Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
deviant
Occasional Poster

September 2005
AW11 Thu, 13 October 2005 06:36 Go to next message
Ok so i was on here a few weeks ago asking about a 1978 Celica GT, i have decided against buying it for a number of reasons nothing to do with the quality of the car, its just not for me!

Anyway ive made my mind up and i will be importing a Supercharged AW11 early next year.

Ive tried to read as much as i could about them before posting any questions but im still sorry if im asking silly questions!

I think i will have around $2500-$3000 left after buying the car and paying insurance, rego etc so what would you mod on the car for that money? The car will be used for some track days and road use.

Im thinking: Sticky tyres, uprated brake pads, replacement panel filter, water spray for the I/C, bigger supercharger pulley and an exhaust system.

Am i way off on this and is that gonna cost more than the budget?

Lets say i can get all that for my money what sort of powergain will i get?im not looking for a huge gain as handling and reliability are more important to me.

Can anyone tell me how reliable the standard engine internals and transmission are?What sort of power/abuse can they handle?

I dont mind saving up for a heavy duty clutch but i dont want to have to start buying engine internals or stronger gear sets, as i said before handling and reliability are what im after!
  Send a private message to this user    
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 Thu, 13 October 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally I reckon the way to go, if your only after a bit more power and more handling, I would chuck on a pulley, get a stronger clutch and most of all change the suspension, new springs, shocks and swaybars. the standard SC doesn't perform as well in the handling department as the standard NA, mostly because the exrta rear end weight, but also it has smaller front sway bar then the NA and no rear unlike the NA.

clutch aren't to great I hear under alot of high speed launches, the engine internals are pretty damn strong, no problems there, the gear boxes are also damn strong, but do suffer the aging synrcos so they will graunch a little.

If you wanna look at NEVO pulleys go the aw11 owners annonymos thread page 79, one of the guys has just had a problem with his NEVO and has done some damage, it all detailed about it there though, and how you should avoid it

stuff the water spray, stuff the panel filter, not much gain, tyres are an everday thing, and uprated brakes pads might be the way to go
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 Thu, 13 October 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are really keen on getting an AW11 read through the entire aw11 anon thread. There is a shitload of information in there.

The AW11 is really a great car. Not overly practical as a daily but not too bad either.

A true driver's car Smile
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 Thu, 13 October 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bin the air to air and get a water to air aswell.

I have found a few people saying that their inlet temps are reaching up to 90 degrees C on stock (max) boost. On days with ambient temps of 25 deg C. Then with the water to air (albeit a very good setup) they have inlet temps of 45 deg C MAX when running 23 PSI

Plus you can pick up subaru liberty W2A coolers off ebay for 50 bucks
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 Thu, 13 October 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ur gonna import ur aw11sc direct from japan, forget modding for now
just concentrate on fixing what ever needs you never know might end up spending all your leftover money on general repairs and stuff
you might find your aw11sc might even comes with few goodies already fitted
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: AW11 Thu, 13 October 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^ very smart bit of info.

very little import cars are perfect for rego
you'll need to fix stuff to get past rego
and dont be tempted in buying bits before you get the car...

things like steering wheels etc. are fine, just no mechanical bits.

my cousin bought a brake booster for his skyline, when he went to install it, he found that was one already there.

and in the worst case senario, be prepared to spend big bucks if the engine roots itself, this isnt just for imports, it can happen with any car.

Eldar.O.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 Fri, 14 October 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont bother importing one.. for the cash you save the headaches are more then its worth. esp if your not in japan to check out the car itself.

buy one locally they are pretty well priced and you can check it out properly.

i say this from experience i imported mine and it turned out to be a 6 month pain in the arse. luckly it turned out to be quite a good car. but there are plenty of lemons around.

pulley is the wtg for instant more power, im the one who's nevo has given up but i wont bag the product becasue they are exceptionally well put together and i dont feel mines failure is a failure of the product itself more a failure of my key which has started a chain reaction of mess.

keep an eye on the aw11 owners thread as im currently investigating an alternative option to the larger crank pulley and should have an answer in the next few weeks.

they are awesome cars (we have two of them) they can be a prick of work on at times but are generally pretty good. and fantastic to drive.. did i mention how good to drive they are Razz

go read the aw11 owners thread start to finish for almost all the info on aw11's you could want.. if you want something a hint eaiser to read i have the entire thread saved as a PDF for easy searching just pm me and ill shoot you the ftp to get it.
deviant
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: AW11 Fri, 14 October 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help guys! Ive been looking at cars locally aswell as importing and in 2 months of looking i have seen a grand total of ZERO cars advertised locally!! Thats why im looking at importing. Very Happy

I would be using imports101 who claim the average import time is 8-12 weeks but may be slightly longer if you order at the wrong time of the month and miss the boat. The total time is also affected by how hard your vehicle is to compliance. Imports101 claim a 1988 AW11 will be quick and easy to comply. So far the only downside ive seen to importing is the possibilities of a long delay or getting a crud car but imports101 garuntee their service and the car, if the car gets here and its crud they will sell it for you and you get the money! From what ive read and heard the cars they import and the service they provide is exemplary (SP?)Your comments toof have been taken on board for consideration! Who did you import with?
Im still undecided on what is best but really i am struggling to find any AW11's in perth, ive seen them driving around but it seems people dont like to sell!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 Fri, 14 October 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah 1988 is the latest model you can import under the 15yr rule after they changed it.

Do those importers you mentioned test drive the cars in japan? As the biggest issue with these cars imho is f*cked 2nd and 3rd gear synchros.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 Fri, 14 October 2005 04:33 Go to previous message
i imported my car somewhat my self with the aid of a mate that imports them on the side.

some of the delays were his fuck up some were beyond his control.. DOTARS took 9 weeks !!!! instead of 21days to approve my import application etc etc.

the complicant side of it was a snap i did it all in my shed myself bar the intrusion bars which i dor put in for $100 per door cash job by a local importer LHD/RHD conversion shop. although if you had a welder and are more handy then me with it you could do it your self for bugger all cost.

they seem to come and go in phases how many there are aound for sale but seriously id wait for one locally.. it isnt worth the potential hassle for the imports..

but if you do import i wish you the best of luck and to give you an idea my car cost me Y114,000 in japan. thats a factory charger w/ 130,000km on board in good nick fairly unmolested.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 Half-Cuts what their worth ??
Next Topic:Immobilisers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:17:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039780139923096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.