Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
4age rwd water pump Tue, 13 September 2005 02:35 Go to next message
hi, i need to replace the front half of my water pump. its on a jap rwd ae86 engine. What fits? ae92 looks the same, ae82 looks different and i havent seen a 4ac one.

urgent, thanks. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age rwd water pump Tue, 13 September 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AC will bolt right on.
Done it a couple of times with mine.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Tue, 13 September 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy Thanks bill! the old one cracked after 1000km's Mad
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4age rwd water pump Wed, 14 September 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwd 4age one will do 4ac ones with fans that bolt on are to long and youll find that the pullet will stick out
both ae82 and 92 ones are the same
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers mate just found out today Crying or Very Sad . ae82 item looks the go. You wouldnt know if all the crank pulleys are interchagable for 4ages? ie. 100kw fits rwd 96kw?

thanks
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 10:32

cheers mate just found out today Crying or Very Sad . ae82 item looks the go. You wouldnt know if all the crank pulleys are interchagable for 4ages? ie. 100kw fits rwd 96kw?

thanks

FWD & RWD pulleys have different offset, as the FWD & RWD pumps are different lengths as well.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i tried the 4ac pump, it was too long, i think the ae92 pump was too long aswell but it also had a different fan hub. i'll let you know how the ae82 pump fits tommorrow, im starting to think it has more to do with smallport/bigport rather than rwd/fwd. if the ae82 pump is a winner, i'm inclined to think i could use an ae82 crank pulley aswell? maybe my engine is mismatched Confused .
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, I take it that if you have a RWD Bigport 4AGE (eg JDM 86) then a 4ac pump will fit, otherwise a FWD pump is the shot?
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the 4ac pump i ordered was too long, as was the smallport jobbie, so ive ordered an ae82 pump. going by the pics its a perfect fit, but ill confirm it tomorrow. Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grab your old pump, go to the parts store, and check the potential purchase before taking it home.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah silly me, i was so confident. i took it in yesterday to compare with what they had, have to wait till tomorrow to check the ae82 pulley though. thanks for the advice. Wink
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 15 September 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why didn't you order the RWD ae86 water pump? I got one a couple days ago from toyota.

Eddie.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age rwd water pump Fri, 16 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate there's only three types of water pump.
FWD, RWD, and 20v.
The FWD ones are shorter than the RWD, not too sure about the 20v ones but they're slightly different AFAIK.
The AE-82 & AE-92 ones are the same.
You can use either a FWD or RWD pump on either a FWD or RWD engine, you just have to use the right FWD or RWD pulley so it all lines up.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Fri, 16 September 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 08:56

Why didn't you order the RWD ae86 water pump? I got one a couple days ago from toyota.

Eddie.

i went in there the other day and i was told i cant get them anymore.

As for the rwd/fwd thing, seeing how much experience you have Bill and how much i dont have, i'll take you're word for it Razz . I dont know the history behind my engine, i was told its an ae86 rwd bigport but for all i know it could just be a fwd engine with a rwd manifold.

Thanks for the help Smile
4ag20t
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Sat, 17 September 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im building a rear wheel drive 20v , and i tried to re use the water pump cause its almost new but it bottoms out on the rwd water pump mount, so don't use one of them! i need a fwd one also.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age rwd water pump Mon, 26 September 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also have a 20v, putting in my AE86...

I bought a RWD water pump from Bursons, and found they only gave me the front half, which is common for aftermarket stuff. I will have to order the RWD water pump from Toyota, as genuine pumps are suplyed as the full pump, front and back.

My original AE86 water pump was too corroded to use Sad

UPDATE:
parts I have got/ordered for E-AE86-ECMVF (GT-Apex):
RWD water pump (full pump) $80.40
thermostate housing (maybe different to 4A-C not sure) $63.78
AE86- 4A-GE water pump pulley $54.53
ribbed drive belt
RWD alternator bracket $127.11
alternator swing adjuster $13.08

I am interested to know how people route a small bypass tube around the thermostate with the RWD 20 valve. The RWD pump has a hole in the top of it for this.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2005 06:49]

Kaan
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 17:37

Eddie.

As for the rwd/fwd thing, seeing how much experience you have Bill and how much i dont have, i'll take you're word for it Razz . I dont know the history behind my engine, i was told its an ae86 rwd bigport but for all i know it could just be a fwd engine with a rwd manifold.

Did u try ask for a RWD pump off a 4AC motor?

i dunno wha to do on my engine i have all the RWD bits and FWD bits so i can mix n match still building it
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWD pump is still available, i just bought one last week. $80.00

Listed as the pump for AE86 4AGEU.

Kaan
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 13:13

RWD pump is still available, i just bought one last week. $80.00

Listed as the pump for AE86 4AGEU.

what should i use a FWD pump and pulley with thermo fan

or RWD pump and pulley with thermo fan

or RWD pump, pulley viscous hub fan

or RWD pump, pulley thermo fan and viscous hub fan?

ill be using the RWD water outlet.. will i need a RWD alternator bracket??? or 4afe braket? help
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need the pump appropriate for your block i think. Someone with a bit more experience here will probably help better.
I dont think you will fit both a thermo fan and OEM fan, and there is probably no point running both. The benefit of running a thermo is that it only runs when necessary, and theoretically that is when the car is stopped or at low speed.

About the alternator brackets, dunno, never been down that path, but Im sure the Billzilla site has info on it, or the other site he has links to (cant remember the guys name) HAve a good read of both these sites, there full of good stuff.

Hope you get her back on the road soon Kaan Wink
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaan wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 13:30

86DRFT wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 17:37

Eddie.

Did u try ask for a RWD pump off a 4AC motor?

i dunno wha to do on my engine i have all the RWD bits and FWD bits so i can mix n match still building it

yeah, i tried it, it was too long. ae82 bigport fitted mine.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW... the part numbers for a 4ac water pump and the ae86 4age pump are different. This might be the problem people are running into when ordering them.

Eddie.
Kaan
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 23:01

You'll need the pump appropriate for your block i think. Someone with a bit more experience here will probably help better.
I dont think you will fit both a thermo fan and OEM fan, and there is probably no point running both. The benefit of running a thermo is that it only runs when necessary, and theoretically that is when the car is stopped or at low speed.

About the alternator brackets, dunno, never been down that path, but Im sure the Billzilla site has info on it, or the other site he has links to (cant remember the guys name) HAve a good read of both these sites, there full of good stuff.

Hope you get her back on the road soon Kaan Wink

Its on the Road i live in sa though, im just getting preped up for the 4age conversion... whats the billzilla site ?

thanks canno!
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Thu, 06 October 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwoods sitehttp://www.billzilla.org/carindex.htm
This site is full of good stuff, but if you go to the bottom of the first page there are all sorts of links to good info

Phil Bradshaws site http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/INDEX .HTM
Click on the 4AGE>>RWD tab.
Kaan
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Fri, 07 October 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 08:00

Bill Sherwoods sitehttp://www.billzilla.org/carindex.htm
This site is full of good stuff, but if you go to the bottom of the first page there are all sorts of links to good info

Phil Bradshaws site http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/INDEX .HTM
Click on the 4AGE>>RWD tab.

thanks mate i will read em
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age rwd water pump Sun, 09 October 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will a RWD 4AGEU water pump be suitable for a RWD20v conversoin? i think mine has a 4AC one but its 2nd hand id rather be safe with a new one and put it on while the engines on a stand.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age rwd water pump Sun, 09 October 2005 05:33 Go to previous message
I could be wrong, but i think the 20v came in FWD format only, so you would probably want a FWD waterpump.

I could be wrong though. As said above, read those 2 sites, heaps of info about this subject there.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gen 3 1GGTE Mods
Next Topic:C160 to 100kw 4A - Any good?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:14:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068588256835938 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.