Toymods » Tech & Conversions » gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Sun, 09 October 2005 15:58 Go to next message
I have a green injector 1g-gte, with the loom cut, hence no ECU plugs to tell weather or not it's 2'nd or 3'rd gen. Is there any other physical difference between gen 2 and 3 that I could use to work this out? engine numbers or casting no's etc? Engine is not in car, not has it been run so i can'r measure the boost. (and i need to know what model it is b4 so i can get the right computer)
Thanks! (i spent 2 hours searching and got nothing)

anyone with a spare mid-rear sump and/or the steel fabricated mounts pm me!, or computer (gen2 or 3 when i know) (doing ra23 conversion)
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Sun, 09 October 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gen2 has yellow injectors. If you measure the distance between the bolts on the turbo inlet pipes, you should also be able to work it out because the Gen3 is slightly larger.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Mon, 10 October 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gen3 blocks also have a big '1G' down on passengers side, rear of the block, at the bottom. Near where the gearbox brace is.
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Mon, 10 October 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just about the injectors, not saying ur wrong, but the FAQ on this site says
"Version 1: Yellow ECU plugs and Yellow injectors. 0.50bar / 7psi.
version 2: Yellow ECU plugs and pale Green injectors. 0.62bar / 9psi
Version 3: Grey ECU plugs and pale Green injectors. 0.75bar / 11psi"
meaning that both gen 2/3 have the green injectors, is that just a misprint, will have a look for the 1g on the block.
Thanks guys.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Mon, 10 October 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gen2 is essentially a Gen1 with an air/air intercooler. My Gen2 has yellow injectors. If you stick a multimeter across the injectors, you'll find they are high impedence. The Gen3 didn't run a ballast resistor.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Visually... This is a gen 3

http://www.toymods.org.au/Darren/1ggte-2(13).jpg

Cheers,
Kirk
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's not going to help unfortunatley Kirk, my Gen2 looks like that.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression that gen 3 1g's had the oil filler towards the rear and that gen 2's were towards the front?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, Gen2's and Gen3's both have the filler at the back to clear the air/air intercooler piping. The Gen1 and 1GGE's have it at the front as they don't have the piping to contend with.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger... so visually everything is identical? I find that hard to believe.
japspec
Regular

May 2002
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry so much. Just toss that torque deficient lump in the bin and get a 1J instead. No offence.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not 100% visually the same. The injectors are a good start, the Gen3 ones will be green. The inlet pipes are also slightly larger on a Gen3, they are "fat" whereas the Gen2 ones are round. Aside from that, they look pretty much identical at a quick glance.

Oh, and Japspec, thank you for your infinite wisdom, you've contributed greatly to the conversation. Yeah, the 1G is horrible isn't it? Rolling Eyes
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that, yay mines a gen 3 then!, but with a front sump, need a mid-rear. Thanks for your help in id'ing the mighty beast.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Tue, 11 October 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it has a front sump, it's most likely from a GX81 Chaser/MarkII. As for your front sump, PM Stefan on the forums, he may be interested in a swap.
japspec
Regular

May 2002
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Wed, 12 October 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 11:37

Oh, and Japspec, thank you for your infinite wisdom, you've contributed greatly to the conversation. Yeah, the 1G is horrible isn't it? Rolling Eyes

Ok so I was a little harsh. I guess I am relating the performance to heavier vehicles. Within a small car the 1G engine is a cost effective solution. I have had two imported 1G GTE powered supra's however. They were tops don't get me wrong but the motor just lacked the torque the 1J supplies so easily.
Best of luck though
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Wed, 12 October 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you bought one and went
"i don't like this"
so u ent and bought another one just to make sure ?
Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Wed, 12 October 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
japspec wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 11:43

I have had two imported 1G GTE powered supra's however. They were tops don't get me wrong but the motor just lacked the torque the 1J supplies so easily.

Precisely the point, they are in the wrong application for a Mk3 Supra, stick them in a Mk2 Supra, and they go plenty fast Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Wed, 12 October 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

Nothing wrong with a 1g... just dont try use it in a barge!
dayzii
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Wed, 12 October 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either that or just wind up the boost a plenty Very Happy
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: gen 2 or 3 1g-gte (green injectors) no ECU Wed, 12 October 2005 10:07 Go to previous message
or i guess you could use 2 of them...
so anyway summing this up if someone could, the "articles" on this site need a defintate update (who edits them?)

* Only a Gen 3 will have a "1G" cast on the rear pass side of the block
* Gen 1 'gte has the oil filter at the front of the block, because of the space created by not having air-air cooler pipes. The 1g-ge too for the same reason.
* All gen 1's are W2A cooler, all gen 2/3 are Air air cooler.
* Gen 1's have yellow injectors
* Gen 2's have green or yellow injectors (low impedance/ballast)
* Gen 3's have green injectors, high impedance with NO ballast resistor
* Gen 3's intake piping differs from gen 2's as the pipes are slightly fatter and not round

feel free to amend/modify etc! Thanks!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cool write up on custom coilovers
Next Topic:SC14 - GZE - Sprinter conversion Problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:44:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053548812866211 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.