Toymods » The Outhouse » Causal loops

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Causal loops Mon, 12 September 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the cars in adelaide still ran on producer gas?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/craigs_red_hachi/popes.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Causal loops Tue, 13 September 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Sat, 10 September 2005 22:30

TIme travel - like in the movies - is impossible, it's just a plot device to make the otherwise dull movies interesting.

You can travel forwards in time though, but travelling at a substantial fraction of the speed of light. Up around 0.999 C or so. By doing that, you can make the observed universe around you appear to be in 'fast-forward'. When you slow down after, say, a year at such a high speed, something a hundred years or so 'outside' will have passed.
Travelling backwards in time is, and forever will be, impossible.

Wormholes in space exist. And it is deemed one day possible to control and keep them open. If this was done while it was dragged at close to the speed of light for 10 years (5 years somewhere - 5 years back), we would have a wormhole that the entrance to is 10 years "younger" than the exit. That would mean travel through time from say 2050 to 2040.

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Causal loops Thu, 15 September 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13:00

Wormholes in space exist.

Really?
Where?

Dr_Love wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13

And it is deemed one day possible to control and keep them open. If this was done while it was dragged at close to the speed of light for 10 years (5 years somewhere - 5 years back), we would have a wormhole that the entrance to is 10 years "younger" than the exit. That would mean travel through time from say 2050 to 2040.

Why not just keep it in place and orbit it around a singularity to cover the distance at that speed?

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 03:37]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Causal loops Thu, 15 September 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 13:36

Dr_Love wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 13:00

Wormholes in space exist.

Really?
Where?

Over there.
*points*

Didn't you notice it?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Causal loops Thu, 15 September 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't point out the wormhole thing! It puts massive holes in my theory! Wink

Seriously though, the wormhole thing is a theory only. Who knows, when you go through a wormhole like that you might age the time it took to move the wormhole?

Bleh, my brain hurts.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Causal loops Thu, 15 September 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man i just read through this entire thread... very interesting indeed. On time travel though... IF you could travel faster than the speed of light, i think it's theoretically possible to travel back in time. However, to do so would require infinte mass and/or infinite energy.

Something like the event horizon in a black hole could have an infinite energy source seeing as time seems to stop in the middle of one.

About the comments of time being a measure of decay or whatever... i agree that is one possible definition of time but can't really apply to a linear/spacial concept of time which is what "time travel" would really be about.

You know what's a really hard question... try and think of a definition of time that isn't self-referencial, ie doesn't simply say that "time is time". The best i've come up with is that it's a "rate of change"... but even that's a circular definition.

Eddie.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is possible to view the past, but not interact with it.
My Theory: everything you see comes at you at the speed of light, if you could instantaniosly travel away from something you were looking at, you would be looking at the same image so it would appear to you as though time had stopped. If you went faster than light, then you would see things that have already happened, but you would not be able to interact with it.

I also agree with Barnesy's Linear (Bill and Ted) timeline, in that what has happened cannot be changed and if someone did travel back to try change something they wouldn't be able to as it has happened that way. I wouldn't call that pre-determination, as it has happened, it jsut means you can't change what has happened, but have control to be able to make things happen.

Also the 'E' in E=mc^2 means "Energy created when mass is destroyed". Such as a fission or fusion reaction where two atoms are fused into one or one is broken into two, thereby "destroying" atoms.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/mysteries/html/kak u2-1.html

Interesting read on the topic. Hawking's TBHOT also supports these theories.

By the way TBHOT is apparently available on dvd.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some may argue that toymods is going back in time... however slowly...

let me explain.

generally, with a knowledge base, you start off with limited or no knowledge,t hen build up your knowledge through learning from other people.

Toymods however, seems to have been doing the exact opposite, with the addition of bubbles (and subsequent dispatch of bubbles) and threads such as this, and the bird flu one.

Dorio, you are the new bubbles, what the hell makes you think anyone on a car modifiers website care about a bird flu? what the hell can any of us do to stop the spread?

what? do you want me, now, sitting in my room, about to go to work, to send a letter full of flour to a remote region of Kenya?

ffs.

Eldar.O.

/End rant
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 05:19

all of you who are debating this/interseted in it should take a look at this, i found it really interesting

http://spl.haxial.net/time/

i didnt agree with this at all.
this guys theory of time is a description of heat energy.

movement=heat/energy.
not time

Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 17:00

Some may argue that toymods is going back in time... however slowly...

let me explain.

generally, with a knowledge base, you start off with limited or no knowledge,t hen build up your knowledge through learning from other people.

Toymods however, seems to have been doing the exact opposite, with the addition of bubbles (and subsequent dispatch of bubbles) and threads such as this, and the bird flu one.

Dorio, you are the new bubbles, what the hell makes you think anyone on a car modifiers website care about a bird flu? what the hell can any of us do to stop the spread?

what? do you want me, now, sitting in my room, about to go to work, to send a letter full of flour to a remote region of Kenya?

ffs.

Eldar.O.

/End rant

Dude if you ONLY want to talk about cars, you need to stay away from the outhouse.
thats what this area is for. i believe it is in the little description underneath the title.

threads like this provoke thought and usually a little light-hearted humour. Is that wrong?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 17:24

threads like this provoke thought and usually a little light-hearted humour. Is that wrong?

YES! Back to the dempth of hell with you for emparting this curse upon us! Evil or Very Mad
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I think the light barrier can, and will be, broken just like we did with the sound barrier.

Unless we can travel around the galaxy with great speed we will not be able to beat-up, pollute and destroy other civilizations and planets. That's our forte. That's our destiny, and I'll be damned if something as simple as the light barrier is going to stop us.

I'll be doing some tweaking on the mighty 18RG tonight. She'll break the barrier. Just a little tweaking.....

seeyuzz
river
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Causal loops Fri, 16 September 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem is there is a massive difference between the light barrier and the sound barrier.

The speed of sound is just the speed that sound travels at. The people who used to say you couldn't go faster than it where just stupid. However, it's theorised that at the speed of sound you'd need an infinite amount of power to go any faster. Now where do you plan on getting an infinite amount of power from? Not to mention who's gonna design an engine that can output an infinite amount of energy at once? the long and the short answer is, nobody, 'cuz it can't be done.

However, if Einstein was wrong, then by all means, we may end up traveling at many times the speed of light and polluting and destroying the rest of the galaxy. Who knows, traveling at FTL may cause irreversable damage to the universe. Sounds like the kinda thing we'd do. Sometimes I wonder if perhaps we're a parasite on the earth. 'life' as we know it could be much like a cancer. We're rebelling bits of space dust breaking from the 'program' and screwing up a whole planet. Go us!
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Causal loops Sun, 18 September 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a theoretical item (cant for the life of me remember what it is called - started with a 't' i think) That travels WAY faster than light and would take an infinite amount of braking energy to bring its speed down to the speed of light. If these this substance does indeed exist and we are able to harness its energy, then we could travel faster than light.
Marc205
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Causal loops Wed, 05 October 2005 09:43 Go to previous message
Dr_Love wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 06:54

there is a theoretical item (cant for the life of me remember what it is called - started with a 't' i think) That travels WAY faster than light and would take an infinite amount of braking energy to bring its speed down to the speed of light. If these this substance does indeed exist and we are able to harness its energy, then we could travel faster than light.

The tachyon? They travel faster than light because they have imaginary mass. (Given E=mc^2, their mass is a multiple of SQRT(-1).) They aren't a source of energy per se, but an interesting field of study. There are reports of a tachyon with real mass, however it was observed as a result of a cosmic ray bombardment and has yet to be confirmed or reproduced.

Because of the way "traditional" tachyons work, it would take an infinite amount of energy to "slow" the tachyon to the speed of light, because tachyons become more energetic at higher speeds. You get energy out of them by making them move faster, not slower.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2005 09:45]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:long wang hits china
Next Topic:Message to all you smokers - if a chimp can do it, surely you can too!![/
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:46:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069429874420166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.