Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Fri, 07 October 2005 04:20 Go to next message
here we go, another 4age thread! ive had a good search of the forums and i cant seem to find my answer..

basically im after some usable street power for my 4age (in ae82) and i want it to stay NA.

my current thinking for the near future are a pair of cams, probably around 270-290 odd degree duration.. and a suitable ecu to let them run properly in my engine.

down the track im thinking i might go for some quad throttle bodies, so the ecu should be able to manage the engine well with these installed too..

so if anyone has recommendations for a good cam-ecu combination please let me know!! i havnt got a massive budget as ive just finished school, im thinking around $2.5k is a realistic budget for the cams and ecu? but im not sure..

any other good NA upgrade ideas that you guys have feel free to slip them my way too!

BTW at the moment the car is fitted with genie extractors, k&n air filter and 2inch exhaust... just for reference sake.

cheers

chris
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Fri, 07 October 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrrrm 2.5k might be pushing it

best bet is to find a second hand ecu with wiring harness that is for sale.
most half decent ecu's will run it fine
should be able to pick up something for about $800 with a basemap then spend $400 getting it retuned for you cams/motor.
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Fri, 07 October 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In all seriousness, I've heard of "mates rates" 20valves going for 1100$(with loom,ecu) so you're probably better off trying to find one of those.
Then you've got a better performing motor with a better computer, all the mods you want to do as standard and the reliability, drivability will be better.

Pro's
Newer motor
Less km's on it (guessing)
20% more power
quad tbodies
more efficient ECU
far far cooler
streetable
If you should decide to get bigger cams on this, there's no reason you cant mod only the second profile and leave the low profile the same.

Cons
A LOT of work to install
Not adjustable ecu
A LOT of work to install
less people with 'know how' about these
A LOT of work to install

If you can find someone with a clue to help you install it yourself you'll save a bundle. The hardest part will probably be the wiring.
4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Fri, 07 October 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20v was one of my options too but i said probably not for a few reasons...

1. if my current motor was rooted, or had done shit loads of km's then id be inclined to do a transplant, but its still in good nick and only just knocked up 200k (which isnt too bad for a 17odd year old car).

2. Insurance sake! as soon as u try to insure a car with an engine that isnt designed for it, up goes the premium!

3. Its the easy way to get power! (minus the install).. i want something that i can say i (sort of) built and have the satisfaction when thrashing the pants off someone that i made it go fast! may sound wierd but its my thinking Very Happy

but that doesnt mean its totally out of the question.. also as u said there isnt as much knowledge around for doing them up as there is for the 16v.. ive been having a good read through Bill Sherwoods pages and he is a fountain of knowledge! so it would be good to know there is someone out there that knows alot to be able to perhaps give one a helping hand with questions and recommendations.. as opposed to the 20v where, from what ive seen, isnt too much info out there about..

anyways thats enough talk, need to get back to studying geography for HSC!!!

thanks again

chris

p.s if anyone else has more info for me please feel free to chuck it my way!
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Fri, 07 October 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
50hp wet nitrous shot Smile

the thing you frogot...

who is doing the labour?
4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a few mates who are mechanics so ill be getting them to help me out.. with the ecu though, id probably have to get it put in professionally to tune it correctly for what i need it for?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a street tune would be good enough (find a not so used stretch of road) dyno it if you want the absolute biggest wank factor number though.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would want to have it dyno tuned aswell but road tuning has its benefits
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 20:39

If you should decide to get bigger cams on this, there's no reason you cant mod only the second profile and leave the low profile the same.

Dood, how many cam profiles do you think are on a single 20v cam ?
This might not be the vtec deal that youre thinking of.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 20:39

Dude, as said, 20v only runs variable valve timing, not variable lift.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 22:39

Cons
A LOT of work to install
Not adjustable ecu
A LOT of work to install
less people with 'know how' about these
A LOT of work to install

you forgot that you will also need to get a 20v engineered and possibly upgrade the brakes so there is atleast $500 in engineering costs alone

edit: a 20v conversion isnt exactly hard i would be able to do it in a weekend given the right tools and a decent garage

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2005 23:10]

SR20 trueno
Regular

July 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres a pair of 4age cams (300/288) for sale on here for $550 i think and race spec was selling the plug ang play power FC fo $1600 with the hand controller then all you need is $300-$400 to get it tuned.
search for parts... you never know what you'll find
SR20 trueno
Regular

July 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont need to engineer a 20v coz its the same capacity and standard brakes are fine for the street
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SR20 trueno wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 09:11

you dont need to engineer a 20v coz its the same capacity and standard brakes are fine for the street

i beg to differ over a 86kw 4age there is more than a 15% power difference
SR20 trueno
Regular

July 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt have to get mine engineered until i put the supercharger onto it and it was put in by a workshop that does engineer certificates. my original engine was a mighty 4AC as well

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2005 23:34]

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4age cams, ecu, quad throttle bodies... Mon, 10 October 2005 23:49 Go to previous message
i just told em that i got a engine replacement and did it up with a 20v head, etc. they where cool with it.
no engeneer cert required.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2005 23:49]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ecu advice for 1j
Next Topic:Fuel Consumption ST185 GT4
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:57:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066828727722168 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.