Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Windex
Regular

June 2005
3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Fri, 07 October 2005 01:42 Go to next message
My exhaust has a hole in it Sad Doh. But it does give me an excuse to take the shield off and have a look at thats there. My 3sge is in a ta23 and when I last got it back from the tuners they suspected breathing problems and I guessed that it might be the exhaust. It is a 2 inch with hi flow cat and a loudish muffler, but the extractors were the things that interested me. The primaries dont make it past the heat shield and the secondaries go almost all the way to the cat(half way along the car). This design as far as I can tell means that there will be a fair bit of flow restriction close to the head. Any ideas on what sort of length I should be looking for on the primaries and secondaries? Anybody got a 3sge in a rwd setup thats not mid mounted(mr2).

Any ideas would be awesome.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 October 2005 01:43]

Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Fri, 07 October 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2inch was the standard exhaust on gen 1 3sge's dont know about the rest so id maybe go 2.25 or something to help if it is indeed struggling to breath, do you have extractors or just standard manifold, theres plenty of 2nd hand extractors for these engines around for nothing...
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Fri, 07 October 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am pretty sure it isnt a standard manifold, because it is now rwd, but I suspect that it might be a standard manifold that has been cut and made to suit. How long are the primaries on the standard manifold.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Fri, 07 October 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrmm testing my memory lol... 150 - 200mm ??? then secondaries run pretty much to the cat
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Fri, 07 October 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup sound spretty normal. stock headers are usually like logs.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Fri, 07 October 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm yes thats a bit what they look like on mine, and the secondaries bolt onto the primaries. Now the next question is what do the aftermarket ones look like? What sort of design, so if I was to get custom ones made up.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Sat, 08 October 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any pics/descriptions...
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Wed, 12 October 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
None at all? Anyone got/know of a clubman with the engine in it?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Wed, 12 October 2005 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do a quick search on ebay. everyone sells ssa headers, but you DO NOT buy them.

RWD and FWD design principles are the same, long primaries (long as in past the engine) into one large collector for top end, or medium primaries into 2 long secondaries into collector for a more balanced power.

look at any rwd i4 set up. it should be teh same (unless someone makes a whack firing order)
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGE Removing exhaust heat shield Mon, 17 October 2005 01:41 Go to previous message
Awesome, any ideas on what sort of cost I am looking at?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oil pissing out of breather!!!
Next Topic:throttle body noise (sqeeling)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 20:53:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050790309906006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.