Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Flexible exhaust couplings?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Flexible exhaust couplings? Wed, 05 October 2005 07:56 Go to next message
Refering to the woven mesh type. Just wondering the idea behind these. Are they used to compensate for exhuast tube expansion due to (high turbo) heat? Or perhaps to put a bit of give in a rigid exhaust system especially those mode from thick-walled stainless.

Are they flexible in all directions?, ie do they compress/stretch, twist or bend.
  Send a private message to this user    
mr2gze
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Flexible exhaust couplings? Wed, 05 October 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought they were used so when the engine shakes and rotates due to its torque, your headers/exhaust system dont develop stress cracks. They compress, but ever so slightly. And move all directions... So yeh i guess you are right in saying they "put a bit of give in a rigid exhaust system"
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Flexible exhaust couplings? Wed, 05 October 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mostly seen in FWD applications where you got the 'worked' FWD motor twisting on it's mounts from 'torque'. Stops manifolds cracking and does allow for some give.
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: Flexible exhaust couplings? Wed, 05 October 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, the reason I ask is because I'm building my exhaust for my V8 project ATM and am worried about the exhaust loading up the extractors too much from engine torque(1UZ). It's a 2.5inch twin system in 1.6mm thick 304 stainless so it will be very rigid, too rigid I think. I'm thinking about putting a pair of these couplings between the extractors and the cats.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Flexible exhaust couplings? Wed, 05 October 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the flexi pipe is just what mr2gze said.

tho i dunno about mostly on fwd's, almost all 4wd's used them too, and seen them on alot of rwd's too.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Flexible exhaust couplings? Wed, 05 October 2005 09:04 Go to previous message
yeah, if you've ever seen an SR20 twist, you'll see the reason why most shops recommend flex joins for 180SXs
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke 10s
Next Topic:HKS 1GGTE H/G
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:45:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0035429000854492 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.