Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Painted the KE30 today.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hotgemini
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Painted the KE30 today. Tue, 04 October 2005 13:30 Go to next message
A mate (belly_up) and I are rebuilding a KE30 to be his daily driver and to win a bet with the administrators of performanceforums. Bought the car for $125, got donated some paint so we've put that on and I've gotta say, it came out looking pretty great. From this;
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hotgemini/pitgarage01.jpg

To this;
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hotgemini/rolla.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Painted the KE30 today. Tue, 04 October 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's lookin pretty snazzy Smile

may i ask what the wager is about?
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Wed, 05 October 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what colour black is that ? is it acrylic or 2pac ? you got anymore pics ?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Wed, 05 October 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA61 Wheels for teh win Very Happy Very Happy
hotgemini
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Thu, 06 October 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bet is our KE30 vs their KE35, whoever can do the fastest lap of the QR clubman circuit before November 9th wins two cartons of rum and coke.

It is wattyl acrylic black because thats what we were donated, total cost of the project so far is probably $300 including purchase of the car.

Some more photos, car should look the goods once we finish reassembly and give it a buff.

Only snag we've struck so far, we've somehow gained positive camber in the front end. No parts changed just taken apart and reassembled, are the strut tops offset? What else could it be?

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hotgemini/rolla1.jpg

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hotgemini/rolla2.jpg

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hotgemini/rolla3.jpg

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hotgemini/rolla4.jpg
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Fri, 07 October 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yo with that black does the imperfections show alot if you got any also did you clear it and how many times ? i am getting paint and ponding on wether to get acrylic or 2pac Smile
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Fri, 07 October 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pkt-rkt wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 17:56

yo with that black does the imperfections show alot if you got any also did you clear it and how many times ? i am getting paint and ponding on wether to get acrylic or 2pac Smile

i would do 2k if i were you. alot better paint. acrylic is ok but alot harder to repair, fix imperfections, sand etc.... depending on how many clear coats you put on but the more the better with acrylic.. also alot of shops wont spray acrylic for repairs (if yoru hit by soemone etc)
hotgemini
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Sun, 09 October 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, black highlights imperfections like a fashion photographer highlights nipples.

IMHO it all depends on your budget and goals, for the cost of 4 litres of primer, 4 litres of colour and 4 litres of clear we've now got a car which looks 10,000% better and we've possibly done something amazing and actually increased its value *more* than the cost of the work *SHOCK*. There are however dozens of imperfections, most of which we could have quite easily fixed with more sanding and primer but we were *very* short on time.

As for acrylic vs. 2-pack, again you need to assess your situation. The cost difference for us to go to 2-pack would have been over double the cost of the car, which was never going to happen.
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Mon, 10 October 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how well did you pre fab the car , in the sense of primer it in hifill ? sand it with electric sander ? then block hole car with 800 grid or 1200 grid ?

i am wanting black on my car and trying to get it to minimise as much imperfections as possible.

is $330 cheap for 4 litres of ppg matt black with clear in it and couple of litres of harder and thinners ?
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Painted the KE30 today. Mon, 10 October 2005 07:20 Go to previous message
pkt-rkt wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 15:11

how well did you pre fab the car , in the sense of primer it in hifill ? sand it with electric sander ? then block hole car with 800 grid or 1200 grid ?

i am wanting black on my car and trying to get it to minimise as much imperfections as possible.

is $330 cheap for 4 litres of ppg matt black with clear in it and couple of litres of harder and thinners ?

its a long process and theres alot to type but i can tell ya some, im lazy so ill probably miss a few
1) sand back paint around any repairs you need to make, this will make bog sit alot better also bog ontop of paint doesnt mix as after sometime of your car being in the sun the bog will dminish a little and youll be left with a mark under the paint surface, may result in cracking aswell. so sand repairs to metal or beond paint and then bog needed area's.

2) block the bog areas, dont worry about scracthing paint around them. make sure you get them nice and inline with cars natural curves. after that fill and pin holes you would have left in the bog.

3) now that the bog is good you need to sand back your wholoe car. you have 2 options
- sand all back to bare metal
- remove clear top coat.
i would go back to metal if you plan on changing colour. while sanding it is important to feather out and scratches you have left in the car.

4) depending on your bog work, (how good/straight it is) youll need to apply 3-5 coats of primer (ppg 2 componet primer, mixed with hardner and thinners ratio of 5-1 ) after this apply a guide coat (try purple haze, it works really well)

5) now your ready to block. block the car again with 240gr trying not to rub thorugh to metal. the guide coat will show up any imperfections/runs wich will need to be blocked out.

6) then wet rub the whole car again with 500 wet. basically your ready to paint. more info but ive typed enough now soo have fun

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wreckers in brendale, qld?
Next Topic:Bathurst 2005
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:32:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004040002822876 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.