Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Wed, 05 October 2005 21:53 Go to next message
I got a 1G-GTE and it needs a rebuild but i want to leave the turbo's off. anyone know what pistons, cam's, ect. i will need and what sorta compression and rwkw i would be lookin at? i wanna get about 120-150 rwk if it's possible or the same sorta output as the turbo version... can anyone help?

Cheers
Azzy
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Wed, 05 October 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you'd like to rebuild a 1GGTE as an NA motor? The last Gen1 1GGE I saw slapped down 82rwkw, that was just with an aftermarket exhaust. I'd say while achieveable, it's probably easier to just leave it turbocharged or get a different engine, the parts aren't really available off the shelf for the 1GGE and you'd have to be getting custom stuff.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Thu, 06 October 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
150rwkw you'll be looking at over 10:1 compression, cams with about 10mm lift, bigger throttle body, full extractors, and aftermarket ecu with a proper tune.

And you'll only have 200Nm of torque.

Expected cost would be about 10k.
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Thu, 06 October 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so it's possible but not a good idea? i dislike turbo's but if i have one insurance will bend me over... so you see my position? would i be able to get about 120 rwkw with the supercharger or would i be better off just sticking with the turbo's and rebuild it that way? i just don't want my car to sneeze ie. blowoff valve lol... do you have to have a blowoff valve or wastegate or can you have something that won't make noise when u let off the throttle to change gear... i don't wanna be labeled a typical 17yr old with a turbo'd car if u know wat i mean... and is it better to convert it to a single turbo or run both turbo's if i had to go that option... i don't want lag in the power like i've heard turbos have. and do superchargers have lag? and would they be bad for a mainly street car? soz... i know about as much as engines and cars as a dog would lol

cheers
Azzy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Thu, 06 October 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Insurnace will fuck you over with any boosted car - turbo or SC. Either save up for it or dont bother. If some kinf of non-CTP insurance is manditory for you, and you can't afford to pay it - you wont be able to afford a forced-induction sports car.

You could convert a GZE to turbo, but not other way around. Is common for 4agze to tranform into 4agte.

There's no BOV on a 1GGZE - throttle is ahead of the supercharger so it never sees boost - so no wanker-with-a-small-penis BOV sound.

You're not running massive boost and methanol fuel so the likelihood of a damaging 'sneeze' (backfire thru SC) is highly unlikley - anyway, the ABV (air bypass valve) that lets the engine run NA at low rpms and power output would let any backfire bypass the SC.

SC has minimal lag - if any. The 1G-GZE is not a traditional SCsetup - the engien can bypass the SC so the engine - like a turbo - can run wih vacuum in the intlet as well as boost. The 1ggze is very similar to the 4agze in operation - search on them both.

Before you ask any more questions about GZEs - search them and read up on how they work. Also go thru this site <http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/tm_ind ex.html>, it's one of the best reference sites on Toyota engines.
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Thu, 06 October 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 20:33

Insurnace will fuck you over with any boosted car - turbo or SC. Either save up for it or dont bother. If some kinf of non-CTP insurance is manditory for you, and you can't afford to pay it - you wont be able to afford a forced-induction sports car.

I don't mind payin the insurance but there just ripoff merchants when ur 17 and drive a boosted car Sad but i guess thats the price u pay... no pun intended.

You could convert a GZE to turbo, but not other way around. Is common for 4agze to tranform into 4agte.

Well at the moment i have a 1G-GTE so i guess i won't be getting a supercharger... Sad

There's no BOV on a 1GGZE - throttle is ahead of the supercharger so it never sees boost - so no wanker-with-a-small-penis BOV sound.
i meant on the turbo...

You're not running massive boost and methanol fuel so the likelihood of a damaging 'sneeze' (backfire thru SC) is highly unlikley - anyway, the ABV (air bypass valve) that lets the engine run NA at low rpms and power output would let any backfire bypass the SC.
i was refering to the b.o.v. sound... it sound like a sneeze to me... i didn't know it meant a backfire... can i run an A.B.V on a turbo and would it make a sound? if so do many people run them why/why not?

SC has minimal lag - if any. The 1G-GZE is not a traditional SCsetup - the engien can bypass the SC so the engine - like a turbo - can run wih vacuum in the intlet as well as boost. The 1ggze is very similar to the 4agze in operation - search on them both.

as i said i know almost nothing about motors... is there much lag with the T.T. setup?

Before you ask any more questions about GZEs - search them and read up on how they work. Also go thru this site <http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/tm_ind ex.html>, it's one of the best reference sites on Toyota engines.
im gonna go have a look at the site now... just wanted to post this so i know wat to tell the mechanic tomorrow so we can start work on it asap... do you know where i can get pistons and what-not for these motors to rebuild it? like where is the best place... also does anyone make stuff like forged pistons and cams and stuff like that for the internals that isint a custom made item? thanks for ya help guys.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Thu, 06 October 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For you information there is no BOV on a stock 1G-GTE either, stock the boost was persumably too low for toyota to put one on.

Whilst having one is a good idea for the health and wellbeing of the stock turbos, you don't need to put on an atmospheric (sp) BOV. You can use a plumb back set up which in short vents the air back into the intake an you don't get as noticable sound at low boost levels.

As for rebuilding a 120rwkw 1G-GE, whilst yes it is possible, a rebuild of a 1G is an expensive exercise as performance parts aren't really available off the shelf and usually have to be custom made. and stock parts....well if you think the insurance companies bend you over wait until you visit toyota for parts. Shocked

Unless you really want to rebuild a 1G your best bet would be to go to an importer and buy a 1G-GTE for $750 and drop that in. and leave it stock. this will yield somewhere around the 120rwkw you desire.
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Thu, 06 October 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got one for 550 with 2 boxes auto and man, loom and ecu. he wanted 700 for it but it's in an unknown condition. and it sounds as if it's been modified to fit in an RA40.

Cheers
Azzy

i think imma leave my turbo's on there then.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Thu, 06 October 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is modifited to fit in a sprinter, that really doesn't change the engine itself, just the cross member it sits on.

For your information Toyota quoted me $880 for the bottom end bearings, and I had a quote of $1400 for Custom pistons. I just picked up a 1G-GTE for $400 to replace mine.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Fri, 07 October 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do u guys find them sooo cheap !
i ring up a wrecker and they have no idea what generation it is.
then i come here and they are all WAY out of my price range !
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Fri, 07 October 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Being in Sydney makes it easier, lots of Importers have them.

Mine I got has a main bearing or conrod bearing gone, The guy had it in a Soarer and was planning a 1J conversion so I got his. it only has 70,000km's on it other than the bad bearing.
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE to 1G-GE conversion and rebuild Fri, 07 October 2005 07:48 Go to previous message
ummm.... i live in qld... i scored it from stz. but its in an unknown condition... and so i won't know the condition till i pick it up... but only in my dreams it'd be in perfect condition and it's have forged pistons n stuff like that in it hahahahaha... i could only wish... just ring around and don't ask for a halfcut... just get the engine and box and loom and if ur gonna be changing turbo's neway ask for them to keep the computer. just get the bare essentials. if ya want i can try and source one for ya and get a quote to ship it down... or u could get a quote to ship it and i'll ring around aslong as u give me a price limit, and i'll give u their number and maybe they can ship it down or i could go pick it up, then ship it to u.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2y superchargered??
Next Topic:Teeny Mufflers - Where can I get then (pics inside)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:23:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046639442443848 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.