Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Water pump Woes/ harmonic balancer/which pump

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Water pump Woes/ harmonic balancer/which pump Mon, 03 October 2005 00:55 Go to next message
.Me Again.
Driving the 1j around a bit and notice a shit load of water when i stopped, all the hoses are on fine and arent wet, however on close inspection looking underneath the water pump there is a little hole in it, looks factory to me. ive heard they have a seal in them that is designed to fail before the pump. anyone else heard this??

Also in my r154 the dust covers on the shaft and trans are rubbing, any idea why?

cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 07 October 2005 12:38]

Send a private message to this user    
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Water pump Woes Mon, 03 October 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah there is a hole in teh water pump. this is a teltale hole, if you see watter pissing out of this hole it means that your pump is stuffed. they put those holes there to show when the pumps are gone.
if you can get your hands on a pressure tester then pressure test the system and you shhould be able to see where the leak is coming from....it sounds like the leak is pretty big.
do you have to keep topping the radiator up?
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Water pump Woes Mon, 03 October 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the water is flowing outta the hole, should get a new pump today, just wanted to make sure thats what that little hole was for.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water pump Woes Mon, 03 October 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW, exactly the same symptoms happened to my 22RE. Likewise assumed pump was stuffed.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Water pump Woes Mon, 03 October 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bert, well answered mate!
mick
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Water pump Woes Mon, 03 October 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know the 1j is a far superior motor, but shit after just finishing taking off the water pump on the 1j the old 202 had its positives.

Anyone know what good glue to use with the new gasket for the pump.?
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Water pump Woes Mon, 03 October 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loctite Superflex Black is good shit.

Thats what i use at work when doing w/p's.

Been using it for 3 years.No probs.

You can get it from Repco,Super Cheap etc.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Water pump Woes Mon, 03 October 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the primary reason for the "hole" is to prevent bearing failure from water contaminated lubricant.
you can drive across country with a leaking pump, especially if the system isn't pressurized, but a seized bearing will stop it right now.
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Water pump Woes Tue, 04 October 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont mean the idea is bad, its quite good, i just mean the old 202 was a shit load easier to change
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Water pump Woes Wed, 05 October 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok guys. putting the pump back on, whats the best way to put the harmonic balancer back on. I dont wanna disrupt anything like the knock sensors by smashing it on with a hammer.???
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Water pump Woes/ harmonic balancer Wed, 05 October 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you do the opposite to the harmonic balancer remover tool and push it in? I think I just gave it some gentle taps with a rubber mallet.
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Water pump Woes/ harmonic balancer Wed, 05 October 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking a rubber mallet, just wondering what the different ways people had were.
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Water pump Woes/ harmonic balancer Fri, 07 October 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ordered a fp2165 powermax pump non hydraulic for a 2jz,, but it doesnt fit. any ideas why i was told they were interchangeable you just needed to change the pulleys.
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Water pump Woes/ harmonic balancer Mon, 10 October 2005 02:29 Go to previous message
changed the back of the pump over to a non hydraulic off a 1j but still doesnt fit, do i need the back assembly of a 2jz. this is pissing me off i wanna drive my car
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wiring Harness
Next Topic:ra42 front sway bar
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 20:36:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061421394348145 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.