Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 12:39 Go to next message
Hi everyone

I'm looking for some info on the advantages and disadvantages of Coilovers.

I am trying to decide whether to put coilovers in my Group A or just stick with the standard style

I have been quoted 5g for custom built coilovers using Bilstein inserts and Eibach springs, this price also includes all new bushes and bump stops and a new rear sway bar.
Dose this sound like a good price?

Cheers
YGT

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2005 12:41]

Send a private message to this user    
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
howm uch are bilstein's anyways?

are they going to shorten the strut?

advantages of coilover: adjustability, having the ease of choosing a variety of spring rates, the wank factor, the ability to lower your car as you wish, better performance than oem (with the stuff your using)

disadvantages: actually have to maintain the sleeves, darn expensive (define expensive! Razz), i'm not sure but i don't think they are legal either
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think coil overs are very useful as long as youre going to use them.

they are adjustable, but not quickly, and i cannot imagine myself adjusting them very often, especailly after a year or so.

if you want a very good suspension set up for the street, a couple of grand will be very suffient for top range everything.
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought they were legal but probably cause alot of people have them, never really looked into it.

bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coilovers are pure sex, apart from that if you're not looking for a great massive amount of adjustability its probly cheaper and easier to just go upgraded standard style
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coilovers = mechanical bling IMHO Rolling Eyes

seriously, 95% of useres will NEVER adjust them, and even then, serious useres will tweak them a bit, then 95% of those will hardly ever tweak them again.

i used to be national tech support for fox shocks, go to all the races, set up bikes, do custom rigs in the factory etc etc...

guess how many times i tweaked a coilover??

set and forget.

for the price get a set of custom wound springs made and spend the remaining cashola on something more useful
truenosedan1
Regular

July 2005
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coilovers give u a bit more room for rims...

seen a lot of silvias with tyres on the spring perch!
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same will go for coil over sleeves, just cut and weld em onto the strut mounts.

and you can get all 4 corners for less then $200USD
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 21:47

coilovers = mechanical bling IMHO Rolling Eyes

seriously, 95% of useres will NEVER adjust them, and even then, serious useres will tweak them a bit, then 95% of those will hardly ever tweak them again.

for the price get a set of custom wound springs made and spend the remaining cashola on something more useful

Agreed.

Unless you change springs regularly or set up the corner weights they aren't required.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Tue, 04 October 2005 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get a set of 4way penske's and then spend hours ajusting them,changing valving and shims and you will have as fast as it gets in terms of shocks.lol coilovers a good,but if its more for show then do something else.
mick
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Wed, 05 October 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The advice above is valid, if the GT4 has a range of decent shocks and springs available without the need for fitment of height adjustable coil-overs then don't worry about it.

My car has height adjustable coil-overs because no springs were available in the rate needed, the spring perch rubbed on the tyre (car came with 12" wheels standard), the strut tube was being shortened and it was going to cost 1/10th of stuff all to get a threaded sleeve attached to the strut given what needed to be done anyway.

I have adjusted my setup a total of about 5 times for various reasons, I will be trying a different spring rate shortly too which will be a simple process given the current setup.

I have purchased "custom" wound srpings in the past for non-automotive use and was less than impressed with the consistency in sping rates. For the intended use I had for them it meant they were useless. Also the inherent characteristic of a spring seemed to be somewhat lacking with a few items Rolling Eyes

YGTO4A, looking at the components you are talking about I am going to guess you have been out to see Chris at Inline? He did the work on my car and did a good job.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Wed, 05 October 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An advantage of coilovers (in some situations) is the greater range of camber adjustment they allow simply because they're so much narrower than your typical McPherson strut. I can get 5 degrees of adjustment out of my current coilover setup, but I doubt I would have got even one degree with the original springs!

But yeah, that just agrees with the above - the only advantage coilovers will give you is greater adjustability. Think carefully about how often you'd really want to adjust your suspension, and let that guide your decision. If you're like 99% of people you'll realise it's completely unnecessary. Good dampers and custom-wound springs will do exactly the same job for a much lower price!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Wed, 05 October 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just noticed these comments:

Quote:

actually have to maintain the sleeves

Not sure what you mean by this??? But a threaded sleeve welded to your strut tube is something I would consider a low to no maintenance item.

Quote:

i'm not sure but i don't think they are legal either

They are completely legal in the ACT as long as a minimum ground clearance of 100mm is maintained. Check in your own state before purchasing.
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Wed, 05 October 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:06

YGTO4A, looking at the components you are talking about I am going to guess you have been out to see Chris at Inline? He did the work on my car and did a good job.

You have hit the nail on the head ke382TG he is the only place I will take my car when it comes to suspension

Thanks for the info every one it looks like every one seems to recommend a standard setup.
But will there be a difference in the comfort of ride and handling between the two?

Cheers
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coilover V Standard Suspension Wed, 05 October 2005 04:33 Go to previous message
Same YGT04A, Chris is very meticulous and respects the vehicles he works on. Even if you do have to wait a little longer sometimes, it's worth it.

Quote:

But will there be a difference in the comfort of ride and handling between the two?

If both setups use the same shock absorbers and same sring rates then the ride should be virtually identical as far as bump and shock absorption go.

As mentioned above though the coilovers may allow for a greater range of camber and castor adjustment which may be benficial to the handling. They may also allow the height to be set a little more precisely than if the original spring mounting setup is retained.

In the end if you tell Chris what you want he will set you up with a pretty decent suspension package.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HKS 1GGTE H/G
Next Topic:4age into ke70 conversion juast a quick question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:52:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051591396331787 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.