Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:(

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Thu, 06 October 2005 02:40 Go to next message
Here's my new car as of just over a week ago now, a 1986 model AE82 Twinky! Love how it drives, loving the 4AG, loving the lower fuel bill! Smile

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/7314/rolla18cq.jpg

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/3117/rolla20uc.jpg

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1671/rolla39jm.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2001/rollainterior3hu.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5363/img02644bb.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/427/camcovers6eb.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7145/dscf0582edited6ag.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 15:35]

Send a private message to this user    
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Thu, 06 October 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and if anyone's curious, we took the photos last thursday at Terrigal, which is near Gosford, on the central coast, NSW.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Thu, 06 October 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Merry-Udo.

She looks like a clean unit Wink How many K's on her?

Quote:

and if anyone's curious

Rona is bi-curious Laughing

Now just stick to the speed limit or you will be selling this one and buying a postie bike Smile
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Thu, 06 October 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
she's got 218,000km on her

still revs very cleanly, only complaint i've had is apparently it puffs a wisp of black smoke when i really plant it. I'm assuming fuel at this stage.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Thu, 06 October 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice Cool , 4age is not that slow but you can get away easier with a smaller car Evil or Very Mad .
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Thu, 06 October 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black smoke = fuel, nothing to be concerned about. Most modern cars at WOT from low RPM will give a slight puff of black smoke. Watch any new holden or ford drivers exhaust when they are attempting to show you the "performance" of their car and you will see it Wink
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Fri, 07 October 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 16:36

Black smoke = fuel, nothing to be concerned about. Most modern cars at WOT from low RPM will give a slight puff of black smoke.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

Now, back to drinking

LOL
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Sat, 08 October 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks clean as man, love the window tint. Also those cam covers, I don't think I've seen some resprayed blue, that's original. Can't wait to see them on the engine man.

Cheers,
Kev.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Thu, 13 October 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
update on my beloved twinky...

just about an hour ago, something decided it didnt want to play anymore in the engine, and now the cars fucked Sad

god knows whats wrong, there's a knocking coming from the motor that really doesnt sound healthy... babied it home from the moment i heard it, with two friends following in separate cars behind me just in case the car decided to shit its pants on the way home.

its that sort of sound that sends a shiver down your spine when you hear it.

i have no idea why, no warning or anything, it just... happened

its not a quiet knocking either.. i just dont get it. car was running PERFECTLY and then ... pop goes whatever went in the motor.

i'm royally screwed now! Sad
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky Thu, 13 October 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a bearing in which case you can rebuild it or upgrade i wouldnt reccomend driving it as it will only cause more damage
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats bad luck Merudo, how was the oil level? If that was ok take a peak inside the cam covers by removing the oil cap and shine a torch in, if it looks like a sludge build up in their then that might be an issue (oil starvation due to the deposits throughout the engine which would indicate a lack of servicing by previous owners).

It does sound like a bearing which is going to lead to at least a bottom end rebuild.

I assume it makes this noise even when the car is in neutral and idling?

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt make it when idling, but if i give it a little rev (anything over 2000rpm) and it will clatter every now and then

its not constant, and it doesnt make the noise all the time through the rev range, only sometimes..

but yeah it makes the noise even idling...
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah, also... if i hold it at a certain rpm, like 2000rpm (which i didnt go over on my drive home, slowest drive home ever!) then it wont clatter, however apply acceleration and have the rpm increase even 200rpm and it will make a slight clatter noise which will then go away

but sometimes its quite a violent noise...

makes me shudder every time i hear it Crying or Very Sad
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 12:17

doesnt make it when idling

but yeah it makes the noise even idling...

Hahaha, talk about contradicting yourself Razz. Sorry just had to do it Very Happy.

Kev.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i meant to say it does make the noise even in neutral

my bad
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh Very Happy

Yeah sounds like it's most likely a bearing, that or you have a large chunk of metal flying around your engine somewhere Smile. Best bet is have it checked by a good mechanic.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20v!
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, saw an ad for 20v silvertop at ichiban for $595, im just trying to get the car running though...

but if all i'll need is 20v ecu and loom and if everything else is compatible, then maybe 20v...

it all depends, money's a bit tight atm heh
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is all you need but its one of those things that while the engine is out you should do some other things like fron + rear main seal clutch sump gaskets new oil and filters including fuel filter.

If you do it like that and can do all the work yourself then it should cost in the region of $1500 however a regrind of the crank with new bearings (providing the crank can be saved) will probably cost close to if not the same so the choice is yours
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i started it up again just earlier just for about 30 seconds just to have a better listen to hear whats wrong, and at idle it does it now too...

just a constant clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-cl unk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-

but still idles fine and everything... very weird..

im listening to it, sounds like its coming from the very front of the engine (ie, far left side of the engine bay)
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My AE82 4A-GE Bigport Twinky - possibly fucked, pending investigation >:( Fri, 14 October 2005 07:05 Go to previous message
mmmm i wouldnt be playing too much with it if its a bearing the more you have the engine running the more damage it will be doing to the crank i.e it may well be beyond the point of being able to machine it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jesse's new ride- MS57 crown wagon!
Next Topic:GA65 project - updated with lots of pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:41:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055158138275146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.