Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 11:14 Go to next message
Wooo yet another thread in the tech section... god im good...

Ok, FINALLY got the 4AGE started about 20 mins ago, was so excited, like full on jumping around and shit... Anyway when I stopped jumping I noticed some excessive heat coming from the pass' side of my engine bay, I reached down to touch my ceramic coated extractors, and boom, my finger is burnt to a crisp within a milisecond.. I run to turn the ignition off, and look at the aftermarket temp gauge that has its sensor strapped to my extractors, 115 degrees celcius!! In under 30 seconds of the engine running!?

Could it be a water pump problem or something?? Sad

Kev.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahhahahahahahhaha Laughing Laughing Laughing

OMG... you touched your extractors!!!! maybe you need a warning label on them?

got strange timing or mixtures?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did it make "ploop ploop" noises before running very badly?

timing could be waaaay off, but i wouldnt get excited about exhaust manifold temperature.

PS dont believe anything you read on the internet (like being able to touch ceramic coated extractors) if it involves touching hot things!

water pump will have NOTHING to do with this at all, the exhauist manifold is not water cooled.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed sounds like timing
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah could be timing, when trying to rev the thing it almost stalled, and sounded very bad when running at idle too... But still I don't see how it would heat up that much that quickly... Could it be an oil/water problem too?

Also I was heavily exsagerating about the finger burnt to a crisp thing, I'm not stupid enough to hold my finger on an obviously hot thing until i start feeling pain, i touched it quickly, pulled away, and knew it was extremely hot from that quick touch.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bileve it has something to do with the mixture ignighting too early or something like that. basicially if the timing is too advanced then the engine will run hot.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just been told that over-filling the oil can cause the engine to run bad.. From a bit of research the 4AG takes about 3.3Ltrs of oil... I put in 4 and a bit litres... Anyone think this could be the problem?

Kev.

Edit: Or part of the problem lol...

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 13:19]

nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

If your timing is retarded, as well as hotter than normal exhaust, you will also notice when revving the engine that throttle response is absolute crap-house - the engine will seem reluctant to rev up, and also your exhaust will sound 'chuffier' and louder than you remember!
Also if you do get the revs up you may experience occasional misifiring.

Cheers, Nick

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 13:46]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 21:14

Wooo yet another thread in the tech section... god im good...

Ok, FINALLY got the 4AGE started about 20 mins ago, was so excited, like full on jumping around and shit... Anyway when I stopped jumping I noticed some excessive heat coming from the pass' side of my engine bay, I reached down to touch my ceramic coated extractors, and boom, my finger is burnt to a crisp within a milisecond.. I run to turn the ignition off, and look at the aftermarket temp gauge that has its sensor strapped to my extractors, 115 degrees celcius!! In under 30 seconds of the engine running!?

Could it be a water pump problem or something?? Sad

Kev.

if you answer questions in tech with knowledge you would be good,by asking lots of questions it means you know nothing about cars and you want to learn.
check timing,check watch to make sure it is 30 secounds.best way to clean an exhaust of fuel and or oil is to idle it for 30 minutes or so!think about it.
mick
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its overfilled you will notice when you check the dipstick

make sure the car is on level ground then check the dipstick if its over the full mark then you have a problem and you will need to drain some.

As for the timing buy yourself a timing light and set it to stock which i think is 10deg?
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude, if doing the timing doesn't fix you probelm, check your ecu!
This is exactly what mine did when my ECU decided to shit itself!
Hope it is just the timing!
Good Luck.
-Whitchy-
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Thu, 13 October 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4age ecu's arent too $$$ so dont stress too much
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got someone coming over today to fix the timing... Hopefully thats the only problem.. Thanks for the help peeps..

Kev.
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ecu i sold him was in good running nick, tested on another 4age before hand aswel.
if it is the ecu i guarentee it was not me..

ps: no refund Razz hahaha
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha the ECU is fine Razz, I'm 95% sure when the timing is fixed the engine will run fine...
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edit: thanks Kev

when ignition is retarded it does have the effect of causing increaded exhaust gas tempreture. Have u tried adjusting it yet?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2005 05:22]

Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wrong thread Sam Razz
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK fair bit of luck today, I did adjust the timing quite severely, had to give up early (I work and live at a caravan park and my exhaust is just too loud to be running every 2 minutes while i edit my timing at 8:30PM hahaha). I've had a good bit of progress though... At it's current point it sounds alot healthier and omg I can actually rev the thing without it stalling! (Still misfires like hell, but yeah). I'll have another go tomorrow night, and hopefully be able to spend a bit more time on it.

One question I need to ask though. What's the gap meant to be on 4AGE spark plugs? I got some 11's, should i bend them down a bit? I've heard its meant to run 8's...

Kev.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iirc, one of the 4AGE's was specced with 11's, but most motors run better with 8's... there7s a reason nearly all spark plug manufactuers supply plugs with 0.8mm gap.... it works Wink

so you are bridging the thingy and setting timing to 10deg?
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was me who went over. Unfortunately i didn't have the timing book on me (the thick one that tells how to change timing belt, reset crank and cam to zero and set distributor). i didn't know where the mark was, although i could see the dots on the cam gears but didn't know position where it should be zero.

the engine was misfiring very badly at startup, and yes the timing wasn't advanced enough so i guess fuel gets in too fast for ignition.

I wanted to be sure so i suggested Kev reset the cam and crank by moving the crank and making sure cam and crank are at zero before adjusting the distributor. COuld be the belt has jumped a tooth or something stupid like that.

Also when i advanced the distributor it ran slightly better but still not enough, so i took it out and moved it one gear advance, and hey it idles but still misfire, with a bit of rev capability. My suggestion was to research to see the dizzy position and how it's put in. i think it was taken out then put back in (maybe someone pinched it during delivery and swapped it?). I moved 2 gears and it had more rev but still misfire.

hope it works out and hey it was worth the trip, i loved the scenery. next time i go i won't rush and bring some friends to stay at the cabins, if we can find things to do around there!

cheers
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Fri, 14 October 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahah someone that appreciates Eildon for it's serenity. Again I want to thank you a HEAP Norman, without your help I would still be staring at it, shouting "WHY WON'T YOU RUN PROPERLY YOU BASTARD!".

Anyway after you left last night I moved it another 2 gears, seems to run a whole lot better and only misfires at a higher rev.

I'll be having another shot tonight, hopefully ill have it timed well enough to drive it, but otherwise, the mechanic from over the road will be comin on monday, and I'll just keep myself busy with putting shit back together (ie. my current mess of a dashboard).

Cheers,
Kev.
Black_KE70
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Sun, 16 October 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Kev,

Just been checking out your project website dude.. you're doin an awesome job man.
With your overheating problem, try replacing the temp sender or oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold (if it's an old one)I've had shitloads of ae82 SX seca's come into work with poor idle problems and missing, by replacing these parts and checking your TPS, you should be set, these 2 components control fuel ratio and exhaust pressuse and heat.
Try checking your air flow meter aswell, as these are also a common fault in early 4A-GEs
Glad to help anytime dude
Kane
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Sun, 16 October 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 09:05

Anyway after you left last night I moved it another 2 gears, seems to run a whole lot better and only misfires at a higher rev.

oh god....!!

just set the cam timing correctly, then set the spark timing correctly and it will be fine.. stop fucking around Razz
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Sun, 16 October 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol sorry for fucking around!@111shift+1 (sarcasm)

OK after finding a vacuum leak (and fixing it) and editing the timing so damn much that I'm sick of unbolting the dizzy, I've now confirmed that my exhaust cam is probably out two gears or so.

I have a mechanic coming around tomorrow hopefully (his workshop is just across the road), and I'll get him to reset the timing and figure out what is wrong. So hopefully tomorrow I'll FINALLY be on the road. I'll post the result of what infact is wrong for future reference.

Cheers,
Kev.

Edit: oh and thanks for the good comments Black_KE70 Wink. By the way, AFAIK only US and Europe 16V 4AGE's came with AFMs.. Mine is MAP sensed...

[Updated on: Sun, 16 October 2005 12:13]

Black_KE70
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Mon, 17 October 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go hard dude, hey you wouldnt have any KE70 lowered springs anywhere? i need to drop mine it's like being on a roller coaster
Update your web page when u get it up and running man..
later
kane
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Tue, 01 November 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did u ever get this totally sorted?
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4AGE heat problem :( Tue, 01 November 2005 12:41 Go to previous message
Not yet, the cams were actually perfect, mechanic still hasn't come around... lazy bastard... But anyway I bought myself a new dizzy and dizzy cap and it seems to run better, but I have a few theories as to why its still running half-assed...

Gonna give those theories a go. In any case I'll post the solution here.

Kev.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GUIDE - How to wire up thermofans
Next Topic:air con help needed in soarer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 01:53:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055351257324219 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.