Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
maiku
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Need more lock Tue, 11 October 2005 23:55 Go to next message
hey pplz
i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to get more steering lock out of my ra40. i thought of cutting out the steer stops on the suspension arm, but that might cause the hub to foul on something. iv got the mx62 power steering conversion in the pipeline and if I'm doing that than i might as well try to get sum more angle on the front wheels. also is there any easy way to increase caster.

would cressida arms bolt up to the ra40 cross member, and would i be able to bolt in the struts without drilling any holes up top

cheers
Michael

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 00:20]

Send a private message to this user    
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: Need more lock Wed, 12 October 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only 2 ways to get more lock.
Hubs with shorter steering arms, or a steering rack/box that moves further. Some cars have bump stops that limit the lock when the steering arm hits it.

Increasing the lock could cause the tyre to rub on the inside of the gaurd which could potentially be dangerous.
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: Need more lock Wed, 12 October 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 12:53

Only 2 ways to get more lock.
Hubs with shorter steering arms, or a steering rack/box that moves further. Some cars have bump stops that limit the lock when the steering arm hits it.

Increasing the lock could cause the tyre to rub on the inside of the gaurd which could potentially be dangerous.

Hey Myles, long time no see Razz
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Need more lock Wed, 12 October 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael

An obvious question (for me anyway). Why?

Changing steering arms and or hubs to gain an extra bit of lock changes the geometry of the existing steering. As long as the power steering option is done correctly these are the things to keep in mind.

Tyres and wheels rubbing the radius rod and the inner wheel well are two of my concerns if increasing the lock.

Caster is adjusted easily by the radius rod. Shorten it by using the existing threaded section to increase the caster. You'll know what I mean when looking at it. The more caster you have the heavier the steering becomes. Only really need to adjust enough to clear the rear of the wheel well and then you may need to cut the lower front corner of the guard.

Regards

Rodger
maiku
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Need more lock Thu, 13 October 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx guys this should put me on the right track for building a street drift car,
if ur wondering y ra40, well because not may ppl have done it, even fewer have done it with an sr20
also does anyone know weather the ra29 and ra40 strut tops are the same
cheers Michael
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: Need more lock Wed, 02 November 2005 05:47 Go to previous message
When i read "Need more lock" i knew you were a slider.. Im also chasing more lock in my RA60.. by running longer control arms, you get more camber, and depending on the shape of the arm, you can get more lock.. perfect example, sprinter with sigma control arms and RA40 rack ends.. you get so much more lock, you can hold the car so damn sideways. Just measure yours up, let me know how you go.. if you dont want camber, then i guess buy a spare set of RA40 arms n buzz down the steering stops..

Love the idea of the SR20, i was going to go down that path, but decided to go 1ggte, anthony callem is making a kit, so im probably just going to do that.. good luck with it!

Wes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-FE 2000cc 24v -For all related info on This Engine .
Next Topic:20v head?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:24:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057330131530762 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.