Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Sun, 09 October 2005 11:08 Go to next message
Hi guys, my autobox in my Cressida finally took one for the team, can't even back up my driveway (but forward gears are fine). The car uses a JZX81 Chaser halfcut. What autoboxes fit this car? I have been told that a Soarer box will not work, but need confirmation of this, and also need a replacement box if anyone has one available.
Any help appreciated, I need to get my car back on the road ASAP Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Sun, 09 October 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was told that you could just take the wiring plug off a chaser box and fit a soarer one or vice versa as they are all very similar boxes. Never tried it though but will when my box goes.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 10 October 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the Soarer box is like the V8 Soarer box, then it has the 3 pronged output.
Not sure if the TT has slipyoke or not.

JZX90 box's are A342E's I believe.
7MGTE's are A340E's, you should be able to use that.
1GGTE's are A340E's, but not sure if its as strong.
7MGE's are A340E's too, but guaranteed different internals.

You sohuld be able to find a JZX81 box easily.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 10 October 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is a slipyoke?
Where can I find a JZX81 box? Can you recommend any places that would have them cheaply? I'll settle for a soarer box if I can't find one. I assume a JZA70 one is similar to the JZX81 chaser box?

If that wiring plug trick works then I'll be cheerin Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 10 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should be able to find an A340E in any shipping yard...

I threw two of them out...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 10 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70 should be bolt on.
Slipyoke is the opposite of 3 pronged yoke
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 10 October 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not mechanically minded, so I have no idea what that means Sad

I can find an A340E at a junkyard, but it would be just a weak one from a regular cressida, not a strong one from a turbo motor.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 10 October 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Time to find a new junkyard Razz
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 10 October 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a340e? same as a v6 camry.... time to go look for a 2800 or 3k stall
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try and find a rwd V6 Camry...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 09:59

Try and find a rwd V6 Camry...

if you do..

ill take two!

my mate wants to 1MZ his FC
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone made a 1mz rwd camry in the states, for rally purpses and to show of his company (sportivo concepts) but crashed it Sad

it wouldnt be entirely impossible as japan had AWD camrys...

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2005 00:42]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E-W AWDs if you think carefully.

Any ideas if a 7MGTE A340e has the same plugs as a 7MGE A340e?
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No idea, but if it does and you have one in good nick at a fair price I'll take it Smile
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found some Chaser ones, but $600+! Sad Apparently some have looms, others have plugs, my car uses a JZX81 halfcut, which version would I need?

Apparently EvilJack has a Soarer box in his Cressida, just need info on how he got it to work.
JZX-83T
Regular

April 2004
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a jzx80 81 series box would be best, tried to fit a jza70 box to my mx83 and found the gear shifter fouled on the speedo sensor and the dipstick was pointing in the complete wrong direction. Sure you could get a 90deg adaptor to fix the sensor and somehow bend the dipstick but it was all to much trouble for me. Found a jzx80 box at sss so used that. The jza70 box also didnt seem to have and abs sensor which i needed (it was one plug short for the jzx80 engine loom. Do the usual ring around, i didnt know they were so hard to find. Best of luck
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Tue, 11 October 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm Mark has a JZA70 engine & box in his cressy, wonder how he managed.
Rule out the JZA70 box I guess.
What is a fair price to just rebuild mine? I reckon the only thing wrong with it is the clutches & bands. It shifts into all the gears fine, but just revs out if I am in 3rd, 4th, reverse etc, like the clutches are slipping. Going into reverse was really rough though before it failed.
Thanks for the tips Smile
Really keen to know if soarer boxes will fit, and what difficulties I would encounter. And need to know which Chaser boxes have that loom or plugs (where should I look for mine?). The wreckers don't know the two chaser boxes apart except that one has plugs, the other has a loom or two.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Wed, 12 October 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have ABS on my car, so one less thing to worry about Smile

Just had a look under there and the box has plugs on it rather than a loom, does that tell us anything?
Other details I got:

1J/6030444 (engine #)

30/41LE (gearbox model?)
2A860
Ser# 35000
90KE02482

I'm not sure if it is even a Chaser box in there, could be a JZA70 one or a JZZ30 Soarer one. Is there any way of telling by those numbers or looking at the box? I need to check which side the speed sensor is on too.
bowlsclubboy
Regular

January 2004
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Wed, 12 October 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I figure is a jzx70 has the same model code (a304e?) and someone says the shifter is different, i'd say there is a fair chance that you can just bolt your existing shifter arm onto it ribfeast. A simple way would be to measure a known distance on your box...say from the start of the extension housing to the shifter spline for example, then just get the wrecking yard/someone on the forums to do the same to compare. I'd almost say 100% that the external casings didnt change on any of the boxes.
-Troy
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Wed, 12 October 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The box is still in the car, makes it hard to measure that Sad

Just read this thread a sec ago:
http://pforums.company-hosting.com/forums/showthre ad.php?p=839355256

From the description of the guys on there, it is definitely a chaser box that my car has, unless a soarer box has the same serials etc. Mine has a kickdown cable if that makes a difference.
bowlsclubboy
Regular

January 2004
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Wed, 12 October 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine has a 'line pressure' cable too...and it's a genuine jzx81 box (i putted it in myself sir) Smile
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Wed, 12 October 2005 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The main thing I really need to know is whether a Soarer box will work, especially electrically Smile As they are half to 1/3 the price and far easier to come by ($250 vs $600)
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Thu, 13 October 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 21:18

1J/6030444 (engine #)

30/41LE (gearbox model?)
2A860
Ser# 35000
90KE02482

you need a 3041LE then as thats what you have all the plugs will be the same, if the rear section of the box is different then you just swap yours onto it, this is what i did when i first did my conversion as my box on the half cut was dead.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Thu, 13 October 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet so I can just use any soarer box and swap my rear casing onto it? If so that is a major relief! Very Happy
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Fri, 14 October 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it might be as simple as asking for the same box as you are using now in the parts wanted area of this site.autos can go for $50 pick up,offer $100 within whatever radius you are prepared to pick up from and you just might get lucky.Buying a box from another car could put you in a predicament of needing auto electrical assistance.It can get VERY tricky.Buy a box with exactly the same plugs.Good Luck. Smile
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Fri, 14 October 2005 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude, I've traced that box number to a JZX81 through my EPC. So thats Chaser,Mark II or Cresta. 09/90 to 10/92.
Should be able to use a V8 Soarer box(UZZ3x), though you may need to change the extension housing, the speedo and sensor pickups maybe slightly different.

As far as I can tell, the 1JZ Soarer boxes are A340E with slip yoke output shaft. No good for you. Good luck.

http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/369/a340ejzz3x9zx.th.jpg

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/6982/a341ejzx812gt.th.jpg

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/3466/a341euzz3x9hr.th.jpg
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Sat, 15 October 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to mention, you could probably get away with a UCF1x Celsior/LS400 unit too. Was comparing a UZZ31 Soarer with a UCF11 Celsior today and they look near identical except the output flanges are slightly different and not compatible. The rubber donut for the Soraer has larger diameter metal inserts than the other unit for the Celsior. Speedo sensor is different too but the mounting hole is the same.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida? Mon, 31 October 2005 05:05 Go to previous message
Hi, I know this is kinda reviving an old thread... But If I am getting an auto 1JZ VVTi halfcut from either a JZX100 or a late model JZZ30, what gearbox will I have? A340E? And how many teeth are on the output spline?? (thats assuming it is a spline)

Thanks...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts?
Next Topic:Oil pipe on gen3 3sgte head
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 16:58:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067718029022217 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.