Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Tue, 04 October 2005 07:01 Go to next message
All my previous dealings with ST185 oxy sensors have all seen them only being a single wire type - from memory, most if not all of these were from JDM cars. I'm now playing with an Aus Spec ST185 and have found a 4 wire sensor - is this normal?

Further, what will the implications be (if any) if I choose to run the replacement JDM engine for the car with the Aus Spec Wiring loom, but the JDM ECU - will it all talk to one another, or am I pushing shit uphill with a pointy stick?

Can anyone confirm the "ST185" 4 wire oxygen sensor is the same as the "ST205" oxygen sensor?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Tue, 04 October 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
virtually all oxygen sensors are the same given the same number of wires. so if an ST205 has a 4 wire, and the ST185 has a 4 wire, their operation will be the same (although wire colours may vary... but easy to work out)

if you want to replace a 4 wire with a 1 wire, thats fine as long as you hook up the single wire to the ECU O2 sense wire.

Cya, Stewart
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Wed, 05 October 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All GT4's that I have seen have a 4 wire oxy sensor... this includes ST205's and ST185's JDM and Aus spec.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Wed, 05 October 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you replace it with a one wire ? is the exhaust system really that good a earth .
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Wed, 05 October 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe one of the other wires belongs to the E2 sensor return, and the other 2 are for the O2 sensor heater, as im sure you already know they have a heating coil in built to get them up to operating temp as quickly as possible

Maybe some variants of the motor didnt require heaters due to the region they were sold in, but I too have only seen a 4 wire O2 sensor for the 185.

I would follow oldcorollas if you wanted to try the 1 wire sensor, but im a proponent of replace what was originally in there unless you know your improving it
Gazzman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Wed, 05 October 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silverghost is right. there is two wires for the o2 sensor and two for the heater, i believe that there is two separate earths, one for the heater and one for the sensor.

having only one wire going to the sensor would mean that it would be earthing through the exhaust system as per improvedae86
comments.

personaly i too have only seen 4wire, if they use 4 wire here in aus then where the hell would they use 1 wire...... the sahara?? Laughing

the JDM ecu will work with the aus spec loom as many aus spec owners use JDM ecu's for better performance!
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Wed, 05 October 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a single wire on my car.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Thu, 06 October 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it look like a Toyota one or aftermarket Lance?
Assuming it must be an aftermarket jobby as there is only 1 type of oxygen sensor listed in all the 3SGTE manuals I have.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 Oxygen Sensors - 1 Wire or 4 Wire??? Thu, 06 October 2005 03:42 Go to previous message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 13:23

Does it look like a Toyota one or aftermarket Lance?
Assuming it must be an aftermarket jobby as there is only 1 type of oxygen sensor listed in all the 3SGTE manuals I have.

Its a toyota one, im certain of that. No cut wires or anything.

It is an import motor though, thats the only hint i can give as to why its single wire.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:toyota supra engine potential
Next Topic:My ISCV is confused (1ggte)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 15:40:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1477689743042 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.