Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 13:39 Go to next message
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how immobolisers work? Is a 3 point immobiliser much worse than a 6 pt immobiliser? The minimum for insurance is a 2 pt immobiliser. Thanks.

Cheers,

Jon

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2005 13:43]

Send a private message to this user    
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from my understanding the number of points is the number of functions that the immobilisers disables.

I.e., my car has a 2pt immobiliser that disables the fuel pump and starter motor.

I have no idea what a six point would do though.
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Big Rob. If that is the case, how do cars fitted with immobilisers still get stolen? Alot of STIs get stolen and they are all fitted with immobilisers.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably only 1 point immobiliser and thats only at the starter motor. All you need to do is apply 12v to the starter and bob's your uncle. If your fuel system is also immobilised (such as in my case), it gets a more complicated.
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking of installing either a 2 or 3 point immobiliser. How much should I be paying for one? I got a quote for an alarm and immobiliser installed for $550 from TGS Performance Team (Japanese Vehicle Compliance Centre, Melbourne). Any better recommendations as to where I should get this done? Thanks.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silkishuge wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 05:10

Alot of STIs get stolen and they are all fitted with immobilisers.
Since when do a lot of STi's get stolen? Confused
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heard it from the person I spoke to from the insurance company that they are one of the hot cars, car thiefs look out for.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 09:34

silkishuge wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 05:10

Alot of STIs get stolen and they are all fitted with immobilisers.
Since when do a lot of STi's get stolen? Confused

Indeed the only Rex's i have known to be stolen since they introduced the Brant car alarms we're ones that were stolen on the docks befor they were fitted.

The Brant alarms are very good, bit annoying to use with the keycode but its the price you pay for security i guess. Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 07:39

The Brant alarms are very good, bit annoying to use with the keycode but its the price you pay for security i guess. Smile

The keycode isn't as annoying as the hijack feature..."but I only wanted to get the mail..."
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Immobilisers Wed, 12 October 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha yeah my uncle took us for a run in his, got out changed drivers i got back in fast enough, but when my brother got in the drivers seat he was too slow, so had to enter the code again.

But meh its like all the new toyotas that if you don't get in the car within like 30-60 secs of unlocking them they lock on you again. So you unlock it, someone yells out start yacking away, then you have to unlock the car again. Not a huge effort but gets annoying.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silkishuge wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 23:39

Hello,

The minimum for insurance is a 2 pt immobiliser. Thanks.

i just love how they will only insure u against theft once they know ur car is impossible to steal (short of a carjacking or somebody literally tieing you up and lifting ur car onto the back of a truck with alarms sequeeling ect)
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i just love how they will only insure u against theft once they know ur car is impossible to steal (short of a carjacking or somebody literally tieing you up and lifting ur car onto the back of a truck with alarms sequeeling ect)

So it is quite impossible to steal a car with an immobiliser installed?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silkishuge wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 10:12

Quote:

No, it depends on the alarm/immobiliser system used and if all alse fails the organised guys just drag the car on to a table top and drive off.

If you want a serious alarm/immobiliser system look at the Brant ones, they have a decent range and the system similar to that in a WRX retails for 700 dollars installed. They're main outlet/HQ is in NSW they may have dealers in other states.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silkishuge wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 10:12

Quote:

i dunno one would imagine so, im not all up to speed with car theft techniques and the likes, but i dont see ppl going to that much trouble to steel a car for a joyride or whatever.
ive never ever heard of a car that had an immobiliser being stolen, but then i havnt really heard of that many cars being stolen anyway. i shouldntve said anything as i dont know much on the subject lol

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 00:18]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 10:16

i dunno one would imagine so, im not all up to speed with car theft techniques and the likes, but i dont see ppl going to that much trouble to steel a car for a joyride or whatever.
ive never ever heard of a car that had an immobiliser being stolen, but then i havnt really heard of that many cars being stolen anyway. i shouldntve said anything as i dont know much on the subject lol

A 2001 HSV Senator was stolen at a recent drift meet and thrashed and crashed into a fence they come from the factory with immobilisers and a pretty good security system.

No matter what you have there are always ways to get around it but to a common thief its a good deterrent, there ain't much that will stop a pro, except for the systems used in south africa ie 200,000 volt shocks, and flame throwers mounted underneath the sills to stop car jackings.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could it be possible that the security systems ie.immobiliser and such were turned off...i dunno that sounds like a couple of kids just jumped in it and took off..and i mean holden have never been big on security...there were years and years of commonwhores that could be opened and started with anything that even resembeled a key of any discription...i think a shaved down paddle pop stick would have even worked, my cousins owned many of the things.

im probably wrong, i just cant see ppl fighting security systems and such to take a car for a joy ride...esp a commodore of all things.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or capsicum spray out of the air vents.

i heard that most factory immbilisers will only work for a period of time(lets say 45 min). so u open the car, goto hot wire it and it wont start; go get a coffee, read the paper, come back in 45 min and try again and it will start.

i think its incase the chip in you key gets damaged, and you are stranded in the middle of nowhere.
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

No matter what you have there are always ways to get around it but to a common thief its a good deterrent, there ain't much that will stop a pro, except for the systems used in south africa ie 200,000 volt shocks, and flame throwers mounted underneath the sills to stop car jackings.

Thats crazy. But I guess they live in different environment. That would never get complianced in Australia.

Immobilisers have a time limit? Never knew that. I wonder why that is the case.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem with most facotry immob systems that since *every* commodore has one that your average gregorys manual can pretty much tell you how to get around them.. at least the older commodorem ones were like that.. the aftermarket ones since every insall is slightly mdifferent and the theif dosent know what alarm you ahve (hopefully) so then obscurity makes it that shade harder to get around..

yes cars with immob's can get stolen... get nicked, they set stripped or as said above.. they get dragged onto the back of a flat back and towed up the street screaming their tits off.

ive got brant alarms in both of our cars, the keypad is an effort but certainly worth it... the brank alarm in the red mr2 has saved it from being stolen. .. someone had a got at it,. even tried to cut the alarm out but couldnt do it and gave up.

a good alarm/immob is worth every penny.
silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats great. Had alarms in all my previous cars but never had to use it. I hate it when alarms go off when they are not suppose to.

Toof, How much did it cost to install your Brant alarms?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about $700 to your door installed.

money well spent.

edit:

running out to the shed with a crow bar in hand every once in a while casue a strong wind etc etc has set off your alarm is more then worth it for having the car still there in the morning.

alarms = smart

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 04:52]

silkishuge
Regular

July 2005
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agree Very Happy
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Immobilisers Thu, 13 October 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll find most cars that get stolen are usully older or very stolen. I.e. fords and commodores as every tom, dick and harry have one with the same factory system a thief can pretty much guess whats in the car, learn how to get around it and then steel it!
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Immobilisers Fri, 14 October 2005 04:17 Go to previous message
http://www.evopwr.com has a car security document that is worth a read.
Basically if you have the time you can get past most alarms, wire direct to fuel pump, direct to ECU and 12V to starter gets around most alarms if you have the time to do it. Put in stuff like cutting power to the injectors, cutting feed from the crank angle sensor etc and it makes life FAR more difficult.

Callum
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AW11
Next Topic:Lakeside Raceway update- heritage listing dropped, fate of track rests with local council
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:02:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058121681213379 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.