Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Mod my Corolla or Upgrade?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Wed, 12 October 2005 00:38 Go to next message
Ok heres the story, I own a 97 Toyota AE102 Corolla, and it has just clocked over 210,000kms. Now I'm trying to work out whether its work modding my car (any more, have done stereo, 15" mags, and some painting on interior) with a turbo/supercharger. I could also do an engine swap for a lower km engine (no problems with mine just lower k's would be good) Or if I should upgrade to a newer lower km car.

If I upgrade these are a few of the options I have thought of:
- Celica ZR (Current shape with the 2ZZGE)
- Camry Sportivo (Current shape with TRD Supercharger Kit)
- Corolla Sportivo (Current shape with 2ZZGE)
- Soarer (Manual, Twin Turbo)

Out of those I like the each one for different reasons.
I like the celica for its sporty looks and reasonsable performance, the camry sportivo for its space, but dislike that lack of power, the corolla sportivo for its hot hatch looks and reasonable power and reasonable price, and the soarer for its power, and luxury Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Wed, 12 October 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IMO, unless you're going to do a turbo/sc conversion, i'd go with the soarer Very Happy

best of both worlds Wink
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Wed, 12 October 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is your option for the Camry, a V6 version?

We own what I can claim as the last ever built manual MCV20R. We had it kitted with a GTP/Sportivo colour coded kit, the 17" Sportivo rims and had it factory lowered. Personally the latest Camry does not look as good with a kit on it. Toyota should take a look at the Mazda 6 for a body shape clue as the Camry's rear quaters a very flat and droopy looking.

Our V6 runs very well and sounds great with a better exhaust, is still quiet inside and handles extremely well.

I have also contemplated and asked about an aftermarket supercharger kit for the V6 but to no-avail as yet. I beleive TRD might make one and hence my initial question about what Camry with which motor.

We took the latest Corolla top spec model for a test drive before deciding on the Camry. First impression and the thing I said to the dealer when out on the road, "Gee this thing sounds tinny". The dealer assured me it had a lot of sound deadening, but I would hate to hear it without it.

When the dealer explained about the you-beaut TVIS stuff whilst he drove, I watch his foot push harder on the firewall around about when the system was to kick in. Made me think "what a crock". When I drove it the engine response was no better than a tired 2T in a Celica.

The latest Celica in my opinion is much the same as the Corolla, underpowered and tinny sounding but for both the Corolla and Celica any form of engine power up would be well worth while.

How about a Lexus ES200 or 300? A new one for us was our "dream" car, the Camry is our close second and we are more than happy with it.

Regards

Rodger
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Wed, 12 October 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wish toyota made tehse

coupes were abvailable in the gen 3 camry... Sad

http://iow.free.fr/rims11.jpg
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Wed, 12 October 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that is the best late model something Camry I have seen yet.

I agree if we had the two door here I'd look twice.

It must be the lowering, the wheels that fill the guards and the fact there is a slight flare of the rear guard that makes it look much better. The rear quater does not look overly high compared to regular everyday Camrys of the current local model.
Darola
Regular

May 2002
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Fri, 14 October 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there, is that camry coupe from the US???? they look like californa plates,
if so then why shouldnt we get them, we make the camry in australia and ship to the US.

Eddie
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Fri, 14 October 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's like the Camry's answer to the monaro! Looks not bad actually.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Sat, 15 October 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darola wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 16:57

Hey there, is that camry coupe from the US???? they look like californa plates,
if so then why shouldnt we get them, we make the camry in australia and ship to the US.

Eddie

It's photoshopped Eddie...
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Mon, 17 October 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think it might be a photoshop effort, is a slight discrepancy on the side striping, and some inconsistencies on the shading and light reflection......
who cares it looks hot!

you guys do know that toyota has been building coupe camrys, complete with v6 motor, for years, as far as i know right back to the 93 model(wider, coooler, smoother looking). just jump on to the cardomain website, type camry, and go nuts..
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Mod my Corolla or Upgrade? Mon, 17 October 2005 13:18 Go to previous message
yes its a photochop, i did that one ages ago Very Happy

awd from 89-96 and 2 door from 92-96 were avaiable i think it was.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:half cuts in perth
Next Topic:Beaten by an Excel - not happy!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 15:08:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00459885597229 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.