Toymods » General Car Talk » Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Wed, 14 September 2005 14:03 Go to next message
Hi there guys,
Haven't really posted much here, haven't posted in a fair while, been a bit busy with work.

Well I'm looking at buying an MR2 SW20.

I've been looking on the net and briefly searching these forums for what information I can.

Does anyone know what the fuel consumption is like on the Naturally Aspirated SW20?

Through the forums I've found the consumption of the turbo, but I'm curious about the N/A. Some say 9.8L/100 or so, but I don't know if this is accurate, anybody who actually owns one have a realistic measure?
Obviously with increasing petrol prices, this is something for me to consider.

I haven't found much in the way of what to look for, is there anything I should be looking out for?
  Send a private message to this user    
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Thu, 15 September 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know you coulda just rung me..... 10L/100Km's is pretty well spot on for normal city driving, maybe a little less on the freeways. Do it Smile You'll love the car, and you can take the roof off.

Things to check....

- Rubber seals for the Targa, make sure they arn't perished
- If you are getting one over 100K Km's(which you probably will be) make sure they've have the 100K Km's service done, especially the timing belt.
- Pay close attention to how much the clutch slips, as they arn't cheap to replace.
- Try to get the G-Limited model if you can.... ABS, directional foglights and other goodies.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 12:55]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Thu, 15 September 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason the clutches arent cheap to replace is that they are a c*nt to take out. The gearboxes themselves weigh 50kg....

If insurance inst a concern i would steer you towards an sw20 gt import...

However if you want a ride that really gets the blood pumping buy an aw11 and put an 3sgte into it

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 14:18]

Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had an interesting conversation with someone last night. They were suggesting the 3sgte came factory stock super-charged. I'm fairly certain that's wrong isn't it? The T in GTE is Turbo, TehSuperCharged.

Insurance isn't my concern, petrol is. My insurance company (who must have made a mistake) gave me quotes on N/A and turbo mr2's of the same year etc and there was a difference of like $50.

I'm leaning towards N/A anyway because it'll be a step up from my Celica 184R in power anyway and it won't kill me for petrol.

I'm going to keep my eyes out over the next couple of months to find one that's nice, not going to rush.

Was planning on going to a dealer with one today and pretending to want it and test driving it heh.

I might lean towards the import because they tend to have less KM's it seems.
Where would I find out the differences between the series', ie: the G-limited and GT and bathurst and such?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte is turbo charged they might be confused with the AW11 Mr2 with the 4agze super charged 1.6L.
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I assumed they'd mixed it up with the AW11 and pointed that out, but they insisted, no no, definitely the SW20 and definitely the 3sgte.

My conclusion, the guy is a moron.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jabbott wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 12:13

I assumed they'd mixed it up with the AW11 and pointed that out, but they insisted, no no, definitely the SW20 and definitely the 3sgte.

My conclusion, the guy is a moron.

Thats a very good conclusion Very Happy
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I concur.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bathurst is definatley the one to go for in n/a form.

You may have trouble finding an import n/a as they probably arent able to be imported under SEVS but im sure there are ones arround.

If you want to have a fuel economical car then dont buy the supercharged aw11 mr2 as they like to drink
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with you!

10L per 100km though.. hmm...

im only getting about 350km off a Tank though.. but what could be causing me to chew through a tank like that? theyre a 50L tank right?
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a silly thing, I test drove the MR2 GT today.
Oh my god it kicks. My problem is now I want the turbo but I think petrol will be evil.

Is there any reason I should go N/A rather than turbo? I mean mechanically. I know that it will be more petrol and I will definitley get more speeding fines.

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Insurance will be literally halved
2. Fuel Consumption will be less
3. Revs higher and freer than the Turbo
4. Ease of getting parts from Toyota Australia (on ADM Models)
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 15:18

1. 1. Insurance will be literally halved
2. Fuel Consumption will be less
3. Revs higher and freer than the Turbo
4. Ease of getting parts from Toyota Australia (on ADM Models)

1. hes allready stated its only $50 more
2. True but its more a function of how you drive
3. who cares.... Razz
4. its not really difficult to get parts for imports these days but its not as easy as aus deliverd ones. Having said that i still have to wait 3 weeks for some of my aus spec parts too.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3. The turbo is making more power in the next gear at half the rpms anyway Razz
AlexT
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 16 September 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 13:33

im with you!

10L per 100km though.. hmm...

im only getting about 350km off a Tank though.. but what could be causing me to chew through a tank like that? theyre a 50L tank right?

50L tank is correct.

I get the same consumption - about 10L per 100km - from my 1997 Bathurst.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Sat, 17 September 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big mistake Jabbot the difference between the GE & the GTE is huge Smile Dyno day 10 Senor 2 took me for a ride in his SW20 with a Gen 3 3S-GTE, it made about 155RWKW and it flew. My car always seemed slower after that.....only way to cure that disease is drive a Rolla around for 2 weeks and then your car feels fast again Laughing (no offense to the Rolla boys).

Honestly though, the GTE is going to be much faster, it will munch more fuel and Turbo cars are generally more expensive to maintain.

The GE is still a good engine, very free revving and is predictable around corneres, just remember too heavy on the throttle in a GTE and you'll loose the rear end real easy.

Up to you dude...

My N/A should still be able to keep up with your GTE unless you mod it Smile We'll have to try that out sometime Evil or Very Mad
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Sat, 17 September 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the GTE and keep it flat stick all the way
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Sat, 17 September 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmm my problem is the expense. It would cost me more, that's what concerns me. I would be borrowing a little bit of cash to buy the car and that will cut into my weekly budget, so more expensive to maintain etc will kill me.

Though considering I'm seeing more turbos than N/A's, I might end up with a turbo anyway. I'll see how I go.

- Jabbott
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Sat, 17 September 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well post it when you do buy it
boing
Regular

October 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Mon, 19 September 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte all the way.

seriously you won't be able to look at another n/a again.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Mon, 19 September 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you don't buy a turbo, I can almost guarantee you'll be posting on here in 6 months time asking 'how hard is it to drop a 3SGTE in Smile'. If you want turbo, go for it man. Yeah, fuel economy sucks if you can't keep off boost (I get 350km to a 65 litre tank in my GT4 Smile ), but if you have some self control and are lighter on the right foot, it aint all bad.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Tue, 20 September 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I usually got ~600k's out of 50 litres in my 1st gen 3SGE, which is 8.3 litres on 100k's. In comparison, tooch is doing 18.5 litres per 100k's.

With the way fuel prices are going, that kind of fuel bill will really hurt your week-to-week.
Jabbott
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Tue, 20 September 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's my concern, fuel prices. Otherwise I'd jump for the turbo.

I'm currently driving a '91 Celica ST184R and the consumption appears to be similar to the N/A MR2 so I don't see that as a change, but if I get the turbo I will be paying more for petrol and for insurance.

In a years time I'll be working full time and I could afford the extra cost, but right now I feel it's time to change but I don't want to screw myself over for cash in my last year of uni.
boing
Regular

October 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Fri, 30 September 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my turbo is hurting my pocket. Crying or Very Sad

need to be softer with the right foot.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Sun, 02 October 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres nothing wrong with a turbo if got self control, i get well over 100ks to 10 litres from my 165, given that is cruisin everywhere in 5th gear ect...u just gotta be careful tho, when u give them a drink...they effin drink!
boing
Regular

October 2004
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Wed, 05 October 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that last tank was disgusting.. i think i barely hit 300ks..
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Fuel Consumption - Looking at buying an MR2 Wed, 05 October 2005 01:39 Go to previous message
LOL. You want fuel economy, get a Honda. If I keep my DC2 under 4000rpm I get about 7.7ltr/100kms. The way I drive though I usualy get about 9.0-11.0/100kms. Sad

I'm pretty sure the DC2 is quicker in a line than an 3S-GE SW20, but the guy accross the road wont take me on (I think he's scared). Although the DC2 is FWD and not a Toyota. It also feels a bit slow in the corners. The suspension is a bit soft and the car rides a bit high. This combined with the open diff and front wheel drive makes it good, but not fantastic. In corners.

Do you have a day driver? If you're worried about money, you probably want a weekender/dayly combined car. In which case I don't think the MR2 is for you. No back seats, very little storeage space.

But if you want the turbo SW20, just hang out untill you have a full time job. It's not much longer now. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2005 01:40]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where to buy Konig rewinds?
Next Topic:HELP on unstable Idling
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:37:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093638896942139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.