Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
K&N Pod Filter Wed, 05 October 2005 03:00 Go to next message
I bought a Pod Filter and am planning on getting an exhaust shop to make up a 3inch air intake, the pod filter will be open(not in air box) could i expect even the slightest power increase, or just sound nice
Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: K&N Pod Filter Wed, 05 October 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you should check out my new line of pod filters? Just the thing for when you NEED to be noticed!

http://www.comcen.com.au/~sheehan/P0000003.jpg
http://www.comcen.com.au/~sheehan/P0000004.jpg

I believe I've revolutionised the lampshade filter industry - don't you?

(p.s. don't take offence, just I've got too much time on my hands and I'm having a light hearted dig)
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Wed, 05 October 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luv em, how much mate lol
just what i have been lookin for Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: K&N Pod Filter Wed, 05 October 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the increase in power you can expect will be relative to how restrictive the stock intake is.

You can also expect a defect if you get cought with one that isnt boxed
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Wed, 05 October 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idear is to have as cold air as possible! Why remove the factory airbox? Because the air filter looks cool! No performance value in looking cool. I reckon that any benefiet you get from the added quality of a good air filter will be lost by not putting it into an airbox. Spend $10 on tubing of sorts and improve the air flow to your airbox would be best. I have assumed that this is an NA engine.

Cheers,

Ty
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how can i channel more air to airbox? get piping and feed it as far forward as possible where the most air would eneter engine bay?, won't it look a little shite? and a little bodgy/home made?
how much of a performance increase would i be lookin on a stock as a rock 3sge 86celica with 65000 on a recond engine
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i baught myself a BMC panel, the same company that makes f1 air filters. they flow better then the KnN and last 30000kms, then u clean it and put it back in.
im not sure if there was a noticable difference cos when i put the silver 20v in, the filter was fucked, so i just got one of these.

pods are shit, unless of course u like sucking hot air into your engine ALL the time....
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a dirty cotton gauze filter will flow and filter like a clean paper one.

i fyou get a K&N or any other 'wet' cotton filter, try to clean it as little as possible -- youll 1, filter in dust if you keep cleaning it and 2, destroy the cotton real quick, the fibers just collapse from water.

give it a quick spray with the proper oil on the clean side every now and the, shake off any big chunks of mud and dirt, and thats all you really need to do.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:41

i fyou get a K&N or any other 'wet' cotton filter, try to clean it as little as possible -- youll 1, filter in dust if you keep cleaning it and 2, destroy the cotton real quick, the fibers just collapse from water.

give it a quick spray with the proper oil on the clean side every now and the, shake off any big chunks of mud and dirt, and thats all you really need to do.

It is not advisable and it is also illegal to use oil filled air filter types in NSW. They are not good for AFM and holden has released a statement that any HFV6 using a oil filled air filter will not have certain parts replaced under warranty as it fucks them.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:13

It is not advisable and it is also illegal to use oil filled air filter types in NSW. They are not good for AFM and holden has released a statement that any HFV6 using a oil filled air filter will not have certain parts replaced under warranty as it fucks them.

wow never knew that.. guess its diff in SA, looks like youll have to get an apexi pod or something then Razz
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a pod on my 3sge in a ta23 at the moment and I am looking at going back to a panel in an airbox due to the intake being on the hot side of the engine. I think this will be a better set up, even though my intake temps are reading around ambient when it is cold, eg last night they were around 16-20 in melbourne so thats not too bad, but I have seen over 50 when idling.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:53

wow never knew that.. guess its diff in SA, looks like youll have to get an apexi pod or something then Razz

horseshit
thats because holden are retarded!were do all crank case vents vent to?the intake. have a look inside any intake and there is always oil. my bet holden is bring out there own filters or that they are pulling at straws trying to fix yet another fault!
mick
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly what i was thinking.

but i have heard that exess oil on the filter may coat the AFM and cause it to malfunction, im not worried about it though.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 01:44

terra wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 14:53

horseshit
thats because holden are retarded!were do all crank case vents vent to?the intake. have a look inside any intake and there is always oil. my bet holden is bring out there own filters or that they are pulling at straws trying to fix yet another fault!
mick

On a second note to a K&N / Holden story which i once stopped some pictures or , was the fitment of K&N filters being fitted into the commordores with the cold air intake running passed over the radiator { yeap that plastic above the radiator is going to be really cold}. There was as a shit fight with some people in the country area'a or NSW , there engines where worn out to buggery in thousands of ks . Holden blaimed the fitment of the aftermarket filter and from the pictures the throttle bodys where filled with dirt , people chased K&N for the replacement of the engines . And last i heard K&N where blaming the poor design of the air system stating that not filter would have survived the conditions not even the factory ones . I never got to find out what the outcome was . Urethane filters are far superior in those conditions , or a oil/air filter .
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 16:30

but i have heard that exess oil on the filter may coat the AFM and cause it to malfunction, im not worried about it though.

if you worried, you could always get a can of electronic parts cleaner and give the meter a spray!on the shelf at dick smiths etc.
mick
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: K&N Pod Filter Thu, 06 October 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K&N filters filter VERY VERY VERY VERY poorly when clean, this is why you dont clean / wash them.

they will 110% guaranteed let though a fine mist of dirt when theyre still clean.

as soon as you get a few days of use on them, theyre ok.

if engines are blowing up from a tiny tiny bit of dirt, blame the engine.

many racers in cleaner climates run filterless (or HKS pod filtered -- same thing) with no problems at all.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2005 21:51]

Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: K&N Pod Filter Fri, 07 October 2005 03:36 Go to previous message
kingmick wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 16:48

illuminatus wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 16:30

if you worried, you could always get a can of electronic parts cleaner and give the meter a spray!on the shelf at dick smiths etc.
mick

Yeah, my mate stuffed his afm with an oiled pod and then put some of this stuff through it - good as new now!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA23 - RA23 crossmember
Next Topic:POWERSTEERING ARMSZ
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:33:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010536909103394 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.