Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Radiators: alloy vs Brass

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Sun, 09 October 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.strengthenedhippo.com/picture_library/photoshops/album/thumbs/tuneitordie.jpg

Check the actual water temp. When I put the 5mge into the crown the gauge sat just below the red but was normal at the water. Top of red = hot. Have you used the original SA63 sender to compare instead of the ford POS? May have a different resistance property.
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Sun, 09 October 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a ford temp sender is different to toyota
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Sun, 09 October 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha is what i wrote invisible!no need for me to retype it,lmao its been repeated already Laughing .
mick
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im using an ra65 sender. surely they would be the same.

but anyway, whether or not its conclusive or not, i drove it about 10km to get tuned this morning and it didnt even get to 1/2. it was only about 20 degrees but still. It needs a new carby unforuntately, the 750 vac sec is starving it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why didn't you go EFI???

carbies are.... well....
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one day...when i can afford to go efi i most definetly will Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
surely you could pick up a TPI manifold form the states cheap.. then get a holley HP pump, and a megasquirt... cheap as chups Razz
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 14:19

It needs a new carby unforuntately, the 750 vac sec is starving it.

Whats the theory behind this?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just put a double pumper 650 on it and it made a fuckload of difference. its now timed and running well. Goes like a shower of shit! i think i almost fucked my tyres actually.

im thinking i might need to make some bonnet vents, as the car was fine whilst driving around town tonite, but when i pulled up at the lights, it went to about 65% of the gauge. Me being a paranoid idiot pulled over and left it for an hour (it was 2km from home) came back after dinner an managed to get it home alright. i do think it would've got home ok, but i didnt really want to risk anything.

Im presuming it is going to be a problem with heat off my extractors? feeling the bonnet when the car pulls up is bloody hot.

any other suggestions?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i also forgot to mention it turns out i was using the wrong spark plugs (i was given them from the extractor place)
but that shouldnt have anythign to do with heat?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes - plugs will affect tune and burn temps. Why did you let a zorst place choose plugs for you?

Suggest you take them out and compare them to the pictures you find in any Aus-printed car manual - they have pictures of plugs showing rich, lean, detonation etc...

The huge surface area of the uber-extractors will radiate heat - along with the massive radiator pumping lots of heat into the engine bay. all that air has to either go under the car or thru the bonnet.

i would suggest you re-install the plastic undertray so you get more airflow thru to under the car - bonnet vents will make driving unpleasant as you'll get the heat and fumes coming into the car.

My supra ran warming (e.g. above the midway mark on the digital dash) when understrain or air-con on and stuck in traffic. you should be concerned if it rises when you are travelling at speed - it's normal for the engine bay to get hotter when you stop at lights.

things to watch for is inability to hold temps down on the freeway (radiator blocked internally) or temps always rising when engine idling but falls back when engine revving (pump shagged).

dont forget that a normal toyota engine coolant temp is around the 80-85 degree mark - i suggest you find a ford manual (or the engine builder as you;re runnign higher compression) and see what coolant temps the engien normally run at.

also - you should be runing PULP (e.g. BP ultimate, etc) for the higher compression.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the plugs were just given to me with the extractors to plug the holes in the head whilst they were being made. So i just used them. when i pulled them out the 1st time they werew just black. (normal) but i Will change em asap to the right ones.

I run the car on optimax also.

im thinking either some venting or some ducting is in order.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
black is not normal.. black is too rich Razz

what temp plugs are you using/planning to use? (ie NGK scale)
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Mon, 10 October 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man I feel like i'm reading the Q/A's of Hot4's or some such shit Confused
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 11 October 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 16:19

im using an ra65 sender. surely they would be the same.

but anyway, whether or not its conclusive or not, i drove it about 10km to get tuned this morning and it didnt even get to 1/2. it was only about 20 degrees but still. It needs a new carby unforuntately, the 750 vac sec is starving it.

unless its for straight drag racing a 650vac is all it will need.much better on the street.on a 600-620hp $60k race motor we use 850dp.for a reasonable streeter 650vac is better down low.
mick
p.s becarful going to big with carb as it will dissapoint and foul plugs.carby sizing is pretty easy now days.lol

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 11 October 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 08:43

Man I feel like i'm reading the Q/A's of Hot4's or some such shit Confused

couldnt have said it better... Laughing

keep up the top work blake!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 11 October 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its going well and has loads of squirt. I think i am going to have to scrap the celica dash and make a custom one up of proper celcius temp gauges, tacho etc etc.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 11 October 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How's the engineers going?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 11 October 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't mention the war!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 11 October 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 22:11

Don't mention the war!

or the weather Confused
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 11 October 2005 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My apologies, I'm genuinely interested. Is something the matter?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Wed, 12 October 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engineering is going fine, i have someone in north brisbane who is doing it all for me.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really? That's great, how are you planning to register the previously fuel injected MA61 with a carburettor, and an engine which predates the chassis?

This is relevant to my next project. Would be interested to contact your engineer. PM me if you prefer.

Cheers,
Michael
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keihin LPG injectors Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
September_Squall wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 10:43

Really? That's great, how are you planning to register the previously fuel injected MA61 with a carburettor, and an engine which predates the chassis?

***FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

/sticks head in sand
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engine is actually post chassis. the block is out of a 198* f150 truck.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 13:37

September_Squall wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 10:43

***FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

/sticks head in sand

gee ed, i thought you would have had an intelligent answer by now to fix all my problems??
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTFBBQ? *confused*
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engine block is out of a 1980 something f100, 150, 0r 200 ford truck (i dont know exactly which one) these had 302 windsors. I just put a/m heads etc on it.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 15:56

gee ed, i thought you would have had an intelligent answer by now to fix all my problems??

nope, gave that up ages ago...
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi everyone, I just bought a corona st141 radiator and mounted it into my ae86 but the radiator is so tall, I can't really close the bonnet properly, anyone know if they are made out of brass or what metal? and also my mate has got a small welder, you know the one just small like a school bag size? just the cheapest one you see on the market, am I able to use it to do welding on this radiator? as I'm thinking to chop the radiator cap bit and weld it on the side via a little piece if steel pipe in order to clear the bonnet. Very Happy hey don't laugh at me I know this is doggy but the radiator is so thick that I can't resist.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gwaijaitat wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 18:38

Hi everyone, I just bought a corona st141 radiator and mounted it into my ae86 but the radiator is so tall, I can't really close the bonnet properly, anyone know if they are made out of brass or what metal? and also my mate has got a small welder, you know the one just small like a school bag size? just the cheapest one you see on the market, am I able to use it to do welding on this radiator? as I'm thinking to chop the radiator cap bit and weld it on the side via a little piece if steel pipe in order to clear the bonnet. Very Happy hey don't laugh at me I know this is doggy but the radiator is so thick that I can't resist.

your local radiator place should do it for $20
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you serious? that cheap? I'll give it a go tomorrow then Evil or Very Mad
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the radiator shop to put a VN V8 filler neck on for u.It should be about $20.

How much clearance do u have on the bottom to the chassis?

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 12:20]

Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Thu, 13 October 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zero at the moment.. haha
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Fri, 14 October 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i fixed my problem! And worked out why my heater blew up...

there is two outlets on the water pump....i thought one was the feed and the other the return for the heater. WRONG!

so whilst i had these hooked up to my heater in/ out obviously my heater pressurized and shat itself.

So after that i proceeded to put a hose linking those two outlets together. happy days, no leaks. But running hot..because that was creating an air lock in the water pump causing it to run to about 50% of its potential!!

now there is a hose outlet in the thermostat housing, i had this blocked off from day one. Of course its for cooling the intake and heads! DOH!

So i this afternoon i blocked off the bottom outlet (useless now my heater is leaking) and hooked up the top outlet to the thermostat housing outlet.

started her up...let it go right up to where the fans come on at 85"c (bees dick over half) fans came on, stayed on for a minute or so...then turned off! Surprised (they always just stayed on non-stop)so i let this happen 3 times, then turned it off. I left the accessories on, in case it got heat creap so the fans could come on. They didnt come on!

So i went and felt the radiator and hoses - fuckloads hotter than before! so obviously now the water pump is working properly and getting all of the heat out of the motor!

Happy days! (hopefully thats it solved)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Fri, 14 October 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so after all this... you just forgot to put it back together correctly?

do you have a manual for the engine??

oh, and sicne F150's are imports.. were they ever actually complied to australian smog standards?
in the US they are exempt to a large degree as an SUV, but in Aus, are the classed as a 4WD?

LOL, engineered and legal are two different things Razz.. engineering doesn't stand up in court if it is illegal (just like any contract or certification Wink )
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Wed, 19 October 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was obviously the bypass hose you forgot. For getting hot water to your heater before the engine is at operating temperature Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Wed, 19 October 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh it was meaning the water pump wasnt working well and the heads werent getting anywhere near the cooling they should've.

I gave it a caining around the streets yesterday and it seemed fine, and wasnt running hot at all either. touch wood it stays this way!

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Wed, 19 October 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does this mean youll put the thermostat back in?????????????
Gwaijaitat
Regular

April 2005
Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Tue, 25 October 2005 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cressida_1jz wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 22:11

Get the radiator shop to put a VN V8 filler neck on for u.It should be about $20.

How much clearance do u have on the bottom to the chassis?

I called around yesterday, they want $100 at least, I think I'd better go get some other radiator from wrecker for 50 bucks Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 16:50]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Radiators: alloy vs Brass Wed, 26 October 2005 07:02 Go to previous message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 19:47

so does this mean youll put the thermostat back in?????????????

when i get the time

The diff is causing me woes at the moment Sad I need a 3.4 ratio
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my car destroyed the cat...again
Next Topic:85 celica, conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 02:26:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082910060882568 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.