Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
icon12.gif  wheel spin Wed, 28 September 2005 12:59 Go to next message
hey guys just wondering if anyone knows how to stop the annoying hopping up and down of the rear wheels when u get the spinning?
ive heard of putting a 3rd spring in, wondering how difficult this would be and if it is worth it?
thanks
~andrew~
  Send a private message to this user    
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: wheel spin Wed, 28 September 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can suggest somethings that could cause it. I Would not go to adding any extra components just yet.

Any of the following could cause axle tramp, or hopping as you refer to.

Worn out shocks
Worn out, broken or missing bushes or components
Replacement Urethane bushes not free to rotate
Too hard shock
Too heavy spring
Tyres under-inflated
Not enough anti-squat in the suspension geometry

Need to know the setup on the car for further suggestions.

Regards

Rodger
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: wheel spin Wed, 28 September 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Wed, 28 September 2005 22:59

hey guys just wondering if anyone knows how to stop the annoying hopping up and down of the rear wheels when u get the spinning?
ive heard of putting a 3rd spring in, wondering how difficult this would be and if it is worth it?
thanks
~andrew~

i think your car is trying to tell to stop trying to do burnouts Rolling Eyes
WYSIWYG
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Wed, 28 September 2005 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
traction brackets solved my big issue with wheel hop - mine was so violent i actually snapped the bottom of my rear shocks Confused
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: wheel spin Wed, 28 September 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had similar 'issue' in my RA23...i got massive wheel bounce from the rear taking off from the start line from 1st, 2nd and bottom of 3rd. Turned out gear box mount rubber was rooted, well half missing, and the whole drive train bucked like ya misses when you told her thats they way her mother liked it too!

Try this: Take the car out on some flat wet grass and while standing still get the wheels spinning at low revs (or moving slowly in a straight line - the whole point is you want the wheels spinning with no bounce)....once spinning and its not bouncing put boot in and see if still has a fit...if it does its definitely shocks/springs (most likely they're stuffed)...if it doesn't bounce then like yrhkira mentioned look at the other components cause it sounds like it bounces when subject to large forces (road burnouts), don't forget to check the gear box mount (doubtfull) and try tightening all of the suspension components too.

If you can't be buggered upgrading the suspension, weld the diff, whack some skinny tyres on it and add a bit of oil and you're smokin' all the way to the local street drags! Good luck.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Thu, 29 September 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its in a ke70, and both of them that i have do the same thing, well the other one did til i removed the thing that goes vroom Razz
the springs are new, shocks are pedders gas, who knows from when, everything is standard. all bushes there, bit old but still look alright.
these burnouts are on a patch of what used to bre grass. now dirt, on slippy grass it doesnt tend to do it, so im just wondering if it is as the tyres try to grip, and rotate on the springs a bit, and then unload ^hop^ then try grip again.... like that, but i duno.
oldcorollas, why would i get a rwd corolla if not for drifting or burnouts Razz (although the fact it was free was part of the decision making process Laughing )
anywho what can u suggest now u know the setup?
thanx guys
~andrew~
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: wheel spin Thu, 29 September 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Thu, 29 September 2005 19:01

why would i get a rwd corolla if not for drifting or burnouts Razz

Ke70's pull chix bro, sik Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: wheel spin Thu, 29 September 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your shocks are not up to the job.. pedders gas are not exactly the best shock in the world Wink

WYSIWYG, are they for 4 link rears also?
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: wheel spin Thu, 29 September 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Traction brackets just mount the lower trailing arms a little lower on the axle side of things (on a 4 link rear), giving more antisquat. I think that they may even reduce rear weight transfer slightly on acceleration resulting in possibly poorer traction on take off ??? I'm not too sure about this but I thought that this is why they are so popular with the dorifto boys.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Fri, 30 September 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so thats it, definitely the shocks, or just likely the shocks??
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy a set of shocks....if it doesn't work at least you have a spare set! Laughing Laughing W

What tyre pressures are you running?
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i tend to run around 30psi, a bit more than the recommened but they roll so much on the spec setting.
im lookin at gettin an alfa 105 diff for the ke70 soon, so i may try new shocks if i get that.
thanx for the help guys, ill let u know if i get new shocks on the rear....what type would u recomend? (i would never touch pedders but they were there when i got the car) but what is good?
~andrew~
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wats in this ke70 lol i know a std one cant pull a skid unless its been raining for 3 days haha
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL
yeah mate is a stocker
4k-c thunderous power, my extractors make all the difference
the question should be what under it
the answer is dirt, (which used to be grass....disappeared for some reason Razz) and yeah i just bring her up to 7000 and drop the clutch, and she bounces around til i get to scared and back off Razz shes fine if ur movin, just standin still the bounces on the spot Sad
~andrew~
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol wats the fun in that ... youll never break a ke70 weve tried meny of times dont worry about it Razz
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol im not worried, its just embarrasing in front of me mates Razz
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replace the shocks first and if that doesent work replace all the bushes. My mates KE70 used to hop like a bastard before now with all new nolathane in the rear it'll smoke up on the spot no probs.

(I sound like such a bogan now)
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol but were all proud to be bogan rite?
what else is there to day aye
yeah dont those big word bushes sorta stop ur suspension moving the way it should, or is that a different type?
~andrew~
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its the bushes, the rear wheels are trying to go while the car is stationary (moving forward in the wheel wells), this compresses the chassis like a spring, and it springs back out, then repeats.

new bushes will fix your issue, especially if they're nolathane, because they dont stretch and compress like rubber ones do.

Eldar.O.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: wheel spin Thu, 06 October 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strange that I never had this problem...

What height springs are you running and how hard are they? I was running AE86 King spring lows. Stock shocks. Never had the problem... I figure if the springs are hard enough, there's no way your diff is going to try to lift off the ground... Get some hardened lowered springs, you can pick up a pair of King spring lows for around $160 and they'll fit right in... Spring rate of around 3.3KG/MM I think.

Kev.
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the sounds of things if its only bouncin on the spot when you do a 7G CLUTCH DUMP, the car doesn't have enough torque to keep it going! Laughing Laughing Maybe try a quick gear change to keep it there in 2nd? not too hard just gotta be quick! Cool
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need the following things to do fooly sik squealies in ur KE70.

1. Power. A new motor with more horsies than the 4kc.
2. Stiff Springs and shocks.
3. Shitty old bald hard tyres
4. Last and most importantly, no real idea about performance in cars.

I reccomend a commodore with a hektik turbo as your car of choice mate.
Nice Cool

[Updated on: Fri, 07 October 2005 03:05]

love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18. do u drive one of these commodores wif a hektik turbo? coz to do squealies u need a squealie surface, im doin it on dirt Razz Laughing thanx for the post tho mate, was fooly hektik Cool

ajmor6 y do u think the wheels will keep spinning in second when the arnt spinning in first?? do u think the wheels are spinnin fast enpught to need a gear change?

thanks fellas for all ur help
~andrew~
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man I used to pull some hektik burnouts on wet roads in my rolla. Lol. Nah but seriously man, cut yourself a short shifter, and if you can change gears to second quickly enough (ie rev+dump in first, then rev+dump in second quick), you can keep the burnout going for a fair while.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah I don't got the teh fooly hektik commo mate, but I'm foooly jealousing on those bro's that do got one.

Seriously mate, the only way to get your car to spin it's wheel/s is to pop a 4AGE or better in there. Power = burnouts, or at least even a bit of a single spinner spinny thing on the dirt. I have noticed it in cars that axle tramp with a weaker motor in them but once more horsies are going through, traction breaks and wheels go spin, wheeee!

Actually I'm a bit surprised at my posting on this thread cos I ordinarily don't believe in excessive loss of traction. Of course, a little bit of oversteer and slide is easily acceptable. What do the kids call it? That drifting stuff?
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never had a problem with doing doughies and burnouts in dirt with the 4k though... maybe it comes down to "hektikness skill" hahaha.

Kev.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol yeh, the "hektik grass burnout skills bro"
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah bro fully... Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: wheel spin Fri, 07 October 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a stupid thread and should be locked. Rolling Eyes
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Sat, 08 October 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it didnt start out as a stupid thread, i was asking reasons for my axle tramp Wink
i think i might go and practise my 'hektik skills' bro
but yeah im puttin more horsies in when daddy lets...or i move out whichever comes first, im not into doin burnouts on roads, coz tyres cost too much, just a bit of paddock fun
well thanks all u fellas that did help me out, technicaly and not-so-technically, was good to get some opinions on the matter, see oldcorollas it was a worthwhile post, ur just jealous of my 4k power Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: wheel spin Sat, 08 October 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it leaf sprung in the rear ?
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Sat, 08 October 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope its coil springs
why do u ask?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: wheel spin Sat, 08 October 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 11:05

see oldcorollas it was a worthwhile post, ur just jealous of my 4k power Razz

hm, you never saw my fuel-injected, 275/284deg (11mmlift) cam'd 4K did you Wink
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: wheel spin Sat, 08 October 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wish i had Shocked
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: wheel spin Sun, 09 October 2005 01:35 Go to previous message
love ke70 wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 13:10

nope its coil springs
why do u ask?

Because axle tramp is really bad in leaf sprung cars due the springs twisting into an "S" shape. when they spring back to their original shape it causes the axle to bounce.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:toyota cressida gx60
Next Topic:HKS P-Fcon for 4AGE?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 1 22:38:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089972019195557 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.