Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wombat
Regular

July 2003
3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Sun, 09 October 2005 11:13 Go to next message
Hey People
i found a TOSCO manual on the net on how to turn a 3k into a race engine. Tosco is what TRD used to be called in the late 60's early 70's.

just wondering if anyone had seen this before, and if you have then do you know anyone that has done all the stage 3 mods?

If you have no idea what I'm on about the I can give an over view of it.

Basicly it is a manual on how to turn a standard 3k into a race version of a 3k while maintaining the same general apperance of the engine.

here is my overview of things that need to be done. basicly I read the manual and these are the things that need to be change. now there are a bit bare compared to actually reading it cos I just made notes for me. anyway here it is

Cylinder Head
Intake and exhaust port enlarged.
Machined valve spring seats
inserted Valve seat rings and valve guides
Combustion Chamber machining
Cylinder Head surface Grinding

Cylinder Block
Increase Cylinder Bore from 75mm to 79mm (1293cc)
Surface Grinding
Chamfering the Cylinder skirt (2-3 degrees)
Change bolts securing the oil filter and the alrenator braket (Threaded to M10 P -1.25)

Piston & Piston Rings
Piston shape revised to a flat head
Compression ring 1mm thick
Oil ring is a three piece 2.5mm piece
Piston Pin from 18mm to 20mm
Pistons must be same weight (max difference 2 grams)
Chamfering Ring ends to prevent scratching of cylinder bore

Connecting Rod, Crankshaft & Flywheel
Rods of different material
Small end has less bushing
Crank is balanced, and has oil clearance
Flywheel lightend and balanced
Balance Crank and Flywheel together (unbalaned volume max of 2g-cm)

Valve Mechanism
Camshaft, Cam profile and valve timing changed
Valves changed shape and dimension
Valves changed to double valve springs
Spring retainer change for double valve springs
Valve stem pad installed
Replace rocker arm spring with spacer
Push-rod different material
Valve Lifter machined to lighten
Timing gear with 7 dowel pin holes

Lubrication System
Oil pump Modified
Sump Shape Changed
Oil Strainer Shape changed
Oil Cooling system Cmashaft driven
Oil pump has Shim inserted to increase pressure

Intake & Exhaust Systems
Intake manifold ports enlarge to match cylindr head
Intake Manifold suited for twin side draght carbies
Exhaust extractors 4-2-1 type
Metal plate between head and carbies due to seperation of exhaust and intake manifolds

Fuel System
Carburetor changed to twin side draughts
Fuel pump change to electric fuel pump.

Accelerator Linkage
Changed to suit different carbies

Ingition System Components & Cooling System
Distributor Advancing device change to stationary type
Alternator pully made to a larger diameter
Cooling system has a larger radiator

Engine mounts, Transmission Housing & support
Engine mounts changed to have engine sit Upright
Change bellhousing to suit upright position

Anyway let me know what you all think.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Sun, 09 October 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mean the one thats been on my site for X number of years? Wink

or the huge PDF of it from Finland?
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Sun, 09 October 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now try finding the parts on ebay.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Sun, 09 October 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wombat wrote on Sun, 09 October 2005 21:13

just wondering if anyone had seen this before, and if you have then do you know anyone that has done all the stage 3 mods?

Yep, me.

They go okay, but aren;t very reliable and need to have a minor rebuild every three hours of running. There's no power below about 6000rpm and they run to nearly 9000rpm.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Sun, 09 October 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that said tho, you can adapt some of the mods for lower revving motors and make them a bit better... just don't go wild on cam chice Razz...
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Mon, 10 October 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah sorry old corollas, I forgot where I found it.

so you guys think it's good, but maybe not go all out on what they say to do, so then I'll get some more reliability?

So suggestions on which parts I should and shouldn't do would be good.

I'm only asking cos I've never work on a K motor before so unsure what limitations I should follow as far as that goes. now 2tg's I know back to front.

Or should I just stick with the stage 2 stuff
which is

Piston & Piston Rings
a. Piston
The oversize is 3mm (78mm dia) with the displacement of 1,261 cc.
b. Piston rings
Two compression rings with the thickness of 1mm are utilized.
The oil ring is of three-piece type with the thickness of 2.5mm.

Valve Mechanism
a. Camshaft
The revise the valve timing, the cam profiles are revised.
b. Valves
To improve the intake and exhaust efficiency, the head diameters of the intake and exhaust valves have been enlarged.
c. Valve springs.
To prevent surging, revised from single to dual springs and the installed load is revised.
d. Valve spring retainer & spring seat.
Due to the revision of the valve springs from single to dual, the retainer and seat are newly established.

Intake & Exhaust System
a. Intake manifold.
Matched with the carburettor throttle bore, enlarged the ports to reduce the intake resistance.
b. Exhaust manifold
Revised the shape to improve the exhaust efficiency.

Fuel System & Accelerator Linkages
a. Carburetor.
Revised the throttle bore to match the specification for high speed driving.
b. Accelerator linkage.
Due to the revision of the carburettor, the shape of the linkage is revised.

So what do you guys think?
Also where should I chase parts?
Oh and one thing Stage 2 doesn't say is revised thinkness of Cylinder Head Gasket. so should I say that I do all stage 1 and stage 2?
And Bill considering you have done this do you have any pics of the finshed engine you could show me?

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2005 00:55]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Mon, 10 October 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

well, are you building a race motor? or a street motor?

basically it comes down to where you want your power band and then you choose EVERYTHING else to suit..

where do you want power to start? 3000? 4000? 5000? 6000?
what do you want redline to be?

then we go from there Wink
i will try to distinguish between the race only and the street oriented mods... (but i don't know everything about them of course...)
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Mon, 10 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok well race or street isn't an issue cos it will be on club plates, so as far as restrictions go there is no issue.

Um power, I guess above 3,000 and a red line at say 7,000 would be good, but not know how a 3k can go it makes it hard for me to guess.

ok so look as far as I can forsee what I want out of this engine I guess it would be I want a borderline street and race engine, leaning more towards race engine. I will be using it for some sprint races at sandown, winton, calder. so obivously I need something with some performance obviously, but also some reliability. but overall it ain't ever gonna be a daily driver, mainly fast cruises, or the od sprint, so that low end isn't of major interest.

hopefully that can help to guide me in some direction.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Mon, 10 October 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, my street motor started coming on cam at around 3500-4000.. around 3500 with the EFI.

power peak is around 7-7500rpm and revs to 8000..... thats what i call a street motor Wink. it idles around 1000rpm with the EFI.

3000-7000 is a mild to warm motor. you'd want around 270 degcams (220-225@50thou), maybe about 400thou lift,

for those rpm, don't bother with the race pistons, or do much intake porting.... no need..

i'll have a look at the list later...

meanwhile, i've detailed my build a number of times, so have a look for those threads...

actually, have a look on the new forum in tech.

Cya, Stewart
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Mon, 10 October 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like the sound of your engine dude. that may be what I'm after.
Only thing is that I have no intetion of using efi. I'll be using twin side draught solex off a 2tg. cos I already got the carbs and manifold sitting here.

I'll have a search for stuff about your car in the tech section
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Tue, 11 October 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey oldcorollas can't seem to find the stuff on your engine with the search. Your engine sounds like what I want. from what you just said. so let me know where the topic is in the forum, or just what you've done.

ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Tue, 11 October 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the advantage of siting the engine upright? I've noticed the KE15 in the classic adelaide is set up like this too..
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Tue, 11 October 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malcolms car has the engine upright (as does the TOSCO spec) to make enough room to fit the intake manifold and side draught carbies, otherwise they will hit the inner guard.

as for exhaust, you have about a 30cm cube to fit it all in.... unless you tile it up.

also, tilting up increases rate of oil return to the sump from the head...
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Tue, 11 October 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen this tosco manual and also thought about the uprighting of the engine, how do you go about gearbox bellhousing modification? Has anyone on this site done this? As for hitting the strut tower, i can only run really thin filters on my dellortos otherwise i can run up to 20mm trumpets and thats it, with about 10mm breathing space.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Tue, 11 October 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tosco use a twisted BH for a T50. Malcolm just ran the K50 or T50 at an angle (as with the sump) and never had issues.

his intake runners are much longer than the usual twin carb versions, and there would not be enough space for just the carbies without tilting.

so all you really need to do is to mod the engine mounts.. and maybe mod the sump to allow the engine to sit lower at the new angle..
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Wed, 12 October 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah in the manual it says to mod a sump so that it can sit lower.
so you found that post about your car yet oldcorollas. I'm very interested in your engine from what you said.

hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Thu, 20 October 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
were can u get these types of manuals i want one. Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k Tosco (TRD) Manual Thu, 20 October 2005 02:30 Go to previous message
wombat wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 16:21

Yeah in the manual it says to mod a sump so that it can sit lower.
so you found that post about your car yet oldcorollas. I'm very interested in your engine from what you said.

sorry moighty, been a bit busy in japan atm... i have replied to many threads about K motors and given the specs.... if i have time next week, i will look, but in the meantime, try using google t search toymods for "4K bigport camtech" perhaps.

as for getting tosco manual, there is a pdf around to download.. something like 50 megs? or i had a pdf on my site. i'll see if i can locate it... next week...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGE to 3SGTE Conversion
Next Topic:gze power up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:44:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052790641784668 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.