Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 00:54 Go to next message
Has anyone done away with the standard water cooled oil filter arrangement and bolted an adaptor straight to the block to allow remote oil cooler/filter?
Cheers
Mark
  Send a private message to this user    
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark,
I have mate.
Changed to an oil to air setup.
Can show you a picture if you want.

Gabe
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when I bought my car, it had an adaptor on the block, a remote oil cooler which bolts to the chassis rail and a remote oil filter.

The block fitting looks like a standard part.

I can't take photos for a while because the car's a long way away.

Matt
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just purchased this setup last night Smile

Spin on adapter goes on the block, then 2 pipes to a remote oil filter adapter. Then route via oil cooler. Or could do it other way around - block - cooler - filter.

Plenty of companys make generic adapters for this job.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a generic Ford filter relocation kit which fit on my 6M and 2JZ, so there's a good chance it will work on a 3S as well. FWIW it's best to run the oil cooler after the filter; hot oil flows through the filter better.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much are these remote oil filter kits.. a few mates have bought them the hoses look like cheap shit... how much am i looking at for one with the appropraite shit or just one with the adaptor and i buy the oil lines and fittings
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie for clarifying the order there.

As for hoses, when the time comes i'll probably just go see Pirteck to see what they suggest.

The adapters usually sell for under $100.

Cheers
Joel
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so in the adaptor kit thingo u get a adaptor the has 2 hose fittings then runs to another adaptor which the oil filter screws to and you have the option of puttin an oil cooler in the middle of that...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The adapters I bought didn't come with hoses or fittings, but they had threaded holes for the oil lines so you can run whatever hoses/fittings you like.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbora28 - where did you get your setup from ?

gabe - yours is for a gen 2 i believe ?

i think i may have to investigate this due to new interwarmer piping setup - can still change the filter but it certainly isnt fun!
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique - Mine is for a gen 2 yes. I made mine from a few different bits because I needed the hoses to come off the adapter from the side not the top. This was due to space restrictions. My turbo manifold was too close to the adapter on the block because it is custom.

Also, if you are chasing one for a stock setup, Earls have an off the shelf item available.... I think they have a catalog on their website.

Gabe

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2005 05:15]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 12 August 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Below is what the factory Gen 3 adapter looks like when the cooler is removed.
What I did was weld an alloy plate on the top with a hole in the center, and then tapped a hole in the side where the green dot is.
This allows me to use a remote filter and a oil cooler but still keep it all low profile. If need be I can get a photo with the plate welded on and the hole tapped in the side.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/RMFilter.jpg

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Cool1, the hollow bolt that goes in the centre there.. I'm trying to find one that is low enough profile. I tried a 4A one but they have a lot of 'non threaded' section and wont screw in far enough.

Cheers
Joel
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fitted a perma - cool unit to my car
used earls fittings and braided lines
cost about $80 from rocket industries

cheers Very Happy

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/3379/dsc004732nm.jpg

http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/8097/dsc004260rj.jpg
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you retain or remove the original oil heat exchanger unit?
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey joel

I left it there - didnt want to make too much
work for myself Rolling Eyes

it makes life alot easier having the filter out from
where it was though

cheers Very Happy
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No ABS either Troy, looks like someone gets up to a bit of mischief when the missus isnt looking hehe Very Happy

Ive heard of people diabling it electronically, but not removing the whole module...how did u go rerouting the brake lines? did u just use ones from a 182?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how would you go from a legality issue ? i didnt think you could remove "saftey features"
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joel, I have a pretty short one of those hollow bolts, very little unthreaded section, off a non oil-cooled 4age. Yours sounds like the long one that goes through the standard oil cooler bypass/sandwich plate. I was about to offer mine to you but realised that I'll prolly be in your position as I'm planning on doing the same thing in the next few weeks.... sorry mate! Smile
I'll dig it out tomorrow arvo & give it a measure, at least that might be some help to you.

Shane, that's not a bad idea on modifying that adaptor, the 4A thermostat oil cooler bypass plate might even be a little easier to use with the thermostat gutted, so you've got me thinking.
So any pics you can manage would be great.
Thanks dude.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for you Worm boy:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Oil%20Adaptor/P0003998.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Oil%20Adaptor/P0004001.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Oil%20Adaptor/P0004002.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Oil%20Adaptor/P0004004.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/3S%20Oil%20Adaptor/P0004005.jpg
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joel, those measurements would be good mate. Though I do think i've got one from the standard 4AC non oil cooled block. It's just with this 3S adapter thing you seriously only need like 10mm of thread on each side of the nut and thread would need to go all the way to the nut in the middle.

I had a chat to Gabe and Cool1 and sounds like both had to get a custom made threaded tube. Otherwise, do that mod by tapping into the alloy block etc. But Cool1's Gen3 one looks easier to do than the Gen2 Sad

Cheers
Joel
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And this is a fix for Joel:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Threaded%20adaptor/P0002028.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Threaded%20adaptor/P0002025.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Threaded%20adaptor/P0002019.jpg
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you happen to find it?? Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Thu, 06 October 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not yet. I'll look in the workshop tomorrow Smile
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Fri, 07 October 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Shane, very tidy indeed, thanks for that! Very Happy

Ok, Joel, I just dug out the 4A one, and it is;

43mm long in total;

12mm of thread each end;

and 5mm worth of 22mm dia. hex in the middle, with the small remainder either side of the hex unthreaded.

Hope that helps!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE remote oil filter Sat, 08 October 2005 01:54 Go to previous message
Hey Joel, I just found that my old 4age stashed under the house has another one of these in it, so if you want one & it's going to do the job you're welcome to it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:apexi afc wiring??
Next Topic:aftermarket lights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:46:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006554126739502 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.