Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » upgrade from 2tg?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wonky
Newcomer

October 2005
icon9.gif  upgrade from 2tg? Mon, 10 October 2005 09:53 Go to next message
well i am having trouble finding pistons for my old 2tg engine, so if i cant rustle some up, what kind of engine could/ should i put in my '74 TA22? (i want n/a) and legal. Confused

any suggestions most welcome

WoNKY
  Send a private message to this user    
t_temperley
Regular

May 2002
Re: upgrade from 2tg? Mon, 10 October 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a possible solution is a 2/3tg hybrid.
that is a 2tg using 3t crank+pistons ( valve relifs need to be machined in the pistons.)
for a total of 1.8 litres.
might as well if you already have the 2tg in pieces...
if you have a late model 2tg that is - 88260 or later this will bolt straight in.if you have an earlier 2tg the block woill need some machining.
Totally legal as there is no external difference Smile

If your interested i have both 3t pistons (.50 oversize) and a 3tgte crank (forged ) for sale.
pm me for details
cheers
tom

wonky
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: upgrade from 2tg? Mon, 10 October 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate, i'll contact my mechanic & get back to you asap
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: upgrade from 2tg? Mon, 10 October 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ACL, Venolia... etc
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: upgrade from 2tg? Mon, 10 October 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd figure that if it hard to find 2tg pistons, your gonna have more trouble finding 3tg pistons, or even getting 3t pistons flycut to suit
stick to 2tg dude. you can get parts for them. I've got rings and everything from bursons
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: upgrade from 2tg? Mon, 10 October 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AG or BEAMS 3SGE. You'll wonder why you even looked at a T engine Razz
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Notes on 2T-G parts availability Mon, 10 October 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Them's fighting words, don't let Bill or Rod see you.

Contrary to Grumpy(?)'s suggestion, 3T-C pistons are not hard to find, I think he's confused with 3T-G pistons. 3T-C ACL p/n 4MKRY2735 includes moly rings and pins. As at 5/10/2005 4MKRY2735 +0.5mm OS is discontinued with some NOS available and 4MKRY2735 +1.0mm OS is available, approx $300 RRP.

If you're going to rebuild it, don't just stick to 2T-G unless the following is satisfied;
a) you're on a very tight budget, and
b) your pistons and crank are going to be reused (see (a) above).
Otherwise I reckon you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to shell out $100 for a crank, $300 for some pistons, $100 for the requisite flycutting and building the motor out to 1800cc. Contrary to Grumpy(?)'s suggestion it's not hard to get the pistons flycut, it's not exactly black magic.

Rings aren't so hard to cross-reference from other applications if you've got a common bore size and ring groove dimensions etc.

I couldn't find 2T-G valves lately, 18R-G valves can be used, exhaust is straight fit, inlet is 0.5m OS. Can lathe them down... or just lap them in well I guess.

Main & big end bearings and thrust washers are available through ACL. I think the Toyota parts may be NLA and NOS only now. They'll still be on the Toyota EPC as 2T-GEU in TE71 Corolla GT though. Earlier chassis data has been retired from the Toyota database from at least 05/2005.

Gasket kits are available through Stuart Wilkins Motorsport in Sydney, either as VRS or full set.
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: Notes on 2T-G parts availability Tue, 11 October 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was only talking from my experiance, but I guess the 2 2tg/3t hybrid we have is bored out to 1995cc. so that's probably why I had trouble.
wonky
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: upgrade from 2tg? Wed, 12 October 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys, for the next few weeks i'll be flat out getting this thing together. ( i think i'll still be able to keep it ol-skool) the main problem with getting the pistons i wanted, was that i only wanted 1thou oversise, not quite the 1750cc that some parts places in japan/world have their piston sizes at.

September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: upgrade from 2tg? Thu, 13 October 2005 00:19 Go to previous message
.001"? Are you sure you don't mean .010"?

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 00:20]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 with 100kw motor making 82kw atw?
Next Topic:2ndGear a bit crunchy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:31:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046300888061523 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.