Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Chassis Stifness???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
icon5.gif  Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 09:58 Go to next message
Besides extending the chassis rails of a vehicle and using a roll cage and strut braces, are there any other methods i can use to stiffen up my ride?
(MA61)
Cheers.....
  Send a private message to this user  
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to what level?national car racing level,lap dashes?a roll cage that connects all the towers and is triangulated properly will give you all the stiffness needed.i take it your not using racing shocks? if not your wasting your time getting it to a very rigid level.a proper cage will have around 35 meters of tube in it.
mick
p.s you can two part foam fill it.but dont bend it as you will have trouble fixing it after its filled
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
street use/drift and track
i want to keep it as neat as possible without giving the impression that it moves..... (Rather no cage at all)
coilovers will be implemented, but they will be a custom job...
will be used mainly for drift.... Very Happy
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont rely need stiffness for drifting more a horsepower thing.stiffnes is for corner handling etc which you dont get when your sideways!lol just use stiff shocks as opposed to soft for racing.
mick
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the other thing, i plan of havin lots of hp.
with that in mind im thinking how the entegrety of the vehicle will hold.
it is old, sorta wanna be careful i spose. Ive had chassis twist on me before and it shits me (with cages) Embarassed
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I disagree with Mick, chassis rigidity is still very important for drift. There's no point having hard suspension if the rest of your car is going to twist around it like a wet tissue. And drift really isn't just a horsepower thing.

However on the original topic of how to stiffen your car up discretely I'm afraid I am no fountain of knowledge, though it seems strut braces, cage or seam welding are the preferred methods.

Hen
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sway bars made a big difference for me, You can get under chasis bracing, here are some examples:

For rear of Altezza (Cusco)
http://bag11pr000.auc.bbt.yahoo.co.jp/users/6/5/5/1/fit200388-imgbatch_1128415167/600x412-2005052000007-25.jpg
For the front (beatrush)
http://img33.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/8/1/5/9/heart_and_heart029-img570x400-1038289159s81510fpb.jpg
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree
i want a balanced chassis but with decent mounts of hp for fun Very Happy
seam welding sounds a lil expensive
underbody struts can be fabricated though??
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
be like a drag racer wanting good turn in wouldn't it?i cant see the point in wasting money on stiffness in a drifter when it isn't used.your not applying the same forces to the chassis you are to a race car.grip equals twist,slip it wont twist much at all.like with improved production racing,if you dont have the money to spent on the setup and or new race tyres all the time etc using rubber bushes instead of nothelan etc can bring down the lap times.the flex in the bushes actual keeps the tyre on the deck giving more grip.in a race car you want to try and get the slip out of the car in drift you want it.because of the much lower speeds in drift front end grip is always there unless geometry is up the shit.
mick
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Notice the white bars. This can help a bit on stiffness

http://www.garageracing.com/events/0064/race/P8270123.jpg
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt help him!lmao

those bars will do bugger all for stiffness,unles it was welded to the rail as the tube will flex all over the place.a cage or half cage would work much much better.
mick
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 07:50

because of the much lower speeds in drift front end grip is always there unless geometry is up the shit.
mick

Man you kinda ruled your own statement out in that last sentence. With front end grip and no grip at the back, the entire chassis is weighting out on one outside wheel... Especially when negative camber is concerned... Meaning that during a drift you are getting more chassis twist than you would in most racing situations... Get yourself a front and rear brace I say...

Kev.
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/assassin10000/UeoStyle-LFGacchiri.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/assassin10000/82887c8f.jpg

installers comments: http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&a mp;TOPIC_ID=111862
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Wed, 12 October 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.aeu86.org/forum/files/bscap0106.jpg

http://www.aeu86.org/forum/files/01_ae86_00-52-34_00.jpg

http://www.aeu86.org/forum/files/thumbs/t_cmrear1.jpg

http://www.aeu86.org/forum/files/thumbs/t_espoirsp2002-img600x450-1110264785100-0044_img.jpg

http://www.aeu86.org/forum/files/thumbs/t_you86-005.jpg

http://www.aeu86.org/forum/files/thumbs/t_skengineeringtk-img520x600-1085017243bnr32---1.jpg
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 08:33

kingmick wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 07:50

because of the much lower speeds in drift front end grip is always there unless geometry is up the shit.
mick

Man you kinda ruled your own statement out in that last sentence. With front end grip and no grip at the back, the entire chassis is weighting out on one outside wheel... Especially when negative camber is concerned... Meaning that during a drift you are getting more chassis twist than you would in most racing situations... Get yourself a front and rear brace I say...

Kev.

lol no i didnt!if one end is gripping and the other isnt there is much less twist.if both ends grip you will get twist.a drift car will get far far less twist than a race car.same as you have less chance of breaking a diff in drifting as the slip takes stress of were as grip puts stress loading on the diff.this is why rolling starts are coming into fashion in circuit racing.i hate rolling starts,alot in a standing start but it does break things alot more.
mick
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 13872

Interesting at least...
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevtrev wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 11:39

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 13872

Interesting at least...

U think i may be able to implement these chassis bracings onto a MA61 Supra (with a lil fabrication)?
Are they effective?
Are they expensive?
Cheerz....
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dorio86 wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 08:35

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/assassin10000/UeoStyle-LFGacchiri.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/assassin10000/82887c8f.jpg

installers comments: http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&a mp;a mp;TOPIC_ID=111862

OMG, that is so feckin stupid..

did you even look at the pictures before you posted??

those flat bars will twist and flex and not contribute anything...

and bracing the boot?? what? to hold the shopping better??

gimme a break....
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about rivets, stewart? Razz

http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/bubbles1.jpg
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thers not one brace posted above, nor provided in that link, that will do a single fricken thing (power steering triangulated support is excepted)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ahh dude... they should have rivetted the flat steel bars in Razz... "D1 READY" Very Happy
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone is silly enought to purchase any of the above products shown on that Sprinter then you may be interested in purchasing my anti-abduction napkin set. These napkins will ward off all alien abductions, money back guarantee Wink

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me thinks a lot of people install this stuff/shit then suffer the placebo effect and think its improved it.
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything else??????
what can i do to stiffen chassis without using roll cage?
Confused
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey those front frender braces could stop my fenders from caving in near the doors!
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh goody Razz here we go again Rolling Eyes
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is what he had to say

"It feels really really neutral/stable going around corners, I get much much more feel for how the tires are gripping and the car's movement. I can also feel all the suspension sway in how the car corners and definately need to upgrade sway bars - I didn't realize before how much sway my car had due to the large amount of body roll the ae86's unibody chassis has.

But, since I am now readjusting to how the car reacts with the additional stiffness I couldn't even maintain the same control in a 'drift-nut' that I did before.

It has a lot more grip and wants to push (after a slight mistake) a lot easier than before. I played around with shock settings and have gotten to what feels like a good comprimise in how the vehicle handles - but what I really need is seat time, and maybe 15-20 more HP.

Also I'm moving down from 195 to 185's in the rear which should help, both with the fact that the tire diamater drops a little (effectively lowering my gear ratio) and providing a slightly smaller contact patch which will again change how the car reacts/feels."

The best would be a cage welded to your suspension points, but if you want to keep the back seats and everything looking stock this is what you should look for.

And dont listen to these guys comments, they dont no I'm have been a rally driver for 10 years.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DriftX wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 14:28

anything else??????
what can i do to stiffen chassis without using roll cage?
Confused

Sway bars, any bracing that is triangular or circular in shape may help as well, they are far stronger than flat or rectangular shaped bars.
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome!!!
appreciate the help every1.... Smile
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Sway bars, any bracing that is triangular or circular in shape may help as well, they are far stronger than flat or rectangular shaped bars.

Bwahahaha all you did was paraphrase what kingmick had previously written and used it in the wrong context Laughing

Quote:

a roll cage that connects all the towers and is triangulated properly will give you all the stiffness needed

mick meant a triangular structure not triangular tubing you numb nut Rona Laughing

Quote:

And dont listen to these guys comments, they dont no I'm have been a rally driver for 10 years.

Some kents play golf for 40 years and never get any good at it or know SFA so you comment means nothing Very Happy

I do not claim to know shit but I like to think I have some common sense. Some of the people though who you have told this guy not to pay attention to actually do have experience and knowledge and so far have made more sense than those retarded pics that have been posted.

In the end it's your own money to spend as you please Wink
DriftX
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like i said, i appreciate every1's comments on this topic
im trying to get good ideas of what to do
cheers...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The shape of the tubing is also gonna help and also in the terms of a strut brace it doesn't have a shape dickhead, the tubing does and this is what i was reffering too. Stop being a fuckwit and grow up.
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=ke382TG wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 14:50]
Quote:

Bwahahaha all you did was paraphrase what kingmick had previously written and used it in the wrong context Laughing

Quote:

I do not claim to know shit but I like to think I have some common sense.

You wouldn't no what common sense is even if it slap you on the back of your head. The ignorance Laughing
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The shape of the tubing is also gonna help and also in the terms of a strut brace it doesn't have a shape dickhead, the tubing does and this is what i was reffering too. Stop being a fuckwit and grow up.

Rona, have a look at the GOOD strut braces and they are a triangular structure. Strut tower to strut tower to firewall Wink

Of course tubing shape, diameter, quality makes a difference to the structural integrity but in you comment you were clearly confused and are now trying to cover yourself Smile

Triangular tubing? Show me a car that is using triangular tubing in a non-gimmick use and I will be damn impressed.

Quote:

You wouldn't no what common sense is even if it slap you on the back of your head. The ignorance Laughing

Yeah you're probably right Laughing I would love a few engineers to cast an eye over this thread and just laugh themselves silly Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I was perfectly clear in what I was saying and if you look at a rear strut brace on something like an AE86 for example (we are talking aftermarket here obviously) it just joing the struts together.

They're was a for sale thread recently with these new fandangled rectangular bars said to be stronger than round bars (cough bullshit cough). And yes in term of front strut braces they are also mounted to the fire wall to create a rectangular shape.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rona Rona Rona, this is not something you can often read about in Motor magazine or the like Wink

Quote:

Actually I was perfectly clear in what I was saying and if you look at a rear strut brace on something like an AE86 for example (we are talking aftermarket here obviously) it just joing the struts together.

A standard AE86 doesn't have rear STRUTS it has a live axle with captive springs and separate shock absorbers. The top mounting point for the shocks is where this brace is mounted Wink Sorry to get all detailed and picky on you but that's what you specialise in so you can cop a bit back Laughing

Quote:

And yes in term of front strut braces they are also mounted to the fire wall to create a rectangular shape.

Triangular Wink
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please tell me the new forums will put an end to this ^^^

KE38: I was enjoying Auto-ignoring Rona, until you came along and kept quoting him. Then I had to read that crap to see what the hell you were talking about.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

KE38: I was enjoying Auto-ignoring Rona, until you came along and kept quoting him. Then I had to read that crap to see what the hell you were talking about.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Chassis Stifness??? Thu, 13 October 2005 05:35 Go to previous message
Shit, grow up the both of you.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:A350E/5 speed auto in 1JZ Cressida?
Next Topic:were to search for gearbox conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 23:51:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077331066131592 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.