. Very Happy

I want some more pictures!!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR. 2 wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 09:27

guys i am trying to create an FTP server however its on a windows based machine. now my issue is that i am yet to find an ftp server that works well with IE /Mozilla they all suck and time out or connect very slowly downloading or uploading is shocking. I know there clients are not the best but, What can i use. I know the simple answer is use Linux but im avoiding that one as much as possible.

back to your original quote...

can you describe/confirm the situation better:
-server is a windows server or workstation?
-is it serving to clients inside or outside a firewall? (going thru a firewall will require PASV ftp, particularly if the firewall is doing NAT or port forwarding)
-you want the client software to be a web browser to download files? (any browser can do ftp://servername.domain.org/ )
-you also want client software to upload files? (if so, a web browser wont upload anything, only a form submit action will send something back, and only to a web server)

can you describe/type the error you get with the browser - and are you trying to download a file, or put a file up?

if you are trying to put a file up? then dont bother with a web browser - because no browser that i know of can do that unless you're using WEBDAV or some kidn of forms interface or a overly complex java applet.

As for stable servers used by ISP - they mostly run Linux (too many distros to list), OpenBSD or Solaris - you can configure just about any linux distro out-of-the-box as a server that has ftp, sftp, http, webdav, etc with minimal configuration.

cheers,
Charles.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok here is the issue i have tried pasiv and port mode same results.
its based on a XP pro machine so workstation.

serving clients outside of LAN. I have a adsl router its NAT enabled however i have portforwarded the correct ports on the router as i have forwarded ports for PASV mode as it uses different ports also.

Also have a firewall, howvever i have allowed the porgram and ports.

yes i want to be able to downlaod and upload. not big files more html or txt files nothing huge.

when i type the ftp address it resolves it very slowly. and i see the files if i try to get into a hevily populated folder it may time out.

Quote:

as i said it works very well with a client connects fast and what not. so therefore this tell me the configuration is fine!

Quote:

Exactly what I was getting at above. No point trying different servers if you dont know the basics.

well then help if you know!, thats what the forums about help, rather then make shrewd comments.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: for the computer know it alls Wed, 05 October 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use IIS - it's built in to windows and has an FTP server as an option.

It is quite easy to install and configure.

Go to start and then help and type in IIS...
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: for the computer know it alls Thu, 06 October 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done this and iis seems to be far better however its liimited on to what you can do with it.

its ok i think i will just play a little more cant hurt cant it!

thanks to all the help
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: for the computer know it alls Thu, 06 October 2005 11:29 Go to previous message
MR. 2 wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 08:56

Quote:

well then help if you know!, thats what the forums about help, rather then make shrewd comments.

I'm sorry, i'm not really trying to start trouble. But dont you think its a bit weird that you are having the exact same problem with different servers?
I have used many different ftpds on windows machines behind firewalls with no problems. I have also never had any problem with using explorer or mozilla to browse the server.
I would reccomend picking one server (ServU I think is easier for the beginer) and learning eactly what each and every setting does.
It does sound like you have a passive problem though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Warning fraudulent Paypal emails
Next Topic:Sprinter Goes Off The Road 12am Tonight!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:38:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068449974060059 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.